Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blackout

Thigh Rise Overlap (New Goalie)

While I've seen some info on this topic, I've got an unanswered question.

First off, I just bought gear today. I've played in net a whole two times in the past two days (I've played wing for the last 6 months when I started hockey). So my experience is pretty much non-existent.

I'm 5'8", and the rep at the LHS said that 34+1 pads were good, and looked to be correct for me when trying them on. The pads are CCM 550. My knees seem to sit fine in the pads.

My issue is that I have an annoying amount (1 to 2 inches maybe) of overlap at the corners of each thigh rise, so when walking around, the thigh rises hit each other all the time. First off, is that normal and something to just get used to?

I also cant seem to stand too comfortably straight when just milling around, as I've seen other goaltenders do. Again, this is due to the thigh rises hitting each other.

This of course affects me on ice as well, but given the fact that I'm SO new at this, I can't really make any judgment from my on ice play (or lack there of).

Other than that, I love goaltending already. Sure, I've been lit up and have seen many softies already, but dang is it fun.

Thanks!

I have really stiff and pretty straight pads where the thighs cross over like you are talking about. I find in my stance they don't overlap but when I am walking or just standing there they do.

I know many goalies who have their pads overlap all the time and said they just got used to one always being on the inside of the other.

But I guess the real question is whether you can move around comfortably on the ice or if it is really impeding you.

Yes and no. The Bauer Reactor 2000 pads I bought to learn in fit perfecto; yet the Vorteks I have feel so incredibly awkward with overlap as you describe.

My first question is how loose do you wear your pads? Looser fits lower from what the goalies who work in my local rinks say. Have you skated in your pads in a public skate? That's where I practise EVERYTHING I do, but your local rink may not permit that.

I find my experience like you-getting lit up but loving it. A sense of humour is what is needed for any of us starting this position.

Keep at it!!!