Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

Boston Bruins 2015-2016

That is possible, and I think if his agent is throwing around a 5 year/$30 million contract then he will be dealt. But there is the outside shot that he decides he likes the area enough to stay in that house he bought last year.

2 hours ago, chippa13 said:

That is possible, and I think if his agent is throwing around a 5 year/$30 million contract then he will be dealt. But there is the outside shot that he decides he likes the area enough to stay in that house he bought last year.

I think the Bruins need to focus on the future and fix the defense. Since they lost to the Blackhawks in the finals, They have let go of two, top four defensemen and haven't replaced them. Plus Chara and Seidenberg  aren't what they used to be.

Per Dreger, the Bruins and Eriksson are far apart on term and money. Sounds like Loui could be somewhere else come Monday evening. The team isn't close enough this year to hold him thru the Spring for a run and then deal his rights prior to July 1.

If they could put together a package and get Dumba that would be great. He doesn't fix everything but it's a step in the right direction.

One writer suggested Ladd's trade (with defenseman Jay Harrison and Matt Fraser) to the Blackhawks for a first, conditional second and winger Marko Dano essentially sets a higher bar for Erikkson. I hope he's right, because I don't see enough on the farm that would put this team into true contention the next two seasons, so I'd rather augment the younger talent by trading Loui.

I'm not keen on this idea of Eriksson being a keeper rental. If they can't get him signed then they have to get something. As I've said before, they aren't close enough to be taking a shot at a long playoff run this year.

For 2016 they have a 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th. The part of these deals that has me scratching my head is that Stempniak was a camp invite that they let walk and both he and Liles are on expiring contracts. I don't understand the idea of the Bruins renting players. It isn't like these additions will put them into the conference finals.

It will be interesting to hear what the pundits have to say about these pickups but I don't think it was the right path.

They traded four of the seven picks teams are given each year for two journeymen. Someone suggested this was a play to pick up two (or more, if they're lucky) home games, but it weakens the team for the next few years versus trading Eriksson for a player and a pick.

Awful job by Sweeney. There is no way they are going to sign in the summer. He can get more from another team in the summer.

Chippa is right. They just traded two draft picks for a guy they could've had for nothing before the season started. 

They will most likely get their doors blown off in the playoffs.

I'm not so sure it weakens them for the next few years. They did have 3 first and 3 second round picks in the 2015 draft and they do still have a 1st and 3rd in the 2016 draft, which most of the experts will tell you is nowhere near as deep as the 2015 draft. Overall, between the two drafts the Bruins will have selected 15 players and there will only be so many roster spots in Providence 2-3-4 years from now to house all those bodies.

I expect that Eriksson's rights will be dealt before 7/1 for something, granted it will be much less than what they could have received for him today.

2 hours ago, Jason Harris said:

They traded four of the seven picks teams are given each year for two journeymen. Someone suggested this was a play to pick up two (or more, if they're lucky) home games, but it weakens the team for the next few years versus trading Eriksson for a player and a pick.

The analysis I heard was that they were unwilling to go "backwards" when they were already in a playoff position. Had they been on the outside looking in today, picks would have been coming in and players going out.

chippa, I don't see how it doesn't weaken them going forward if we assume that none of these the players resigns with Boston and they could have pulled off a Winnipeg type trade. I agree that not all players would make the roster, but I read an analysis of NFL picks showing that quantity is a better determinant of the success of a draft than quality of picks. I assume it would be comparable in other sports, because players don't perform to their pedigree. Bergeron and Lucic were second rounders, whereas Joe Colborne and Zach Hamill did nothing as first rounders.

So if they made a similar trade as Winnipeg, they would have three first rounders (one likely toward the end), a second, two thirds, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh, plus a young player.  Instead, they'll have two firsts, a third, fifth, sixth and seventh, but no young player or second rounder next year. I admit all those numbers are approximate, because I don't want to do the math, but a momentary step back over the next six weeks could have set up the team way better for the future than maybe a second round exit.

Owners, Presidents, GM's, Coaches, players and fans have to be honest with themselves. This team wasn't and still isn't a contender for the Cup. It was like they felt they were playing with house money because they had extra picks, but they bet at the five dollar table, meaning they didn't risk enough to win big. Instead, they should have rolled the dice with the player in return and/or Vatrano this season to see if they still had enough to make the playoffs, then pulled the lever and hope that a couple of the picks over these two years pop. 

This seems like Jacobs said, "You WILL make the playoffs."

I'd be concerned if they didn't pick 6 of the first 60 players selected in what some called one of the deepest drafts of the last 10 years.  The Bruins called 10 names last summer and they'll call probably another 6/7 this summer. That will be potentially pumping 17 new bodies into their system in the next 3 years. You can only develop and bring along so many players at any one time. And they will also have freed up money from Chara, Seidenberg, and McQuaid when that time comes to bring in some veteran help.

As for Vatrano, I like him but you could see where he started to have his struggles with the big club while he was up. I'd rather see him continue to learn the pro game in Providence where he can get quality minutes than have him spotted in here and there.

I wasn't a fan of making rental trades, either, but I do see how a guy like Liles could provide some tutelage to Colin Miller and also how Stempniak can slot into the wing with Bergeron and Marchand to finally give Connolly that kick in the pants to start producing. They aren't going anywhere this spring, we all know that, and renting players is a bit of a head scratcher if your best possible outcome is maybe to see the second round.

From what I've seen, the Bruins asking price was pretty steep for Eriksson on deadline day. The only way they were going to get a Ladd type of deal would be to find a team at Chicago's level who has a strong chance at the Cup finals. Apparently, they couldn't find another team out there who was that confident Eriksson would be their final piece to getting the Cup.

This thread has gone bizarro world. You're supposed to be the glass half full guy and I'm supposed to be the anchor.

Apparently, my source for the 2016 draft was faulty. They have 2 firsts and a second this June. I think 5 firsts and 4 seconds in a two year span gives you some room for error.

1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

This thread has gone bizarro world. You're supposed to be the glass half full guy and I'm supposed to be the anchor.

That's funny you say that, because I was telling my wife the same thing: "Usually, I'm more optimistic, while he's more the realist....."

Now that the dust is settled.....I am still disappointed. Moving Eriksson would have been the smart move. I get why they didn't and I get why they added rentals like Liles and Stemp. Missing the playoffs two years in a row would be unacceptable, so Sweeney was forced to buy.

Shame to see C. Miller in PRO and Morrow on the 9th floor. They should be developing these guys. After all, they were key pieces in two fairly big deals. What shocks me the most is them NOT moving Kokolchev (spelling) in a smaller deal.

Just did a search and apparently Khokhlachev has some kind of hand injury right now so he wouldn't have been very interesting to teams at the deadline. They probably figured why trade some kind of asset for a hurt guy now when I can get him for free this summer? Teams also might be a little shy after his training camp rant about how he feels he deserves more of a shot in the bigs and are afraid that if he feels a little more snub then he'll take his stick and go home to the KHL.

In my opinion, even given his dominance at the AHL level, he hasn't looked like much in any of his sparse outings in Boston. Maybe he is just one of those guys who just can't cut it at the NHL level.

I have to admit the new additions have made the roster deeper. Dropping Loui to the third line and Connolly to the fourth seems to have increased the talent of each line, although I'd prefer to see Vatrano rather than Acciari. Twenty-five goals in twenty-five games already shows you're above that level.

I'd rather see Vatrano slotted into a top 9 role if he is going to come up. The 4th line isn't a place where a kid that slight is going to be effective. Plus, he tailed off in his last callup so I don't mind letting him dominate at the AHL level this season and come to camp in September brimming with confidence.

On 3/3/2016 at 0:28 PM, chippa13 said:

Just did a search and apparently Khokhlachev has some kind of hand injury right now so he wouldn't have been very interesting to teams at the deadline. They probably figured why trade some kind of asset for a hurt guy now when I can get him for free this summer? Teams also might be a little shy after his training camp rant about how he feels he deserves more of a shot in the bigs and are afraid that if he feels a little more snub then he'll take his stick and go home to the KHL.

In my opinion, even given his dominance at the AHL level, he hasn't looked like much in any of his sparse outings in Boston. Maybe he is just one of those guys who just can't cut it at the NHL level.

Probably hurt his value somewhat. I fully expect to see him dealt at the draft. Some insiders I talk to/read say he'll be an NHLer just not in Boston, that ship's sailed.

Much like Spooner, I think he just needs some time and a little patience. Young players make mistakes. 

Early in the new year, I told my lovely bride, "If Pastrnak can have a second half like he did last year while skating with Spooner, this team could be totally different."

He still has defensive lapses, but he and the trades are helping to change the flavor of the team.