Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bugscoe

Blade Profile and Back Pain

I have a couple sets of runners for my Graf's, one is the stock steel and the other a set of the original Step Steel runners. As far as I know, both are profiled to the same specs- 9', forward pitch (sharpening varies as I find the Graf a softer steel) had them done by No Icing Sports...

It seems when skating on the Step Steel I'm experiencing more lower back for some reason following my games. The only difference I'm aware of is the height of the Step blades so I'm a little perplexed as to the cause.

If one was going to try to adjust this via a profiling, what aspect of the profile would most affect back strain/pain?

One other thing- I feel like I have much balance and control of my edges on the Graf steel compared to the Step...can this be attributed to the height difference which may be throwing of the balance point a tad around the ankle area of is this more of a sharpening issue? I do know that one both pairs are sharpened at same FBV they don't feel the same which i'm sure is attributed to the differences between the hardness of the steels.

Thanks!

Your body adapts over time to a lot of things, so other than bad posture, any change from "muscle memory" is going to be mean your muscles take some time to adapt, whilst their adapting, they're in a stressed/tightened state, afterwards leading to an "ache". That ache /usually/ is muscle cells being broken down and repaired (other than when it's joint ache), making you stronger next time.

So, with something as minor as increasing the height of the blade by using Step steels, you know it, you'll be making compensation for it, when you're going over on your edges, you'll be thinking about it, so your body will not be in a regular relaxed state. You'll either be consciously, or subconsciously, making an adaptation. You'll be tense, therefore, you get an ache afterwards.

I would take your step steel to a different sharpener and ask for them to compare pitch and profile to your Grafs. If they're the same, then you can either get used to the Step steel and know it'll take 9-10 games to forget about wearing them, or get them ground down so they're the same height as your old steel.

I had Steps before, and didn't like the height difference.. so I just sold them and went back to my old steel..

Hope that helps!

Makes perfect sense with the height causing the slight change to muscle memory. In comparing the steel, my Graf steel seems to be slightly more rockered but I reckon that's just from all the repeated sharpenings slowly eating away at the original profile.

The other thing I've struggled with in using the Step is they won't stay tight in the holder- screws always come loose during a skate and start clicking as I get off ice. I'm not sure how much free play on the ice is actually happening but I suppose this small change could be another factor in why I just don't feel as stable on them...

Makes perfect sense with the height causing the slight change to muscle memory. In comparing the steel, my Graf steel seems to be slightly more rockered but I reckon that's just from all the repeated sharpenings slowly eating away at the original profile.

The other thing I've struggled with in using the Step is they won't stay tight in the holder- screws always come loose during a skate and start clicking as I get off ice. I'm not sure how much free play on the ice is actually happening but I suppose this small change could be another factor in why I just don't feel as stable on them...

You just answered your own questions. If your old blades were sharpened many times, it's likely the toe/heel radius are different than the new Steps. Don't do anything drastic, but I recommend not staying on one set too long. If you rotate frequently between the two sets, the muscle memory won't 'set" to one over the other. Virtually all of my customers have old sets and new sets, many with STEPS and few have muscle memory problems after they adjusted to the new set. I also have customers who rotate 2 different model skates, like a CCM and a bauer with no difficulties switching between the two. Key is not to stay on one set too long. What that timeframe is depends on the skater.

I just skated tonight with my new Step Blacksteel runners for the first time... I'm not sure why but, I couldn't make tight turns and I was losing my edge like crazy and slipping all over? My skate guy is great and my hollows were the same as I always get? Any idea why Jimmy?

I just skated tonight with my new Step Blacksteel runners for the first time... I'm not sure why but, I couldn't make tight turns and I was losing my edge like crazy and slipping all over? My skate guy is great and my hollows were the same as I always get? Any idea why Jimmy?

Blacksteel requires double the amount of passes on the machine to get edges in, it's extremely hard coating is why.. There's even been times when I did what I though was enough but had to do them again with many more passes. Even though hollow gauge showed hollow established and level edges, they still would slip. I'd say just have them sharpened again, that should do it. Dressing just once is not enough as the stone gets clogged, I dress many times, much more than regular steel.

Thanks, jimmy! I guess I had a hunch but was just looking for some confirmation. I'll try rotating regularly and see if that helps. Do you have any tips on getting Step (I have the fist generation Steps) to stay securely seated in the Cobra 5000 runner? I've tried Locktite, a little tape on the steel top...just don't seem to stay 100% seated/locked in.

rollison97- my experience has been similar between stock steel and Step. I've found I need to go a little deeper on the shallow with the Step's to give me similar edge control of the stock. I assume it's differences between the hardness of each...?

Thanks, jimmy! I guess I had a hunch but was just looking for some confirmation. I'll try rotating regularly and see if that helps. Do you have any tips on getting Step (I have the fist generation Steps) to stay securely seated in the Cobra 5000 runner? I've tried Locktite, a little tape on the steel top...just don't seem to stay 100% seated/locked in.

rollison97- my experience has been similar between stock steel and Step. I've found if I need to go a little deeper on the shallow with the Step's to give me similar edge control of the stock. I assume it's differences between the hardness of each...?

Did you try tape on backside of the hook in front? One small piece of clear tape usually does the trick.