Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EJB

Supreme vs Nexus Fit - Skate

Son wears a Bauer One100 in an 11EE and he now considers it a perfect skate. Though took A LONG TIME to get that way. He has a really wide forefoot, had pain both sides(mostly outside) for a long time. I would have never lived with it, but he’s stubborn. Hell, he didn't say anything until recently. He struggles to change equipment, but it’s needed. When I ask him about the problems he had with the Supreme skates, he reports it was just the width, outside the worst, some pain inside, no other issues. Heel great, ankle great, top of foot great. I wonder if great means it didn't hurt like the sides, so it was fine, but he says no pain.

So think a very wide forefoot, flat foot, skinny ankle. Heel, not sure.

So how much difference is the Nexus line vs Supreme line, everywhere outside of the forefoot width? Everything about his current skate is perfect, except for the width in the forefoot. Moving to the Nexus(specifically the 8000's) would not be great if he was just switching problem points.

Trying on is not an option, I’ll mention that up front, as to avoid the obvious response. Meaning we cannot go into a local shop or drive 5 hours to try on multiple different skates in different sizes and widths. Local shop will have 3 or 4 size 11 skates total. None in the Nexus line, none in an EE.

I thought about the RBZ’s, but reading some of the concerns re: their build quality, has turned me off.

I can order the skates, he can try them on, get a decent feel for them and we can keep them or send them back. Before we go through all that, I'd like to get some input.

The Nexus is wider in the heel and has more volume as well. But I believe it also has a deeper heel that helps lock it in. They do describe it as a wider fit all around, so maybe it will work better. I went from One95's to NXG's and found the new ones to be wider in the front than the One95's were. Maybe try to find a clearance pair of NXG's or One.9's and if not go with the new 190's? And I don't know what your budget looks like, but could you order a pair of both from Icewarehouse? They give you free return shipping on skates, so you can get both, see what fits best, and send the other back.

If everything is perfect except the width, what about just punching out those specific hot zones for your son? That's easier & cheaper than trying to find a whole new skate.

If everything is perfect except the width, what about just punching out those specific hot zones for your son? That's easier & cheaper than trying to find a whole new skate.

I still have to buy skates, so I'm paying for new skates either way. If the Nexus line was a better fit, Supreme would be more expensive & more hoops to jump through, to get punched.

But getting them punched is an option I am considering, if the Nexus line did not work.

The Nexus is wider in the heel and has more volume as well. But I believe it also has a deeper heel that helps lock it in. They do describe it as a wider fit all around, so maybe it will work better. I went from One95's to NXG's and found the new ones to be wider in the front than the One95's were. Maybe try to find a clearance pair of NXG's or One.9's and if not go with the new 190's? And I don't know what your budget looks like, but could you order a pair of both from Icewarehouse? They give you free return shipping on skates, so you can get both, see what fits best, and send the other back.

Yea, I have thought about ordering 2 and sending back one. Though it guarantees me an extra step, I think it would be nice to have the immediate comparison. I have serious envy for those that can go into a local shop and try on all the major brands and lines of skates in their size, in one sitting....

Kinda feels dirty, someone is paying for that shipping.

So looks like, assuming I don't miss the UPS man(have to sign), he'll get to try on both the Supreme 190 and Nexus 8000 today. Wondering if I should have thrown in a pair of Tacks, just as a wildcard, as well.... Returning 2 pair of skates would have been not more trouble than returning one.

I was surprised to read that the Nexus 8000 is the lightest of the APX2, MX3 & 190's.....

How much of a difference is the 9ft radius on the 8000's going to be vs. what 10' on his One100's or the 190's?

Anyway, I'm interested to hear his thoughts of the skates out of the box.

So looks like, assuming I don't miss the UPS man(have to sign), he'll get to try on both the Supreme 190 and Nexus 8000 today. Wondering if I should have thrown in a pair of Tacks, just as a wildcard, as well.... Returning 2 pair of skates would have been not more trouble than returning one.

I was surprised to read that the Nexus 8000 is the lightest of the APX2, MX3 & 190's.....

How much of a difference is the 9ft radius on the 8000's going to be vs. what 10' on his One100's or the 190's?

Anyway, I'm interested to hear his thoughts of the skates out of the box.

Picked up the 190s a few weeks ago I have been on the ice with them at least 10 times if not more since I got them. I hardly noticed the move from a 9ft radius to a 10ft. Took me warm ups and a maybe a shift or two before it was unnoticeable.

Picked up the 190s a few weeks ago I have been on the ice with them at least 10 times if not more since I got them. I hardly noticed the move from a 9ft radius to a 10ft. Took me warm ups and a maybe a shift or two before it was unnoticeable.

I thought the Lightspeed 3(190s) was a 10' and LS Fusion was 9'.... Maybe that's just replacement steel?

I thought the Lightspeed 3(190s) was a 10' and LS Fusion was 9'.... Maybe that's just replacement steel?

Yes, LS3 has a 10' radius and the LS fusion edge a 9', replacement or not

sorry should have specified previously I was skating in the Supreme one70s which was a 9ft radius. Now in the 190s with the 10ft radius.

I'm surprised with the result. Wasn't close, him or me(our feet are VERY CLOSE, just mine are bigger).

Will be going with the 190's and I would have done the same.

imagejpg2_zps40585696.jpg

His sister didn't like either....

imagejpg1_zps4007de42.jpg

Oh, sooo run down from my eye/foot. 11EE Bauer Supreme 190 & Bauer Nexus 8000.

Minimal difference in width in toe box, maybe it's more in measure than feel/touch. I just expected more width and though there, not anything at my width I'd worry about. I'd say 190 snug, 8000 fit is not loose or snug, just there. That said, I'd prefer to work out than in.

Though volume seemed bigger in the box, instead of a running shoe, work boot. Nothing there is to be confused with weight or build, just fit. If the front of your foot and toes are bigger, sweet boot...if not, you're going to have some space.(both have wide feet, I've had bilateral bunionecomy, he'll need it)

Personally I didn't notice a ton of difference in the crown of the foot/bridge area. Both width and top/bottom? I'm not sure if that is build, or it's pretty inflexible area? Even walking and rolling, the Nexus may have a bit, but I'm not convinced that it wasn't just what I was looking for? (We're both flat footed)

The heel is noticeable volume for me. It's not terrible, I'm not even sure I'd disqualify a skate for it, thinking I'd lock in the bake, but it was fairly sloppy compared to the 190.

Again, I knew my foot was a bit smaller width related to his after surgery, but arch, heel, everything is relative. Oh & I'm longer by a size. But I was sure he'd roll with the Nexus....I was sure I'd roll with the Nexus. Crazy....but I'm not convinced the 190's aren't a little wider now, than the One100's?

We'll bake and roll.... Would pay $50 to switch out to the Fusion steel....

Oh, sooo run down from my eye/foot. 11EE Bauer Supreme 190 & Bauer Nexus 8000.

Minimal difference in width in toe box, maybe it's more in measure than feel/touch. I just expected more width and though there, not anything at my width I'd worry about. I'd say 190 snug, 8000 fit is not loose or snug, just there. That said, I'd prefer to work out than in.

Though volume seemed bigger in the box, instead of a running shoe, work boot. Nothing there is to be confused with weight or build, just fit. If the front of your foot and toes are bigger, sweet boot...if not, you're going to have some space.(both have wide feet, I've had bilateral bunionecomy, he'll need it)

Personally I didn't notice a ton of difference in the crown of the foot/bridge area. Both width and top/bottom? I'm not sure if that is build, or it's pretty inflexible area? Even walking and rolling, the Nexus may have a bit, but I'm not convinced that it wasn't just what I was looking for? (We're both flat footed)

The heel is noticeable volume for me. It's not terrible, I'm not even sure I'd disqualify a skate for it, thinking I'd lock in the bake, but it was fairly sloppy compared to the 190.

Again, I knew my foot was a bit smaller width related to his after surgery, but arch, heel, everything is relative. Oh & I'm longer by a size. But I was sure he'd roll with the Nexus....I was sure I'd roll with the Nexus. Crazy....but I'm not convinced the 190's aren't a little wider now, than the One100's?

We'll bake and roll.... Would pay $50 to switch out to the Fusion steel....

Nice update, and awesome dad! :smile:

Good God, you'd think by that review/description that I'd started my weekend early, being that we're heading to a tournament today.... :laugh:

Maybe I can translate that sometime today.