Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Thinkingjack

STX Surgeon 500 Stick

STX Surgeon 500

Flex: 100

Pattern: X91

Height: 6’3’’

Weight: 255lbs

Position: Center, Right Wing

First Impression

The stick had different tones in color to it when I pulled it out of the box, I was really interested in the black fusepoint to blade area since the entire shaft is all light gray which is decent.

The big lettering for Surgeon was pretty rad with the Medical big cross in the middle of the O, a few Doctors I play with at the rink thought it was really cool of course. The stick of course was decent on weight and the balance with just a hand on the butt end was pretty decent too, the balance made it feel like a part of my hand like I’ve used it before.

8/10

Blade - 7/10

I’m not too tough on blades, I I’m angry at them. Jokes aside I tend to give them your standard wear and tear. I tap the sticks often on the ice calling for a pass or a distraction. Also when I’m trying to review a stick I do the following (I work at a rink so I have plenty times at work to just put some work in really well)

50 Slap shots

50 wrist shots

50 snap shots

After that it just starts escalating to see how the blade wears down. Unfortunately the blade on the surgeon came already pretty soft. Which I loved, I’m normally only into super stiff blades but the soft blade on this stick made passing really pleasant and warm, yes I said warm. Shooting was a challenge, I had to be specific on what part of the blade I wanted to shoot off of and once I found the sweet spot (mid-toe), the shots just took off. However with the blade already being soft, it only got worse and it got a bit harder to keep readjusting after every use. By now its month 4 of using it and its basically done, I cant take a slap shot or it ends up in the corner but snap and wrist shots still sing if I hit the puck in a specific part of the blade.

Shaft/Flex/Balance - 10/10

This is where the Surgeon plays my favorite song and stays home. I had a long phone interview with a gentleman from STX at the time I was putting together a testing team for demos and the young man explained the dual kick point on this shaft and how I would love it. He wasn’t wrong, I fell in love with it the moment I took a snap shot. It just flew like a rocket and then I took a slap shot and I was sold. Everything about this stick just popped out. The best part was the dual kick allowed me to shoot a good hard shot wherever my hands were placed, higher or lower and I got the same result without any sacrifice in quality. I was told this stick would be perfect for quickwrist and snap shots and I was surprised how a slap shot would come off so heavy. If this was offered as a single shaft, I would go back to 2 piece sticks in a heartbeat. That’s how much I liked it! Passing is really nice, receiving a pass with a soft blade offers a nice feel that allows me to cradle the puck and pop it right back to the player without struggling on a hard bounce on a stiff blade. Passing to a player gives me a really nice whip and a hard pass that feels almost like a shot. Just like a pass should be. Hard crisp and to the tape.

Durability - 9/10

The blade breaking down fast but not “breaking” physically is one thing that is very impressive. Sure its gone soft but its still usable and if I give it to a beginner, they’ll probably use it for a few years I’m sure. The shaft has not broken down or lost its kick/pop and is still going strong. Asides from the blade I’ll have to give it a few points off only because of the blade. I think if STX added another layer of composite to the blade to make it a bit stiffer it’ll stay stronger longer and shoot just as good if not better.

Intangibles

The puck feel from this stick is pretty warm, normally I’m used to a hard pop from my sticks like CCM and Sherwood but the softer feeling from this blade is really impressive. The grip on the stick is minimal and offers a decent handle but not over the top like some companies do.

Conclusion

In my hands this feels like a top of the line stick, because it IS a top of the line stick. The price point its sold at is impressive when you see all other top of the line sticks going for 200-300 which has become absurd. It hangs with my Bauer sticks, it hangs with my Sherwoods, and it sure hangs with my Tacks. These are sticks I’m rotating right now so it gives me a good comparison.

STX is on to something and they’re working towards a good goal, I’m curious as to what next years model upgrades will offer from this past year.

Would I recommend this stick? Absolutely.

But I still want you to be aware of everything about it, from the blade being a bit softer for a warmer feel to the solid shooting this shaft performs.

I'll be shooting and posting a video review later on.

Overall score - 8/10

STX Surgeon 500

Flex: 85

Pattern: X88

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 230 lb's

Position: RW or LW

First Impression,

first, I would like to say a very big thank you to STX for letting me have a chance at a late demo, much appreciated. I must say, I was blown away by the balance and the feel off the shelf with this stick. just from holding different makes and models, this was on par with all the top lines I was messing with. I am partial to a white stick, so the colors drew me in pretty quick, I like the graphic's and the design. With the bottom part of the stick black I feel it adds a nice contrast to the eye.

9/10

Blade,

This is where I have heard some negative comments about how soft the blade is, and will get over time. I have only had three ice sessions, with one being a game, and yes, the blade does play softer then most other sticks I have used. This is not a bad thing. Firstly, the puck feel is top level. No need to look down to see where the puck is on my blade, I knew just from feel. Secondly, shooting. I don't know if its just my style, or something else, but I have not had any issues hitting spots I aim for. my only concern is that I hope it lasts over time. I'm not one to be hard on my equipment, so I hope to get a long life out of her.

9/10

Shaft/Flex/Balance

This is where the surgeon really shines. It might be the best flexing, and feeling shaft I have ever used. the walls are concave, but have rounded edges so it fits really nice in your hand. the puck feel from the blade vibes right with the shaft to really give you a nice feeling throughout the entire stick. No vibrations what so ever and certainly no ping feel. the balance point did take some time to get used to, as its higher then most of the sticks I have used. stick handling and receiving pass' s are a dream with the Surgeon. a very nice soft feel that stiffens up when you load for shooting.

10/10

Durability

I wish to not speak on this as I have only used it in three on ice sessions. I am hoping for a 10/10 but I can update this later down the line

N/A

Conclusion

All in all I love it so far, I would love to have waited for a longer review to include durability, but I have been so excited to use this, and giving the chance by STX, I felt I needed to get my thoughts on it as of now.