Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

killcitystatic

Sharpening in NYC

Among the places in NYC to have your skates sharpened--Westside, Skater's Edge at Chelsea Piers, Paragon, skate shop at City Ice, and any others I may not be aware of, how do they rank against one another?

I've heard that Westside is the best, but it can be out of the way sometimes.

I play at Chelsea Piers and City Ice, so it would be much easier for me to have my skates sharpened before or after a game at one of those places.

PS--I took my skates to Westside once after having them sharpened at Paragon, and they told me the skate was sharpened "2 degrees off." Is this something I should be worried about that may affect my skating?

I used Westside exclusively; Chelsea Piers was even more out of the way, and I didn't trust Paragon or City Ice. I want to say Westside got $20 a sharpening? That plus the time to travel to and from, and the inevitable wait when they have two pairs to sharpen ahead of you. I no longer live in NYC, but IMO it's a no-brainer to buy a second set of steel and ship to No Icing in NH.

West Side does quality work, and if quality is more important than convenience, then you're better off dealing with the added price and wait times. From my experiences, quick and convenient options are dime a dozen, but places that really don't compromise on their work are hard to find and worth traveling to.

Can't comment on the sharpener at the CP shop. I used to use Westside before my team decided to buy a Blackstone portable as we could not afford NYC prices. It was a bit extreme having it in my East Village apt, but it saved us easily 10k a year.

I would avoid LIC as the proshop is just a joke. Pretty sure they are charging 5 bucks for a roll of tape still.

I've used the pro shop at Chelsea Piers, and Westside. Both do a great job, although they are expensive as far as sharpenings go ($13, $15 respectively). At Chelsea Piers, ask for Zach. He's a good dude, and knows his stuff. He usually works the late night shift.