Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dstone

Cold toes

Does anyone else here get really cold toes when playing? It usually happens when I play games but not on practices.
I bought the new Bauer kevlar socks and my feet didn't get cold for a week but then it started again.

Any advice will help thanks.

Playing, I have not had a problem. Reffing yep all the time they would get cold. I started using toe warmers and they worked great. I usually stick them on top of my toes rather then under. I've given them to some of the other guys and their skates were too snug to fit. I'm guessing the skates are room temperature warm in the locker room rather frozen from sitting in the car?

It has nothing to do with that, cold feet in general is caused by poor blood circulation. Since the Kevlar socks are thicker, I suggest simply not to lace your forefoot as tightly as before.

It has nothing to do with that, cold feet in general is caused by poor blood circulation. Since the Kevlar socks are thicker, I suggest simply not to lace your forefoot as tightly as before.

This.

Loosen up the skate a bit in the forefoot or above the arch. You might also have a compression style sock that is a bit tight on your foot, or pressure from your skate that's causing your toes to get cold.

I have the same issue. Playing games, skate gets wet, socks get wet, sit on the bench, heart rate drops, circulation drops, toes (in particular the big toe) gets cold. In practice you are, or should be, moving most of the time so heart rate and circulation are elevated. If reffing, you aren't skating as hard and are often standing still and you don't get off the ice and your heart rate isn't as elevated so toes get cold even though you are moving on the ice.

It's all down to your circulation, if your fingers also get cold or numb in the cold you may want to read up on reynauds disease, you may have a very mild case. I find if I can keep my big toe dry it helps a lot, I've had some success using a gel pad sleeve. Might have to try toe warmers. I'm still looking for a good answer, I've considered buying a wider sized skate and wearing the front half of some 3mm or 5mm surf booties, idea been that some insulation around the toes will aid any latent heat in my feet to warm the moisture in the booties.

I was continually getting this on my left foot for a couple months. Had LHS stretch front of the boot slightly and it went away. This is a chronic issue i've experienced with most skates. Definitely a blood flow issue. You're body is so warm from aerobic exercise that nothing on your body should be cold.

You're body is so warm from aerobic exercise that nothing on your body should be cold.

Not so, it all depends on how well your body circulates blood. I play and train in a summer league and have no issues, come the middle of winter when it gets really cold and the temperature inside the rink doesn't get above 2 degrees then I get cold toes.

@dstone Look into the "Powerfoot Performance Inserts", made by Adrenaline. Not only will you receive the benefits of the product itself and improving your game, should also greatly help with keeping your toes warm.

I agree with the above... Since moving to a wider skate (supremes) my toes aren't going numb anymore. The APX was cramping the forefoot on me..