Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goudgey

Best place to buy skates & gear in US?

Hi all,

I'm travelling to the US from Australia in March next year and while there hope to pick up some new skates and other bits and pieces of protective gear.

I'll be travelling to San Fran, Vegas, Houston, NY, DC & Boston and would love some advice as to the best places/stores to go to in each city (or which city is best to shop in - presumably better deals can be had in Boston than Vegas for example) in order to get the best deals on skates and gear?

The missus has us heading to Woodbury Common for a day. Any stores selling hockey gear there?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers all,

Mark

Hi all,

I'm travelling to the US from Australia in March next year and while there hope to pick up some new skates and other bits and pieces of protective gear.

I'll be travelling to San Fran, Vegas, Houston, NY, DC & Boston and would love some advice as to the best places/stores to go to in each city (or which city is best to shop in - presumably better deals can be had in Boston than Vegas for example) in order to get the best deals on skates and gear?

The missus has us heading to Woodbury Common for a day. Any stores selling hockey gear there?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers all,

Mark

Woodbury Common in NY? If thats the case I would say you are right in the middle of some pretty good hockey areas. If you go South to NYC/LI/NJ you're going to have a bunch of options. I used to live on Long Island and cannot comment on the shops down there anymore however if you make the trip up north into Albany NY we have a bunch of great shops.

Hockey Store N More is a small pro shop inside the Albany County Hockey rink. They have a bunch of sticks, protective and skates a very good selection for the size of the shop, there is a hockey giant about 5 mins away from there. They are exactly as they sound. However Hockey Store N more will price match and give the same discount as Hockey Giant. Head up north a little ways there is a play it again sports which has a decent selection of low - mid end gear and used gear same exit there is hockey town which has more hockey memorabilia and some sticks. Head up north about another 20 mins and there is Chase Hockey which I honestly only went in once but they used to be a bigger shop closer to Albany and they have a decent selection of gear in there.

Woodbury Common in NY? If thats the case I would say you are right in the middle of some pretty good hockey areas. If you go South to NYC/LI/NJ you're going to have a bunch of options. I used to live on Long Island and cannot comment on the shops down there anymore however if you make the trip up north into Albany NY we have a bunch of great shops.

Hockey Store N More is a small pro shop inside the Albany County Hockey rink. They have a bunch of sticks, protective and skates a very good selection for the size of the shop, there is a hockey giant about 5 mins away from there. They are exactly as they sound. However Hockey Store N more will price match and give the same discount as Hockey Giant. Head up north a little ways there is a play it again sports which has a decent selection of low - mid end gear and used gear same exit there is hockey town which has more hockey memorabilia and some sticks. Head up north about another 20 mins and there is Chase Hockey which I honestly only went in once but they used to be a bigger shop closer to Albany and they have a decent selection of gear in there.

Pure hockey in Carle Place is probably the biggest shop on Long Island, the Islanders have a pro shop in Syosset too.

http://www.purehockey.com/locations/store-locations&city=CARLE%20PLACE&state=NY

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=43367

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be sure to check out some of those stores that you suggest.

Are there any stores in Manhattan that would be worth checking out as well?

Hi, not a lot in DC, but if you drive about 30-40 minutes to Sterling VA, there is a Hockey Giant and a Total hockey about 3 miles from each other and 2 pro shops at the rinks in Ashburn and Reston. You can find what ever you need. Enjoy your trip.

There are 3 Hockey Monkey stores that will be less than an hour away from your stays in NY and Boston

Woodbridge, New Jersey

Norwood, Massachusetts

Derry, New Hampshire

The NH and MA stores are the largest of our stores

There's a Hockey Giant in San Jose, California

Not much in the way of large hockey shops in Vegas

Hockey Giant and Player's Bench in Texas

These are the largest stores I can think of off the top of my head. Anyone else feel free to add to the list :]

Safe travels and have fun !

When the Modsquad Summer Jam was held in Boston I stopped in at the Hockey Monkey in Norwood as well as the TSR in Salem, NH - www.tsrhockey.com.

As Josh mentioned the Norwood Hockey Monkey is huge and has a large selection. There were great deals to be had at TSR because their tent sale was going on at the time and there's also no tax in NH. It's a pretty big store with a nice selection as well.

Since there's no tax in NH your best bet may be to try to hit the Hockey Monkey in Derry, NH and the TSR in Salem, NH. You'll save the tax and I'm sure both of those large stores will have some old stock on clearance. Those stores are about 45 minutes from Boston and about 20 minutes from each other.

http://www.purehockey.com/

One in Norwalk CT. about an hour train ride from Grand Central but just off I95 on the way to Boston. It's right off the exit ramp. Turn left over the highway then a right and it's there on the right (pretty sure about those directions, double check to be sure) it's on the Darien / Norwalk border. if you were to take the train I think the Darien stop is best bet. There are always cabs and ubber at the station. You might be able to bum a ride back to the station from someone in the shop.

There's a sub-forum devoted to finding shops in specific areas. It might be helpful to search that to find out more about specific stores. http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/forum/81-hockey-rink-shop-locator/

So far, a vast majority of responses in this thread are regarding chain stores. In regards to pure dollar amount, these might be the places to find "the best deals," but I think most people regard the service in those places as hit or miss. I'd recommend finding a non-chain shop that gets good reviews. It might cost a little more, but it will still be cheaper that what you're paying in Australia, and you'll probably have a better experience.

In the greater Boston area, people (me included) have great things to say about Zwickers, which is about a half hour outside of Boston, and No Icing Sports, which is in New Hampshire, just under an hour out of the city.

Pure hockey in Carle Place is probably the biggest shop on Long Island, the Islanders have a pro shop in Syosset too.

http://www.purehockey.com/locations/store-locations&city=CARLE%20PLACE&state=NY

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=43367

For NY its not really a great area to buy gear.

Pure is nothing great.... kinda disappointing IMHO. The Isles Pro shop has some game used stuff but not a lot.

A few pro shops on LI are ok but not worth a special ride.

There is nothing in Woodbury Common.

In NJ, not far away, is a Hockey Monkey. Thats a better option.