Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neo5370

How Moldable is Curv vs. Tech Mesh vs. Mako's?

The reason I ask is because I'm in 1st gen mako skates right now, but need a tighter heel. However, I do like the molding capabilities for the rest of my foot. I guess my question is, which Bauer material, and I guess line, would be the most moldable and have the tightest heel. I've tried these on in the shop, but IMO, skates do not feel the same in-store, even baked compared to when broken in.

I also require a tight heel, and I can say Easton skates up until the Mako's release are the tightest heel cup you can find. I haven't tried any of the new CCM skates (tacks) or Grafs since they went fully heat moldable, but the bauer skates were garbage for my feet. Every line.

Have you tried heating the skates and compressing the heel with your hands or something like the CCM Fit machine?

I haven't tried it on my MLX, where I have the same heel slip as you Neo, but SVH shows using a ratchet clamp on the heel for baking VH skates. I'm thinking that may have been done by whoever baked them before me, because in the two skates I had in them before I had a chance to bake them on my own, they didn't slip in the heel.

You can always spot heat that area on your feet for better heel lock.

I heated my mako 2's up just like it shows in this video, and now have total heel lock, My heels were lifting off the foot bed really badly prior to doing that. Just heat the back portion of the skate right above the silver carbon fiber, and then squeeze with your thumb, and forefinger. That really helped mine.

When you heat mold to get ankle lock, I guess you pinch heel area real tight then put your foot in. It will then stretch out how far you need?

Couple questions for you guys >>

Is the major reason guys stay in Vapor Cut Tech mesh skate because of the stiffness/"agility" or is it because they prefer the fit. I understand there are probably situations where both apply. But does a Curve composite skate play that much stiffer than the Tech mesh? For example, would a 2 stiffness in Curve feel like a three stiffness in Tech mesh? Sorry if that confuses.

Also, for guys/pros who seem to switch from tech to 1x to MX3, etc... would their custom order forms stay the same size or would they need to adjust each time to fit that skate? Does Bauer just say at their custom factory that a person with a 8D/A measurement in 1x would be the same 8D/A in MX3?

Sorry in advance for long winded post. Thanks for the help