Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

islander

Foot protection

A number of years ago I had terrible injury on the rink from blocking a shot. I took a puck off the side of the foot and it shattered my foot. 9 breaks. Couldn't walk for 6 months. I had difficulties in the healing process and it never fully healed within those 6 months....the doctor simply said that the only thing we hadn't tried was just taking the cast off and making me walk on it normally to promote blood flow.

I am finally going to get back out there and as the beginning of the season creeps closer, I am getting more anxiety over re-injuring my foot.

I have seen the skatefender and the shotblocker foot protectors. Are there any other products out there like these?

Thanks guys.

The skate fenders are the best one's on the market. Lightweight, good coverage, great protection. They are the one's used in the NHL. I have a pair I wear when I play D and several other guys on my team do as well. Highly recommended if you want them.

Thanks guys.

Are there any other options out there? Anything that can be worn on the interior of the skate that isn't uncomfortable?

What's your reason for waning something on the interior of the skate? You'd have to size up a decent amount in order to put additional soft padding inside your skate, or it would have to be incredibly uncomfortable to add something hard and rigid enough to disperse the energy of a shot.

Thanks guys.

Are there any other options out there? Anything that can be worn on the interior of the skate that isn't uncomfortable?

What's your reason for waning something on the interior of the skate? You'd have to size up a decent amount in order to put additional soft padding inside your skate, or it would have to be incredibly uncomfortable to add something hard and rigid enough to disperse the energy of a shot.

I assume he meant the instep of the boot and not the interior.

The skate fenders do a good job on the instep and inside of foot. Agree with other posters on the thought that there is no way you want something on the actual inside of the skate in between the foot an the boot. Reasons are fairly obvious I think.

A gal on my tournament team a couple of weeks ago took a hard shot on the insole and had a nice purple contusion that hampered her skating afterwards. Helluva thump. I could see the shot blockers being effective.

A gal on my tournament team a couple of weeks ago took a hard shot on the insole and had a nice purple contusion that hampered her skating afterwards. Helluva thump. I could see the shot blockers being effective.

I have the plastic ones. Super helpful and protective and it covers the laces where I regularly got it. Plus they are WAY cheaper than the carbon ones. I'd recommend them if you are looking for more protection.

Has anyone seen the NHL version of the Skate Fenders (clear plastic instead of the bluish and no bubble bumps)? How do they compare to the retail "pro" version. I have the retail version now, and they're just too bulky, they come out too far from the skate and I have had some problems with bottoming out. I'd love a pair of the Shot Blockers, but $199 CAD is a non-starter. Even thay have now gone to a clear material instead of the original carbon fiber. So are the NHL Skate Fenders about the same thing?

Johnny+Gaudreau+Calgary+Flames+v+Anaheim

NHL Skate Fenders seem to have riveted the strap anchors as opposed to the older design. Are these to come to retail, or NHL exclusive?

Johnny+Gaudreau+Calgary+Flames+v+Anaheim

NHL Skate Fenders seem to have riveted the strap anchors as opposed to the older design. Are these to come to retail, or NHL exclusive?

Holy crap. Is that an ad for Skate Fenders? Lol The pro ones do have riveted snaps on the straps. But they're also flat, unlike the retail version that has all the bumps.

I have the skate fenders and I fricken love them. I was worried they would hinder my skating, but I don't notice them AT ALL when skating. I actually forget that I have them on. And I feel SO much more confident in blocking shots and passes with my skates. You don't even feel it. I highly recommend the skate fenders. 100% worth the money.

I have some and have blocked many shots and laughed each time. Before them I would cringe and hope the block wouldn't hurt. Only problem I've had so far is the velcro got sliced off by someone's skate and I need to get it repaired. Not a huge deal, I'm just too lazy to get it done. I wonder how the riveted design would hold up over time.

VH can build the shot blockers into the boot. I wear Skate Fenders. I am not crazy about them, they seem clunky, but I prefer feeling a bit clunky instead of what happened to the thread starters.

VH can build the shot blockers into the boot. I wear Skate Fenders. I am not crazy about them, they seem clunky, but I prefer feeling a bit clunky instead of what happened to the thread starters.

This is why I'm trying to establish if the NHL version, that doesn't appear to be as wide or clunky, is actually as it seems.

A number of years ago I had terrible injury on the rink from blocking a shot. I took a puck off the side of the foot and it shattered my foot. 9 breaks. Couldn't walk for 6 months. I had difficulties in the healing process and it never fully healed within those 6 months....the doctor simply said that the only thing we hadn't tried was just taking the cast off and making me walk on it normally to promote blood flow.

I am finally going to get back out there and as the beginning of the season creeps closer, I am getting more anxiety over re-injuring my foot.

I have seen the skatefender and the shotblocker foot protectors. Are there any other products out there like these?

Thanks guys.

What skates were you wearing when this happened.

Skates make a huge difference too, I've been wearing supreme one.matrix (beefed up 180 / stiff tendon guard 190) this year with the curv material. I've taken a handful of shots off the quartets and have barely felt a thing.

This is why I'm trying to establish if the NHL version, that doesn't appear to be as wide or clunky, is actually as it seems.

I remember seeing these at the Abbotsford Heat sale before they moved. It didn't look as refined as Skate Fenders. Looked almost like pieces of plastic melted over the boot and then straps attached with rivets. Having a flat surface will not dissipate the impact as much compared to a ribbed surface.

One sided velcro straps work well with the skate fenders. I bought the shorter bike pump straps at MEC and they can be set up to pull the fender in closer to the skate. I threw away the velcro straps that came with the skate fenders, finding them highly undesireable.