Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ruffage

Nutrition for lots of hockey over short time period?

Between Nov 1 and mid March I go through a weekly 'grind', as I like to call it, where I skate for 4 hours total in a 16 hour window. Fri 8-9pm, 10pm-midnight, then Sat 11am-noon. It's not terribly high level hockey nor competitive, but I always enjoy playing more when I have energy. No one wants to feel gassed on the ice. By the second hour in the later skate on Friday I'm usually starting to feel it, and Saturday morning I'm usually running on empty.

Wondering if anyone has some advice on specific nutrition (food/supplements/whatever) for both leading up to playing and the in-between game breaks. One of the hardest parts is both trying to fall asleep Friday night and getting restful sleep so any specific stuff to try that will both replenish energy and allow/help me to sleep well would be most appreciated. I know the basics of loading up on healthy carbs for energy beforehand, combined with rehydrating, electrolytes, etc, but perhaps there are some specific things I can try for each stage of the 'grind'. I know there have been other nutrition threads but I felt this was sort of a unique case since I'm trying to squeeze a good night's sleep in between skates. Thanks!

Carb load the day of, 4-5 hours prior so it has time to digest.

Simple sugars (fruits are better than candy/soda) right after you get off the ice at 9pm and midnight to replenish your glycogen stores.

The biggest thing for me is to drink a protein shake with a banana and some peanut butter before playing to avoid the 3rd period crash, and after (on the way home) playing, so I don't get the munchies as bad when I get home and I can get to bed and go to sleep quicker.

Lean protein on the off-days, limit complex carbs, avoid simple carbs.

Lots of colored veggies/fruits to stay healthy--studies show they can both help avoid the common cold as well as long-term ailments.

I also take a B-complex vitamin (or half of one) if I'm really dragging ass in the morning after a late game.

While you are getting dressed for the game have some jelly beans or similar candy that is easy to digest. It will help keep the glucose levels up during the game. I usually drink a small coffee about an hour before the game. Just enough to get a little caffeine running through me. If you do this just make sure you are well hydrated.

Stay away from energy drinks.

PB&J about an hour or so before the 1st game (stole this from Crosby), then I'd go with a protein shake or bar (shakes probably better) right after the first game, and then some energy chews or gels (clif shot bloks or honey stingers) right before the second game. After the the late game try a turkey dish instead of chicken or beef(turkey and pasta for example) that way you're still getting a good lean protein and the tryptophan in the turkey might help with sleep

Thanks for the ideas so far. I have a sweet tooth so any legit excuse to eat some candy is worth a shot. PB & banana or jam seems to be a common theme, I've been recommended that elsewhere so it sounds like a safe bet. I don't drink coffee ever, and tea very seldom, but one idea I did have was to try and get a bit of caffeine somehow before the morning game for a bit of a mental boost, so I'll try that. Turkey is a great idea for the sleep factor, however I've read that it's not the turkey that makes us sleepy after a feast, but the excessive carbs that normally go with it(?). Aside from that it's still a good idea as a lean protein.

On a somewhat turkey-related note I wonder if a melatonin supplement after the Fri late game would help with sleep? Maybe a bit excessive though, I don't know. Studies seem to show no real side effects.

At the supplement end of things, what about all-in-one type powdered drinks like Biosteel's Advanced Recovery Formula? Tried some a while ago and it seemed pretty good, but expensive. Another I found recently was Nutrabolics' Athlete's Food which has a mixture of proteins, slow burn carbs, as well as an assortment of nutrients, EFAs and green/'super' foods. While I prefer 'real' food, my wonder is whether it would be absorbed more quickly and easily. Specifically for after the late Fri game. Quick and easy to consume.

Thanks for the ideas so far!

Protein shake powders are about 20% the cost of the premixed stuff in a bottle or carton. Mix with milk, ice, and a banana, and you can have a "milkshake" for about $0.80. I find it helps cut my craving for sweets. I have a family history of diabetes, so it's gotten me a lot more conscious about not feeding my sweet tooth and I latched onto shakes as an alternative. If you want some superfoods, throw a handful of kale, spinach, carrots, etc. in the blender with the shake. The protein powder and peanut butter cover a lot of the taste/texture. I hate kale, but know it's good for me! :lol:

A buddy of mine also recommended pasteurized eggs which are also easily dropped in the blender...you can buy them from the store or pasteurize at home by cooking them at 142ºF for 3min.

I've tried Hammer Nutrition HEED powder in my water bottle--but since I never really cramped and don't have a problem pushing water intake during playing, I didn't notice any huge difference.

How do you sleep on non-game nights?

I really have no problems sleeping, it was just the need for calories that had me hitting the fridge instead of the pillow.

You know you're bonking, so I'd suggest the quick nutrients before/after playing and see if that does the trick. If you're still not sleeping, then try the sleep aids.

I use a recovery drink after I skate at night and it helps me feel more clear the next morning. the stuff I use is Vega Recovery Accelerator in their apple berry flavor. I do notice a difference on days I use it vs days I don't, however it does have a small caffeine content so you will want to make sure you use it hours before you want to go to bed. turmeric capsules, or eating foods with turmeric, can help with inflammation.

Protein shake powders are about 20% the cost of the premixed stuff in a bottle or carton. Mix with milk, ice, and a banana, and you can have a "milkshake" for about $0.80. I find it helps cut my craving for sweets. I have a family history of diabetes, so it's gotten me a lot more conscious about not feeding my sweet tooth and I latched onto shakes as an alternative. If you want some superfoods, throw a handful of kale, spinach, carrots, etc. in the blender with the shake. The protein powder and peanut butter cover a lot of the taste/texture. I hate kale, but know it's good for me! :lol:

A buddy of mine also recommended pasteurized eggs which are also easily dropped in the blender...you can buy them from the store or pasteurize at home by cooking them at 142ºF for 3min.

I've tried Hammer Nutrition HEED powder in my water bottle--but since I never really cramped and don't have a problem pushing water intake during playing, I didn't notice any huge difference.

How do you sleep on non-game nights?

I really have no problems sleeping, it was just the need for calories that had me hitting the fridge instead of the pillow.

You know you're bonking, so I'd suggest the quick nutrients before/after playing and see if that does the trick. If you're still not sleeping, then try the sleep aids.

To clarify I did mean powdered drink/shake mixes, only with carbs and other nutrients on top of just protein. I've used whey protein for a while after workouts etc, but was thinking a more comprehensive powder mix would be best for this sort of recovery. And yeah, the cheaper the better!

I sleep fine normally, it's just tough to wind down mentally after 3 hours of skating, even though I'm physically exhausted. Thinking about having to wake up the next morning probably doesn't help either.

I use a recovery drink after I skate at night and it helps me feel more clear the next morning. the stuff I use is Vega Recovery Accelerator in their apple berry flavor. I do notice a difference on days I use it vs days I don't, however it does have a small caffeine content so you will want to make sure you use it hours before you want to go to bed. turmeric capsules, or eating foods with turmeric, can help with inflammation.

I have used some Vega products before, I have some of the Vega One shake mix right now actually. Tried their pre-workout drink years ago. But yeah, any caffeine at all is a no-go for after the games Friday.

I have heard some good feedback on Curcumin (the active component of tumeric from what I understand), but read it may have some carcinogenic properties to go along with all the good stuff. So I've been hesitant to try it. Definitely feel the aches and pains Saturday morning waking up though, so something to combat that would be great.

To clarify I did mean powdered drink/shake mixes, only with carbs and other nutrients on top of just protein. I've used whey protein for a while after workouts etc, but was thinking a more comprehensive powder mix would be best for this sort of recovery. And yeah, the cheaper the better!

I sleep fine normally, it's just tough to wind down mentally after 3 hours of skating, even though I'm physically exhausted. Thinking about having to wake up the next morning probably doesn't help either.

I have used some Vega products before, I have some of the Vega One shake mix right now actually. Tried their pre-workout drink years ago. But yeah, any caffeine at all is a no-go for after the games Friday.

I have heard some good feedback on Curcumin (the active component of tumeric from what I understand), but read it may have some carcinogenic properties to go along with all the good stuff. So I've been hesitant to try it. Definitely feel the aches and pains Saturday morning waking up though, so something to combat that would be great.

actually I think I am mistaken, their pre workout has green tea extract but I think the recovery stuff doesn't. I will have to relook at the label.

actually I think I am mistaken, their pre workout has green tea extract but I think the recovery stuff doesn't. I will have to relook at the label.

Had a look on their site earlier, only the pre-workout mentioned caffeine, which would make sense I guess. If the recovery one has none I might give it a try. Have you tried the 'tropical' flavour as well?

pizza and beer usually does the trick for me

pizza for the carbs

beer for the electrolights

My brain craves pizza and beer but it's bad news in the morning haha.

Had a look on their site earlier, only the pre-workout mentioned caffeine, which would make sense I guess. If the recovery one has none I might give it a try. Have you tried the 'tropical' flavour as well?

My brain craves pizza and beer but it's bad news in the morning haha.

wasn't as much a fan of the tropical. you might like it though. I suppose I would like the tropical in a smoothie with some banana, coconut milk, and pineapple chunks. There may be cheaper recovery drinks out there, but I can only speak to vega. I also like to eat dates for energy before I skate as a pre skate snack, I cant do the pre workout stuff by vega because I seem sensitive to caffeine so I try to avoid it when I can.