Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tamtamg

Sparx Skate Sharpener - At home sharpener

4 hours ago, OzziesDad said:

We have a rink here in MA that has 8 full sized ice surfaces, and 2 mini rinks, that have had 4 Sparx machines running essentially non stop for 2 years with little to no problems.

I'd LOVE to know what those places are doing with their machines. 

I hear the same story from other places as well but all of these stores were VERY negative on Sparx machines saying there were unreliable and broke often. 

20 hours ago, OzziesDad said:

We have a rink here in MA that has 8 full sized ice surfaces, and 2 mini rinks, that have had 4 Sparx machines running essentially non stop for 2 years with little to no problems.

I'd LOVE to know what those places are doing with their machines. 

They sell Sparx machines. So if I  buy one there can I use it in my  dressing room?

Edited by oldtrainerguy28

24 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

They sell Sparx machines. So if I  buy one there can I use it in my  dressing room?

They probably aren’t concerned with the $30-50 loss in revenue after selling you a $1000 machine... But I’ll ask next time I am there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

They probably aren’t concerned with the $30-50 loss in revenue after selling you a $1000 machine... But I’ll ask next time I am there.

Not what I have heard... never was impressed with that shops work always went up the road. 

20 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Not what I have heard... never was impressed with that shops work always went up the road. 

Could be why they went with multiple automated machines...

FWIW, up the street isn’t much better. I’d say, below average at best. These are my local options. Hence why I now have my own machine.

I was there (up the street) yesterday. Store was pretty busy, yet only a single pair of skates in the sharpening window. Safe to say I’m not the only one displeased with the services at that location.

Edited by stick9
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

I've never once heard of an issue with anyone bringing a Sparx or Prosharp on site. I've definitely witnessed it multiple times as well, as I've officiated nunerous tourneys of all age levels at the facility. 

That being said, count me in as someone who purchased a Sparx solely because you seemingly never know what you are going to get from a manual sharpening at any rink, Pure, or the Hockey Monkey, from about exits 13 to 30 off rt. 495. Kind of sad that is the current state of the area nowadays. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OzziesDad said:

That being said, count me in as someone who purchased a Sparx solely because you seemingly never know what you are going to get from a manual sharpening at any rink, Pure, or the Hockey Monkey, from about exits 13 to 30 off rt. 495. Kind of sad that is the current state of the area nowadays. 

And it’s not like the area is a hockey black hole. From my house in central MA there are 7 rinks within a 30 minute radius, 3 of those are multi sheet facilities. 

19 minutes ago, stick9 said:

And it’s not like the area is a hockey black hole. From my house in central MA there are 7 rinks within a 30 minute radius, 3 of those are multi sheet facilities. 

I would venture to guess we are probably neighbors then. 

As you stated, its crazy with how much hockey there is in this area, and even going only 15-25 minutes further into the city and/or south shore, which only multiplies the number of rinks, that there isn't really anyone that stands out that I would truly want to do my skates nowadays. Enter Sparx. 

Well, yet to skate on them, but ran my skates through 4 passes and edges were perfect.  Prechecked my daughter skates before putting them in and off 2 lines(whatever that means, other than off a chunk, sharpened at local shop Thursday).  Took 8 passes and perfect.  As far as I’m concerned, money well spent already.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2018 at 8:07 AM, stick9 said:

My wife and I drive from Boston 45 minutes up to No Icing once a month,  because they are the only place that does a reliable FBV.  That plus a fancy espresso from Benson’s, it’s not a bad trip. 

• Like 2

Howdy,

3 hours ago, six501 said:

Anyone use the 5/8 fire ring and can provide a review of some sort? 

I use it.  I've also used 9/16 ROH, 1/2" Fire, and 5/8" ROH.  I've mostly been working up that list, towards shallower hollows.

I would say that in general the idea that the 5/8" Fire has a bit more glide as compared to the regular 5/8" is probably true, but its not a crazy big difference.  I've done some profile changes over the same time period and its not like I was doing them back to back so I wouldn't feel right making definitive statements. 

When I went from 5/8 ROH to 5/8" fire it was on the same profile.  My overall impression is that its a relatively minor change as compared to a 5/8" ROH, but did indeed free up the skate a bit more.

YMMV.  This stuff seems so 'personal preference' to me.

Mark

9 hours ago, six501 said:

I've played on it a bit, maybe 3 months or so. It plays like 3/4 ROH, which I actually prefer to the Fire. 

If you are currently playing on a 5/8 ROH and want to try a Fire, go with a 1/2 to start. 

9 hours ago, six501 said:

I've been using it for the last year. I was using 3/4 FBV. After a short (1 skate) adjustment period I like it more than FBV. 

18 hours ago, Swlabr11 said:

I've been using it for the last year. I was using 3/4 FBV. After a short (1 skate) adjustment period I like it more than FBV. 

What is "3/4 FBV?"

10 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

What is "3/4 FBV?"

Sorry. To be clear I got my skates sharpened through No Icing. They have their FBV 90/50 listed as “FBV 3/4 (90/50 3/4-7/8 bite)” on their order page. 

This.....THIS is why Sparx discontinuing their consumer cross-grinding ring is such complete and utter horseshit.  

Apologies for the crappy phone pic, but this is my kid's friend's Step Blacksteel blade.  This gouge in the blade, which would take maybe 4-5 passes to get rid of with a cross grind would take probably 20-25 passes to grind completely out with a 'regular' grinding ring. 

sjzNjuH.jpg?1

At $60/pop (plus shipping) for a grinding ring, it would honestly cost me less to take the skate up to my local big box retailer and have them grind it out than it would to grind it myself....which COMPLETELY defeats the purpose of having a skate sharpener at home....

Seriously, Sparx guys, I KNOW you monitor this forum. It is patently ridiculous that this is happening.  Bring back the damned cross-grinding ring.

Howdy,

If that were my blade, I'm pretty sure that little nick would stay right there and I'd never notice it wasn't completely gone after a normal sharpening.

Mark

Just now, marka said:

Howdy,

If that were my blade, I'm pretty sure that little nick would stay right there and I'd never notice it wasn't completely gone after a normal sharpening.

Mark

I don't disagree.  But, that's kinda my point.  It'd take a bunch of passes to get rid of this little nick/gouge...and this is one that really doesn't matter that much.  

If you have a bunch of nicks like that...or a bigger nick...then, what do you do?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Santos L Halper said:

This.....THIS is why Sparx discontinuing their consumer cross-grinding ring is such complete and utter horseshit.  

Apologies for the crappy phone pic, but this is my kid's friend's Step Blacksteel blade.  This gouge in the blade, which would take maybe 4-5 passes to get rid of with a cross grind would take probably 20-25 passes to grind completely out with a 'regular' grinding ring. 

sjzNjuH.jpg?1

At $60/pop (plus shipping) for a grinding ring, it would honestly cost me less to take the skate up to my local big box retailer and have them grind it out than it would to grind it myself....which COMPLETELY defeats the purpose of having a skate sharpener at home....

Seriously, Sparx guys, I KNOW you monitor this forum. It is patently ridiculous that this is happening.  Bring back the damned cross-grinding ring.

I use a very shallow hollow wheel for nicks like that on my runners. That being said, I, TOO want to see the return of the cross-grind ring!

• Like 1

When you guys can come up with a way for the home unit to be able to safely accommodate cross-grinding, I'm sure Sparx will be happy to implement it. They didn't just discontinue it for the hell of it. 

37 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

When you guys can come up with a way for the home unit to be able to safely accommodate cross-grinding, I'm sure Sparx will be happy to implement it. They didn't just discontinue it for the hell of it. 

Perhaps you can summarize for us.

The only thing that I recall seeing is some vague notion that it clogged up the air filter 'too quickly'...whatever that means.