Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stewie

Indoor Soccer!

sorry if a thread already exists on this topic, tried searching "soccer" and nothing really came up.

I am going to be joining an indoor soccer team for work, and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions what gear/ball to get for this endeavor. I imagine I just really need shoes, shins, socks, and the ball. Probably some spiffy soccer shorts too.

Thanks in advance!

When you say indoor, is it turf or a gym floor? Turf or firm ground (FG) studded shoes are good where you'll need indooor/futsal shoes for a gym.

It's an indoor AstroTurf like surface. I have only seen it once. The only rule they have about shoes is no cleats

And feel free to bend it like Beckham.

I will be lucky if I can get a shot on goal let alone any type of bending (not on ice).

Indoor soccer might have different rules. Check to ensure you know the rules before you spend any money on gear. Shin pads, Futsal shoes, are the min requirement. One league I played in had a stupid rule that shorts couldn't have pockets.

the only rule they list is that you need to have soccer or athletic type shorts, no khakis or things of that nature.

bought my turf shoes and a decent ball. Depending on how my knee feels today (twisted it pretty bad tuesday hockey) and how my head feels today (fighting off a cold) i might dribble around a little. One thing i am really glad i did was go to a soccer specific store for shoes. I had gone to a Dunhams retailer originally, because of a nice deal they had, but their selection was horrible, and the help was not great either (waited 30 minutes for someone to get to the shoe dept). At the soccer shop, i was assisted literally seconds after i got in the door, they had a huge selection, and i got to try on like 10 pair before i found the perfect fit (which unfortunately for me is a model it doesnt look like is offered anymore, but was sold at a nice discount).

Depending on the brand, check out sites like soccer.com that have a "See how this shoe fits" and you can compare it to other brands or older models. Helped me out with a bunch of online purchases as I couldn't find the type I wanted anywhere near me. I just use the shoes I have tried on before as a base and go from there.

yeah, I did some farting around at that site, but it doesn't seem like to me the volume portion ever changes just the size, which was weird considering I was noticing way different width/volume in different shoes. maybe I need to play with it some more. Our leader recently put out what jerseys we are getting, and I am going to look like a highlighter factory floor. Our jerseys are a neon green with blue arms, and my shoes are neon orange, almost pinkish (total90 shoot iv tf) I am considering completing things out with some neon yellow socks, some jams shorts, and make my entry music Blue Monday. this store has another location semi close to me, so I may check that one out and see if they had some of the adidas predator absolado in my size to try on, as those would be a great fit to the team kit.

I'm a bit biased due to employment, but adidas does put out a good range of indoor shoes. The freefootball line is a solid product as well. They are a bit lighter and more flexible than the predators, and tend to have better grip.

are they available for a turf form? another issue I was having with fit is that my foot runs a little wide

looks like they have the x-ite. I will have to try it on, its even on sale in a colorway that would work from adidas website.

I have seen a few the last couple years that had an almost dimple like outsole similar to an old golf shoe with rubber treads. The model I'm thinking of was called the freefootball topsala. Had some really nice rubber overlays on the upper for ball control/spin. Adidas will run wider than Nike but I'm not sure about other brands.

First game was today. Played I guess a Striker like role, was going to play D just because I am slightly more familiar with it from hockey and also played a little D like 9 years ago in random pickup games, but we only had two girls and they played D to conserve energy since they were out all game. Game dictated a more offensive role for me although I was doing a little back checking :) but mostly stayed on my point. Had a decent breakaway but shot went high. Otherwise I was doing a decent job pushing the play and passing off the backboards, got an assist on one of our goals and a few passes I made were off or I'd have had more. Oh, also I took the ball from the corner, went around a guy, and shot it in the net off the left foot. I was impressed with myself there having pin pointed a shot slightly off balance with my off foot. Overall I did much better than I expected.

One further thing I need advice on is some shin guards. The ones I bought were slip in adidas 50 guards without a sleeve and were fairly useless as the slid everywhere. Maybe the nike mercurial lite?

Some things to work on for next week, better passing and defensive positioning, oh and getting out of the way so I don't get rocked in the nose :)

One further thing I need advice on is some shin guards. The ones I bought were slip in adidas 50 guards without a sleeve and were fairly useless as the slid everywhere. Maybe the nike mercurial lite?

If you have slip in shin guards, you need the compression sleeves or tape for sure. Most of the adidas ones we have sold in the store come with the compression sleeves. I'd assume the Nike ones would have those as well. There won't be much of a difference between each brand's offerings, mostly just cosmetic.