Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fastmiele

AHL goalie stops two on zero breakaway by dislodging net

I would expect a rule change to allow an awarded goal in a situation like that. The league will not want that to start happening on a regular basis.

I think it should be changed as cause for a penalty shot if the net is dislodged on a breakaway.

It did result in a penalty shot which the goalie knew because as soon as he did it he tried to make the penalty shot signal. What goalie wouldn't prefer a penalty shot over a two on zero?

Automatic goal is the only way to go.

And automatic ejection of the goaltender for a blatant act like this. Something like the old "gross misconduct" penalty.

Silly move as it was obvious but you got to love his efforts to play it off... shrugging his shoulders. I can just hear him, 'What? It just came off. Aliens were here!"

Andy in Peoria

Very cheap play, I agree with the automatic goal. Funny thing is the pass the guy made was way off so the goalie really didn't even need to do anything!

Don't agree with auto ejection (you're down to only one goalie) or even automatic goal (no guarantee you score on a 2-0 anyhow), but agree there should be supplemental discipline for this besides a penalty shot. Create something like the "Leggio Rule", much like the "Sean Avery Rule" (when he distracted Brodeur). Allow a penalty shot, and if the penalty shot is missed, add on an additional 5 minute major PP against the goalie. Repeat offenders will serve a suspension without pay and possible fine by the league.

Don't agree with auto ejection (you're down to only one goalie) or even automatic goal (no guarantee you score on a 2-0 anyhow), but agree there should be supplemental discipline for this besides a penalty shot. Create something like the "Leggio Rule", much like the "Sean Avery Rule" (when he distracted Brodeur). Allow a penalty shot, and if the penalty shot is missed, add on an additional 5 minute major PP against the goalie. Repeat offenders will serve a suspension without pay and possible fine by the league.

That sounds interesting.

If your goalie pulls shit like this you deserve to be down to one goalie for the rest of the game.

Well, clearly the AHL doesn't agree with me...lol.

My rationale was that if you're reduced to one goalie (and no backup) and said remaining goalie gets hurt... what kinda hockey game does that lead to when a positional player most likely would have to strap on the pads? It would be comical (not to say dislodging the net isn't either); much akin to when positional players pitch in baseball.

Thinking about it a bit more, what I would have done was:

-award a penalty shot to be taken by anybody on the ice at the time of penalty. (maybe even anyone on the team?)

-automatic one game suspension with no pay and max league fine for a "Leggio"

-repeat offenders will get longer automatic suspensions

I'm gonna guess that goalies are not going to want to lose pay (especially at the minor league level) when the trade off is having someone score a goal off of them on a two on O.

Just my two cents.

p.s. the rationale for awarding a 5 min major would be that now a team could score multiple goals off a play that could have resulted in a single goal, but it's still not automatic (just like scoring on a 2-0 is not automatic) However, thinking about it, it might be too excessive.

Here is my radical idea for those who don't like what the AHL is doing, the play results in a penalty shot of sorts. If it was going to be a 2-0 then the offended team is awarded a 2-0 rush similar to how a penalty shot works except the puck is allowed to move sideways and backwards so long as the play continues forward.

The responses to this are predictable. I feel differently.

Leggio exposed a flaw in the rules. The league has already issued a rule change because of this. The game of professional hockey will be better, more fair, and less broken as a result.This is in no uncertain terms a good thing for everyone.

If your goalie pulls shit like this you deserve to be down to one goalie for the rest of the game.

I agree

My rationale was that if you're reduced to one goalie (and no backup) and said remaining goalie gets hurt... what kinda hockey game does that lead to when a positional player most likely would have to strap on the pads? It would be comical (not to say dislodging the net isn't either); much akin to when positional players pitch in baseball.

It's easy enough to avoid, when you're talking about a premeditated act like this.

Goalies get tossed when they fight, getting tossed for this would be no different. They are making a conscious decision that results in consequences of which they are well aware.

The responses to this are predictable. I feel differently.

Leggio exposed a flaw in the rules. The league has already issued a rule change because of this. The game of professional hockey will be better, more fair, and less broken as a result.This is in no uncertain terms a good thing for everyone.

I agree. Yes, it was a cheap move, but I won't hate on the goaltender for it. It wasn't against the rules, right? Bravo!

I agree. Yes, it was a cheap move, but I won't hate on the goaltender for it. It wasn't against the rules, right? Bravo!

It was against the rules, that's why there was a penalty shot for the act. When actions damage the integrity of the game, leagues need to take action. Finding new ways to lower the bar should never be lauded.