Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Adding Brians Smart Toe Straps

When I found out you could buy "replacement" smart toe straps for Brians new pads, I immediately started wondering about how to add them to my pads (which are Brians S-Series). I figured since I already have the smart straps (and love them), why not go all the way?

As it turns out, I needed two pieces: a standard toe bridge made custom (because the holes in the S-Series are only 2" apart, instead of the usual 3"), and then the straps themselves. For the toe bridge, I had Sara @ PAW make me a set. I had her include an offset hole also in case the straps didn't work out for me and I wanted to use the bridge in the normal fashion.

Here are some pictures (click to zoom). First, just attaching the straps to the toe bridge (I did this first because I figured it would be awkward tying the cord after the bridge was already attached to the pads):

jdSAw3em.pngPgKIAL2m.pngioOX9vum.png8xrs9Yvm.png

And now a few pictures on my pads:

YgZPBWwm.pngMdTfA8Hm.png71cOexFm.png

So, how well do they perform? Exactly as expected! I now have a full range of motion when in the butterfly and have absolutely no strain on my ankles. When I get back up my pads generally go right back into place. These things also save me lots of time while in the room both putting them on and taking them off. Really could not be happier!

I want to get a set of these. I was just cleared to skate again this morning, so I hadn't thought about it. But when I looked today, of course everyone is out of stock!! grrr

Yeah. They're super popular. Total Goalie had them, then didn't, then had them again, and now are out again. Goalie Monkey sold out pretty quickly. I should have just bought them. But I wasn't sure I'd be able to play again.

I have been using the Smart Straps since February, and here's my take:

1) super easy to put on and take off your pads

2) The more they stretch, the better they feel

3) Even after some stretching, they still recentre the pad on the leg

4) The velcro comes undone quite easily; I tape mine down, though one bloke has a video on YouTube on how to install some fool-proof velcro.

I haven't had any issue with the Velcro coming undone, though I've seen others who have had the issue. I saw one person replaced it with plastic buckles... Not a bad idea.

Great idea, IMO.

If I ever start having issues with the velcro I may do just that (or just buy another set...)

Actually the only issue I've got is the way I've got them tied in, the knot pops through the smart strap holes sometimes.

I have worn them on Bauer Reactor 2000 pads (learner/roller pads) and my Vortek pads. I tied them with a square knot outside of the toe bridge.

just ordered these tonight using my $25 in Rebound Rewards from Goalie Monkey! I also used the summer15 online code for 15% off...but i think that didnt matter since the total wasnt more than $25, haha!

I may have to take mine off and go back to bungees. I haven't had the problems that others have had like the velcro coming undone. But I just got new pads (Gnetik 2's) and the Smart Toes don't allow enough slack in the toe. They are pulling the toe too close to my foot, and therefore the pad too cloose to, and high on, my legs. That's the big flaw in them, imo. There is not enough adjustability.

I may have to take mine off and go back to bungees. I haven't had the problems that others have had like the velcro coming undone. But I just got new pads (Gnetik 2's) and the Smart Toes don't allow enough slack in the toe. They are pulling the toe too close to my foot, and therefore the pad too cloose to, and high on, my legs. That's the big flaw in them, imo. There is not enough adjustability.

I'm surprised you'd have any issue with the smart toes. They're stretchy enough that it should feel almost like they aren't there at all. They keep your toe nice and close when in your stance but stretch as far as you need them to in your butterfly. You shouldn't need slack in your toe with them.

I'm surprised you'd have any issue with the smart toes. They're stretchy enough that it should feel almost like they aren't there at all. They keep your toe nice and close when in your stance but stretch as far as you need them to in your butterfly. You shouldn't need slack in your toe with them.

That's the issue, they are keeping the toe too close, and there's no way to adjust it. I had them on my Gnetik 1's with no problem. But on these, the boot is so much shorter that it's like the Smart Toes are pulling the boot up on top on my skate. If I pushed down on them to get the boot lower and away from the skate, the pads felt and fit much better.

That's the issue, they are keeping the toe too close, and there's no way to adjust it. I had them on my Gnetik 1's with no problem. But on these, the boot is so much shorter that it's like the Smart Toes are pulling the boot up on top on my skate. If I pushed down on them to get the boot lower and away from the skate, the pads felt and fit much better.

I've seen others who used a longer bit of cord holding the smart straps on, so theres slack. It never made sense to me since I don't understand why you'd want slack, but its an option if that's what you want.

I've seen others who used a longer bit of cord holding the smart straps on, so theres slack. It never made sense to me since I don't understand why you'd want slack, but its an option if that's what you want.

I thought of that too. Or putting another piece of foam on the toe bridge to essentially make the Y-anchor longer. My concern with just adding a lace is that it isn't taut, so you lose the control that the system is designed to bring. I think I may try to make something to make the Y attachment longer, maybe use the Kipper tab or whatever it was called. That way it will still allow the attachment to have the stability it is supposed to.

Or I could just go back to bungees. My system did the exact same thing as the Smart Toe, was even easier to put on, and cost $5.