Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Sher-Wood T120 - flyers10

I'd like to first say thanks to JR, ModSquadHockey and Sherwood for opportunity to review this stick.

Stick testing: Sherwood T120
Lie: 5.0
Flex: 85
Grip? : Yes
Curve: Trouba PP92 (similar to Bauer P92)

About Me
6' 1"
185 lbs
43 yo
Play in an organized pick up group 3-4 times a week with an occasional stick time. Level is C-B. Take mix of snap shots and slappers with an occasional wrister.
Position : Wing and occasional D.

Sticks used recently

Base Nasty (most recent the past 6 months)

CCM Superfast (prostock)

APX 2

Mako II

Warrior Widow

First Impressions:

Found the big white box with Sherwood on it waiting for me the other day. Took stick out and it is insanely light. I thought my APX2 was light but this is like a feather. Played around with a green biscuit for a few minutes and that extra weight savings took a second to get used to as the stick moves so quick when stick handling.

Stick has clear grip finish. Nice tack to it. Similar to my APX2 grip, maybe a hair tad grippier. Has nice clean graphics on a black base. Inside has red upper stripe and Sherwood in white on shaft and T120 in white on the hosel. Back side has goldish outline of Sherwood with the inner coloring of the word being the texture of the shaft (pretty cool looking) and T120 in red on the hosel. The hosel and blade are a matte finish. I like the matte or sharkskin blade finish. Think they hold up better than gloss finishes.

The stick has flex cut markings on the back handle and a 4" free flex zone. When moving my hand down 3-4" and flexing it, it felt bit stiffer than at very top so not sure how accurate the free flex zone is. I only cut my sticks about 1", depending on the brand. I cut the T120 about 3/4" to start to get a feel of it on ice with the lie before cutting further.

I went with the Trouba (PP92) rather than the Stastny (PP26) as it is advertised as a lie 5.0 and I need that to get more blade on the ice. The PP92 pattern is just about a dead ringer compared to my APX2 P92. Been using a BC28 curve (kreps) so will need to adjust slightly with this.

Shaft is more squared and similar to Bauer Totalone or Eastons. Not as boxy but closer to that than the slightly rounded corners like on the APX line. It will take some time for me to get used to as I prefer the rounded edges if possible to find.

Blade feels stiff in the hand and when stick handling with the green biscuit it felt much stiffer than my BASE's blade. I tend to prefer a dampened to average blade feel and not super stiff and pingy. It will be interesting to see how this feels on ice.

Some shots of the stick:

pAO5m06l.jpg

3yIZewml.jpg

dtjMWPTl.jpg

H9XEaCfl.jpg

oK9YUX7l.jpg

Update:

Been using this on and off the past couple months. Going back and forth from it to a pro-stock real Tacks. Stick is so light but you do get used to it quickly. Helps with my slow hands. haha Has a good balance to it and not overly blade light.

The flex feels to play a little stiffer than the rating. As I am used to a bit whippier stick and old and lazy; it has taken longer to feel comfortable with the stiffness on my snap shot. Flex feels good for my wrist and slap shots. Loads up nicely on the slappers. I'd go with a 75 flex though a second time around.

Puck feel is decent. Bit pingy to me but nothing like I felt with a Ribcor (some will find the blade a slightly dampened feel and they are right. Compared to recent sticks I have used it still feels bit pingier to me) Hard passes need just a bit of cushion or they will bounce a little on you. You'll generally know where the puck is but there are other blades out there for better puck feel. At times the blade feels a bit thin on shots and to me not feeling solid on some shots. When I hit it right it does fly off the blade but doesn't seem as forgiving if shot is a bit out of the pocket. Shots off the toe lose their muster. If you're the type of player that likes a thin, stiff type blade that is medium feel in the dampened to pingy scale, I think you find the T120 would work well for you.

Durability wise it is holding up great. Blade is solid with minimal wear and the shaft still looks great even with shot blocks/deflections and minor slashes. Still is holding its pop and not softening up in the shaft or blade. With the extra $30-$40 savings over other top end sticks this could be valuable if you go throw sticks fast and looking to save money.

Been going back and forth between this and my Tacks. Stick has been holding up well. Still stiff and not even close to feeling whipped out. Same for the blade. Both shaft and blade have had very good durability. Only minor scrapes and chips on the shaft from deflections and occasional slashes. The blade has had no toe chipping or signs of damage on the heel. Can't talk highly enough of its' durability.

Been getting bit more used to the blade feel and having more control of the puck. Pop on the shots is still solid. Slappers, snap shots zip. For the price it really is a good all around stick. Might not be the very best at one specific thing but will be able to perform when you need it and be durable. I'd recommend it.

Had chance to use several more times. Still going strong. No issues with durability. Blade and shaft stiff and looking good. Clappers with the mid kick are one of its stronger areas but again still gets snappers off quick. This and BASE are great bang for your buck brands. Only weakness to me has been that it plays a bit stiffer. Other than that it is a winner from Sherwood.