Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fat Buzz

Cleaning Blood on equipment

So, tonight the F'ing puck caught my fingertip where there was no padding... Imagine a hammer on an apple.

Anyway, my glove palm has blood soaked through it, and as they are only two weeks old, I'd like to not throw them out.

Blood isn't something you want to leave around to rot/cause biological fuckedupdedness... Does anyone know what I can use to destroy that shit? The ER doctor didn't feel that my question was important... I think the quack just wants me to get ill so I have to come back.

I had a lot of nosebleeds growing up and my mom would use hydrogen peroxide on bed sheets/shirts/etc. Not sure how it would work on gloves, but it worked on those.

You should be able to get most of it out with a mild soap, cold water, and a sponge. Do not use warm or hot water, because that sets in stains. You can try saddle soap (check in the shoe care section of Walgreens, CVS, etc). Sometimes that can stain light-colored leather dark, if that's a problem for you.

Set-in blood stains can be helped by, surprisingly, salt or meat tenderizer mixed with water and brushed on. Leave it to set for a bit, then you can sponge out the blood. (Salt breaks down the blood proteins, making it easier to clean). As a caveat I haven't tried this on leather or synthetic leather, only fabrics.

Contact lens solution always gets blood out of my referee sweaters and it's more or less inert for fabric/leather/synthetics.

Really?? I would have never guessed... Neat!

I always used peroxide on sweaters with good luck. Contact lens solution often contains either saline solution or peroxide or both so it kind of combines badger and matty's ideas.

Ripped a toenail when running a few years back. I soaked my sock in cold water for a few hours, then washed in the machine. Everything came out. May want to try tub of cold water, soak, then wring out the gloves and air dry.

Contact lens solution always gets blood out of my referee sweaters and it's more or less inert for fabric/leather/synthetics.

Thats a great life hack right there...