Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnyo

High volume, narrow skate

I am in the market for some new skates.

I have skated for about 26 years and played hockey for about 23 years.

I am currently skating in a pair of Vapor X-Shifts, a Source for Sport SMU I bought in 2011.My skates are getting soft. I would describe my current skate fit as:

-My lace pattern looks like ( ). Hope that makes sense. If it doesn't I'll have to get some pictures.

-My Vapors are a 'D' width skate. They are too wide in the forefoot even in a 'D' width just by a touch.

-I have a very high volume foot so the skate bulges in the middle.

-The ankles on my Vapors feels too loose unless I crank on the laces as hard as I can.

-My right foot also pronates badly so I have to retie the skate several times. I use was laces.

Essentially I have a narrow foot that's very deep.

I have tried on Supremes, Vapors, Nexus, the new Tacks, and some Grafs in the past week or two. A Nexus is just deep enough but I would need a Vapor 'D' or a Supreme 'C' width. A Nexus is far too wide. The Tacks were good on depth but too wide in the forefoot. Since the Tacks were too wide we skipped trying on RBZs. The fitter didn't even want to bother with the Ribcors. The first LHS I went to told me I need a custom skate.

I then went to the other LHS that carries Graf. My preference would definitely be for a Bauer or even a CCM but if a Graf fits I'll wear it. I ran into a Graf rep at the second LHS who just happened to be in store that day. My foot spilled out of the top of a G75. I couldn't try on a 9035 because the store didn't stock that model. The Graf rep told me I would likely need a custom as well.

Is there any stock model I can try? Maybe an older model? I will go custom if needed but I have read a few times on this board that very few people actually need customs and that usually you can find a stock model to work. Suggestions? Or are customs really my only recourse? I appreciate the help.

You have my foot. Nothing off the shelf is going to work unfortunately. I'm in 7C/AAA APX 2s. Stock Supreme C is the same as stock Vapor D and still wasn't narrow enough for me.

I don't like offering or suggestion one thing to many people because like broken radio... but

I think custom boots are suitable for persons who have specially foot as you.

VH can make custom boots for you.

You measure your foot volume at 2points and trace your foot line onto the paper.

Probably he will make perfect boots for you.

I agree with other posters. Sounds like you need customs.

I was initially going to suggest either the new Tacks (which are mid width with surprisingly good volume) but you tried those already and didn't like them, or I was going to suggest Easton Makos, but sounds like customs, in your case, is the way to go.

Thanks for the replies to everyone. I'll have to find some Makos to try.

The Tacks were the closest in fit for me so far. The volume felt good and the store heat fit them for me. I did have 2 fit issues though. The forefoot was definitely too wide. And I experienced pain on the inside of my ankles especially my right pronating problem ankle. The salesman suggested a punch would fix my ankle pain. Would a punch fix my problem?

Seeing as Tacks fit the closest, are they are my best bet for customs? Anyone have experience getting CCM customs? I've seen threads about Bauers and Grafs only.

Custom you can get whatever you want built to your foot as long as the fitter knows what they are doing, regardless of brand/model.

Also recognize that there's a huge difference between "in-store" comfort and "on ice" comfort. I've tried plenty of boots that felt amazing just sitting around, and then when I put them through the rigor of an actual game/practice my heel would be slipping all over the place and it just wouldn't work. This is especially the case when boots are too wide because too much width=no pressure points = comfortable when static. This concept is why I'm 99.9% sure the tacks off the shelf wont work for you.

Custom you can get whatever you want built to your foot as long as the fitter knows what they are doing, regardless of brand/model.

Also recognize that there's a huge difference between "in-store" comfort and "on ice" comfort. I've tried plenty of boots that felt amazing just sitting around, and then when I put them through the rigor of an actual game/practice my heel would be slipping all over the place and it just wouldn't work. This is especially the case when boots are too wide because too much width=no pressure points = comfortable when static. This concept is why I'm 99.9% sure the tacks off the shelf wont work for you.

Cavs,

I won't be getting the Tacks. My foot didn't really touch the sides of the forefoot. I was tempted to buy them but I know they will just be too sloppy on ice.

You have my foot. Nothing off the shelf is going to work unfortunately. I'm in 7C/AAA APX 2s. Stock Supreme C is the same as stock Vapor D and still wasn't narrow enough for me.

Similar to me, I need 8C/AA or AAA in Bauer with an oversize toe-cap.

Sounds like customs are the route for the OP. Try contacting VH Footwear.

Thanks for the replies to everyone. I'll have to find some Makos to try.

The Tacks were the closest in fit for me so far. The volume felt good and the store heat fit them for me. I did have 2 fit issues though. The forefoot was definitely too wide. And I experienced pain on the inside of my ankles especially my right pronating problem ankle. The salesman suggested a punch would fix my ankle pain. Would a punch fix my problem?

Seeing as Tacks fit the closest, are they are my best bet for customs? Anyone have experience getting CCM customs? I've seen threads about Bauers and Grafs only.

Punching/stretching might help for the ankle pain but unfortunately the forefoot being too wide you cannot fix. I don't know of any method where you can compress the skate without compromising the integrity of the boot.

Methosb and Chadd, I did try a 709 Narrow. I forgot to mention it because I'm not a fan of Grafs at all. The 709 Narrows were too wide in my forefoot as well. Looks like customs are my next step. Thanks everyone.

I had huge issues with my ankles and the top of my feet in my skates. I went with Bauer NXG custom and that's probably one of the best decision I've ever made in my life. The pro rep perfectly measured my feet and made the proper adjustments. (ex. Putting a full size bigger upper, a Double felt tongue, better ankle padding, I skip the 2nd top eyelet when lacing, etc.) I also put some custom Sidas insoles inside. Everything now works great. I feel solid on the ice and don't feel any pain.

If you have foot issues, you should go for custom.