Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

isk8byu

Neck Guard: Bib or no bib?

Anyone have any experience with neck guards and whether I should order a model with or without the bib? It would be for a mite level youth player. If there are new options out there, that would be good to know too. (Kevlar turtle necks type items??)

Thanks!

My daughter wears the shirt w/ the neck guard built in it, loves it. Far better than the stand alone collars IMO.

Thank you again...I was halfway joking when I said a Kevlar turtle neck, as hockey monkey doesn't have anything like that offered in their "neck guard" section. I can see the shirt style being much more comfortable than a stand alone...at least more comfortable than the Cooper neck rolls we wore when we were kids. Thanks again for pointing those out!

That's the exact model I've been using to ref for the last 3 years or so (neck guards are required for refs where I live). It's way more comfortable then the old thick seperate neck guard I used as a teenager. It's very flexible and light weight. Having it built into the shirt also makes it less likely you'll forget it or lose it since it's a bigger multi-purpose item instead of a smaller single purpose accessory.

That's the original premium version that's now on clearance at many stores. There's now a NG 37.5 Premium version. The 37.5 material is supposed to be more effective, but the old premium model is still a good shirt if you can pick it up for significantly less than the 37.5 version (if the price is close I'd definitely go for the new 37.5 version though).

Now I am just curious...is there padding in neck portion, or is it strictly for cut protection?

Just cut protection.....

Now I am just curious...is there padding in neck portion, or is it strictly for cut protection?

padding in the neck area doesn't really do much either though

I am glad to hear that...I think the cut protection is most important, but even more important is that it is comfortable enough that it gets worn consistently.

I'd recommend the Easton EQ5 BNQ model. I'm on my iPad so I can't link easily. My son loved his, hated the bulky, padded, stiff models offered by other manufacturers. It is thin and flexible without the bulky padding, so it offers the neck comfort of a shirt model. It is by far the most comfortable and least noticeable model, yet it has Kevlar for maximum cut protection.

I wouldn't consider a bib design unless you have a goalie. It would be overkill, bulky and decrease mobility and comfort.

Shirt designs have several drawbacks. Price being an obvious one. Tournament weekends being another. You are left with the choice of putting on the same wet base layer all weekend or purchasing several expensive shirts. Kids grow pretty quickly. The Velcro neck guards offer more flexibility in sizing than the shirt models and are cheaper to replace as the child grows.

Shirt designs have several drawbacks. Price being an obvious one. Tournament weekends being another. You are left with the choice of putting on the same wet base layer all weekend or purchasing several expensive shirts. Kids grow pretty quickly. The Velcro neck guards offer more flexibility in sizing than the shirt models and are cheaper to replace as the child grows.

Yes, price is a drawback. Tournament weekends and a wet base layer have not been. My daughter plays on 2 different travel teams(boys & girls), we seem to be in a couple tournaments a month and have not appeared to have that specific issue. Maybe the fabric just drys quickly or she just doesn't notice/talk about it?

In the end, I wouldn't base choice on that factor. Everything else, sure, there are certainly benefits to each. Ultimately, if you can find something that your kid doesn't notice he/she is wearing, thus wears it all the time(practice), you're winning.

+1 for the guard integrated into the shirt! That way you know they can't forget to put it on! No excuses.

My son uses the Bauer one mentioned above, but in the short sleeved version. With that said, he doesn't always wear the Bauer shirt, so he uses the Easton EQ5 BNQ (as mentioned above), which is pretty comfortable. He is good about using something, so it all works out.

Another thing he started using this year is the Swiftwick Cut Resistant Wrist Sleeve. One of his D partners on the team sliced their wrist during a practice. It's a one size fits all, so it may or may not work for small kids, but something to think about. I know, over protective parent, but hey, if they get used to wearing this stuff now, it will not be a struggle in the future!

As for the expense, the shirts may be somewhat expensive, but hey it's a drop in the bucket compared to what some people spend on skates or sticks alone!

how many of you guys use neck guards for beer league? been thinking of getting one(easton eQ5). thanks.

I do not & they seem almost non-exsistant from what I see. Strange, as I'd have my son wear one if he would, but as soon as he could drop it, he did.(though I never even considered it). Maybe the worried parent thing. Actually going to go check the wrist sleeves that CB1 mentioned, for my daughter. Have seen a few wrists sliced, never a neck(knock on wood & pray I never do, my family or anyone else).

Was actually talking with a colleague today about how few cuts(from skates) I've seen. Her BIL shattered a finger from a puck & we started talking hockey injuries. With boards, ice, sticks, pucks, bodies & razor sharp blades on the bottom of our feet....crazy how most games just end with a hand shake and beverage of choice(or parent snack)... (Hope I didn't just Jinx myself, though my son did miss 1/3 of his Sr. HS & travel season to a collarbone fracture)