Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

burr14

Composite end plugs. Less dampening vs. Wood? (Tacks stick)

Hey so I just got a tacks stick that I bought a little used off a friend. Since it was cut about 1.5-2 inches, I had to throw a plug in there to raise it up a bit. I never use an end plug nor cut my sticks as retail is perfect for me. Anyways I had heard great things about the tacks stick so I was excited to use it, but the first few times using it it seemed like the puck just kinda rolled off my stick when I was stick handling (I'm not a new player by any means). It almost seems less responsive while stick handling if that makes sense. I have an apx that I was using/still use and that seems much better for stick handling.

The stick was great for shooting, it just seemed like I had to put more effort and was much slower while stick handling.

Anyways I know that the tacks blade is supposed to play a bit softer but it seems like I really don't have much response at all, could this be because of the wood plug? Would a composite plug make it better? Or is it just in my head and I need to get used to the stick vs. My apx. Btw the specs are same as apx

Yeah it could be just that I'm not used to it. The puck seems to bounce off the apx well, not to mention the balance feels perfect, so stick handling just seemed a lot better, although I only used the tacks a couple times. But yeah I was just wondering if the composite plug would dampen it less than a wood plug. I'd obviously prefer not to spend an extra $15 or whatever it is on one, but if it makes it a lot better I'd try

The difference with a wood plug should be negligible. It the stiffness of the stick the same? I know when I switch stiffness sometimes it takes me a little bit for the stick handling to readjust.

I had the same issues when I played the tacks 5052 ...however , with the "just" Tacks its way better.

This is a "tacks" stick, aka highest model

The difference with a wood plug should be negligible. It the stiffness of the stick the same? I know when I switch stiffness sometimes it takes me a little bit for the stick handling to readjust.

The stiffness I use for bauer apx is pro stock 82. This one is 85 so pretty much the same. Also have an 85 QR1 that feels pretty good, similar to the bauer in stick handling/blade response. This blade just kinda feels dull to me. I guess I prefer more of a pingy feel where the puck bounces off blade more. This tacks is probably better for accepting passes and shoots great, just stick handling seems off. But hey I guess it's possible that i just have to adjust to it.

I'll reiterate my first question again though. If anyone has experience with composite plugs, would they dampen the feel less than a wood plug does?

I don't think it's anything close to your 82. It's a mid kick vs a low which impacts puck feel, and CCM/Reebok has always played stiffer than other brands for me.

I don't think it's anything close to your 82. It's a mid kick vs a low which impacts puck feel, and CCM/Reebok has always played stiffer than other brands for me.

Okay I see.. Yeah I don't have experience with CCM. I do have a total one but that still feels a lot better (closer to the apx for puck feel).

I guess I'll just chalk it up as the feel of the tacks stick thats throwing me off (rather than the plug). I guess i'll either sell it or just keep it as backup and get used to it when the time comes. But if anyone has experience with composite and wood plugs and noticed a difference, I'd definitely be interested in reading your input.