Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiskyBryzness

Just got my first pair of skates, what else do I need? (6'8", 185 lbs)

I am trying to get into ice hockey as a 22 year old who has never skated but has played street hockey. I just ordered a pair of skates after getting sized at TotalHockey.

I am looking into 17" or 18" shin pads as well as Large-Tall or Extra Large-Tall pants and then large shoulder pads and a large (hat size 7 5/8) helmet.

I am hoping to be able to buy some of this used as I am on a budget, or just buy the lower-end stuff for now. I am definitely going to get shin guards and pants, but are shoulder pads necessary early on in a very low level pick-up setting?

Thanks in advance for any help, I can't wait to get out there on the ice!

Here is my current HockeyMonkey shopping cart, let me know if you have any suggestions. I am hoping to find used shin, elbow and shoulder pads but likely need to buy pants and helmet new, right?

WifmPVN.png

I agree that you go low budget as a a beginner because most players tend to upgrade after they have played a bit and better know what they want and how they fit.

Did you try on gear at TH?

Shin Guards, are you going to wear them over or under your skate tongues? If you go under most tend to go shorter, over longer.

Do you have larger or smaller than avg arms, this will dictate the size.

I think shoulder pads are a good idea because you never know when you are going to fall awkward in to the boards or another player and or catch a puck in the chest.

YMMV.

I agree that you go low budget as a a beginner because most players tend to upgrade after they have played a bit and better know what they want and how they fit.

Did you try on gear at TH?

Shin Guards, are you going to wear them over or under your skate tongues? If you go under most tend to go shorter, over longer.

Do you have larger or smaller than avg arms, this will dictate the size.

I think shoulder pads are a good idea because you never know when you are going to fall awkward in to the boards or another player and or catch a puck in the chest.

YMMV.

I tried on gear at TH and they sized me at a 17" shin pad, wearing under the tongue. I have decently long arms, but definitely skinny.

To me, if you're getting sized at TH it's worth the piece of mind to spend the slight extra amount of money and get it directly from the store, rather than using the store like a fitting room and then ordering online. That saves the time of waiting for things to arrive, ensures that what you try on is EXACTLY what you purchase, and makes returns much easier if you get home and decide it's not 100% right. Plus, making friends with the guys/girls at the store is always helpful.

Since you are buying literally every single piece of equipment, it's worth talking to someone at the store to see if you can get a discount thrown on top. The worse thing they will say is "no."

Top-down list:

- Helmet with Cage

- Mouth Piece*

- Shoulder Pads

- Under Shirt*

- Elbow Pads

- Wrist Guards*

- Gloves

- Stick

- Stick Tape

- Hockey Pants

- Undergarment: Compression Pants/Garter Belt/Jock (make sure it comes with the cup--you'll want to protect the giblets with a cup, especially when a puck or stick finds it way there)

- Hockey Socks (go over shin guards--recommend buying knit socks or the Reebok Edge SX100s that have velcro strips-> and if you go this route make sure your jock has velcro as well)

- Shin Guards

- Shin Guard Tape (helps keep the shin guards in place--clear tape seems to work the best)

- Hockey Socks (for your feet)* (recommend compression socks, but it's personal preference)

- Skates

- Pucks (6 oz is standard)

- Equipment Bag

*Optional for now, but recommended when/if you start playing in games

Most important thing to go expensive on: Helmet

Just keep in mind equipment fit is always #1. It doesn't matter how expensive or what new technology it has since it won't protect you if it doesn't fit correctly.

How tall are you? I'm 6'-6" and 17" shins are a little too long for me under my tongues.

Weight? (will help us with shoulder/pants/elbows size suggestions)

7 5/8" head--round, oval, or long oval?

How tall are you? I'm 6'-6" and 17" shins are a little too long for me under my tongues.

Weight? (will help us with shoulder/pants/elbows size suggestions)

7 5/8" head--round, oval, or long oval?

6'8", 185lbs it's in the title of the post

:facepalm: Sorry! You're about my build. I float between 186# and 190#.

Welcome to the sport!

Those 17" 55S shins should fit you fine. I got a pair on sale this winter, then bought a pair of 75S when the local sporting goods store was clearing out their Easton stuff. I like the 75S shins much better, but both are a good fit for narrow calves.

You're probably between a M and L for elbows. L should be fine and will be a tad longer.

Elbows are kind of a subjective fit. Like helmets and skates, different brands fit different peoples' forearms/elbows/biceps differently. Try before you buy.

XL pants are going to be WAAAY too girthy. See if you can find some L Long pants. I wear some older Nike/Bauer L pants that are long enough. Even with L, I still wear suspenders to keep them up. M is about right for waist, but gets too short in length.

Those Nexus 4000 are decent shoulders.

The 2100 helmet has fairly stiff/uncomfortable padding. See if you can find a 5100/5500 somewhere on sale.

The Easton Stealth series of shin pads are good if you like a slim profile. Another detail to think about is the straps. I prefer the style you find on most Bauer and Warrior shin pads where the top strap goes on the front of the pad. I get a more snug fit and the velcro cannot irritate the back of my leg if it comes loose.

With the 2100 helmet, it is entry level and it may be something you will want to upgrade in the near future. It may be more cost-effective to invest in a better helmet up front but make sure fit is still the most important decision criteria for you. Some of the models mentioned (ex. 5100 and 5500) are discontinued and will be difficult to find. Even the successor to the 5500 helmet, the 7500, will have its fair share of problems despite being a more expensive helmet. The gel pads tend to shift and may come out depending on how you sweat.

As tempting as it may be to purchase everything online, your best bet may still be going into your LHS to get fitted. Most shops will match prices it will be much easier to go into your LHS to handle any warranties/returns compared to shipping things back and forth.

The Easton Stealth series of shin pads are good if you like a slim profile. Another detail to think about is the straps. I prefer the style you find on most Bauer and Warrior shin pads where the top strap goes on the front of the pad. I get a more snug fit and the velcro cannot irritate the back of my leg if it comes loose.

With the 2100 helmet, it is entry level and it may be something you will want to upgrade in the near future. It may be more cost-effective to invest in a better helmet up front but make sure fit is still the most important decision criteria for you. Some of the models mentioned (ex. 5100 and 5500) are discontinued and will be difficult to find. Even the successor to the 5500 helmet, the 7500, will have its fair share of problems despite being a more expensive helmet. The gel pads tend to shift and may come out depending on how you sweat.

As tempting as it may be to purchase everything online, your best bet may still be going into your LHS to get fitted. Most shops will match prices it will be much easier to go into your LHS to handle any warranties/returns compared to shipping things back and forth.

I agree. Since you're new to the world of hockey equipment, get fitted at a LHS (a good one) and buy from them directly (to make returns/warranties easier). Ask them to be competitive in pricing, and ask if they'll throw in any perks (like free sharpening, free equipment mods, etc) Doesn't hurt to ask. Then over time, when you're more in tune with equipment fit, it's fine to buy online.

XL pants are going to be WAAAY too girthy. See if you can find some L Long pants. I wear some older Nike/Bauer L pants that are long enough. Even with L, I still wear suspenders to keep them up. M is about right for waist, but gets too short in length.

Look into Tackla pants in long length. Yes they're more expensive than what you're considering, but you're going to have a hard time finding something that will fit otherwise.