Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

CCM Ultra Tacks glove

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/4hpqucf0iwq5mnw/AAA5rZffJeoByT-xQuH4aiw2a

Thanx again to MSH.com and JR for the leg work to get me these gloves for LTR.

Initial impression-

These gloves look adorably tiny...and sexy sleek. A very attractive package as far as gloves go. Beyond looks, the gloves fit like a tapered glove should fit, tight to the knuckles with decent wrist mobility. Which I assume will only get better the more I break them in. Not to mention they are pretty comfy. Now back to my "tiny" comment, the gloves are 14" but they look like 13". Probably the smallest all around 14" glove available. Especially for those who can't stand equipment that looks bulky even when it's not. My only problem with most gloves is that the 14" cuff length is perfect for me but most glove finger lengths are a 1/4"-1/2" too small for me. No exceptions here with the new Ultra Tacks from CCM. My digits stick out about 3/8's of an inch past the end of the fingers. The last 2 things are the pro palm and the liner. The latter seeming fairly basic but gettin' 'er done. And the palm feeling just about right. Nothing thick in between your stick handle and your hand. Just about right.

Game time-

I have used the gloves 3 times now and feel like they are almost worked in but obviously not quite. Still trying to guage protection as nothing has happened to give me any issues yet. But so far they seem like a legit top end glove with all the trimmin's.

TBC.......

Forgot to mention that the gussets on the Ultra Tacks gloves are of a stretchy kind of material. Still breathable though. They remind me of Sande Hockey Co.'s trigger finger feature.

Also worth noting I have used the gloves a cpl more times and noticed this last time that the cuff of my left/top hand was pinching skin on my wrist /forearm and annoying the Christ outta me. Thinking this is directly because of my switch of elbow pads to my Warrior AX1's. Was wearing my Easton Mako's the first bunch of times with the gloves.

I also have just got these gloves , used once

Initial Impressions are yes they look small , i usually wear vapor gloves and straight out of the packaging they look noticeably smaller. I could feel the stick pretty well through the Palm , so not sure if the palm is thin ? or if its just the new glove effect. If it is thin will it be durable ? will have to wait and see. My stick felt good in my hands with these gloves

The internal backhand padding that can be pushed in and out of the glove is noticabley thinner than other gloves i've had , but this may be because the glove is smaller overall. CCM does make very slimline gear, i have RBZ 150 elbows and RBZ 130 Shoulder pads , and they are also very low profile and mobile, just like this glove

Cant comment on protection , havent taken anything on the hands in the the 1 game i've played with them , they do not go as high up my wrist as vapors do though , so not quite as much wrist coverage as some other gloves. But if you like slimline gear that isn't bulky , these should be right up your alley

Overall they seem pretty solid and very comfortable, Happy with my purchase

Quick update .......

Only played about 10-15 times or so this summer but am starting to pick up more games as the season gets underway.

No issues yet with protection, but am going to concentrate on how hot or how cool the gloves are making me moving forward.

Will update again soon......

So.... have used the gloves for about 10 more games and only one thing has happened. A deflected slapshot from around ten feet to my right came at me chest high. I closed up by putting my gloves in front of my chest as to not get smashed since I haven't worn shouldies in almost 20 yrs, and the puck caught me right on my left index finger and crushed it between my stick and the glove. Turned out to be a pinched bruise for about 2 weeks. I consider this to be a freak occurance so no slight to the glove on protection.

TBC........

15 or so more games under my belt and these gloves still feel top notch. Now, and honestly for quite awhile, they have been fully worked in. Could probably play piano in them. Pffft. Who am I kidding, not nearly enough talent in these hands for that. ;) Have only taken one hard stick lift on the hands that annoyed me so far. Other than that i have only one thing about the glove I would like to see changed. The wrist protection beyond the cuff needs to be flared or ar least angled out as to fit all types of elbow pads. Maybe bring back the K series glove within a glove wrist guard. Just sayin'. Had to switch to wearing my Mako elbows when I started wearing these babies because my AX1's were in the way. All in all great tapered gloves from CCM. Will post again and take pitures at the end of the season to show how durability of the gloves held up and to give final thoughts. But will update if anything comes up.......

Well ....... another 40 games or so and the gloves have been phenomenal. Take a look.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/id25o2vntfa92oo/AACD85YZ_y5JH6P2IpjwXOzHa

Final Thoughts

Durability......9.9/10

Still look good, no worse for wear.

No break dow of foams and padding, lining or stitching. 

Other than the top hand wear on the palm, all the wear and tear is in the form of a few stragglers of string hanging off the gloves. Other wise, structurally in mint shape still. 

Protection......10/10

As with any top end glove, the Ultra Tacks thwarts slashes, defends the wrists, and protects the hands from unwanted attention. But does so in a deceiving fashion as you would not expect it from such a small looking glove. I would say I took ten good slashes across the hands and barely felt any of them.

Mobility  10/10

Full range of motion almost from the second I put them on.  Although I do wish the cuff was flared, it was not a problem for any movements. 

Variables....

Although this is a tapered fitting glove, it felt almost like an anatomical fit while keeping all the aspects of the tapered fit. The only other tapered fit that I did like was the Bauer APX retail glove. The Ultra Tacks surpassed them and set a new standard for tapered gloves. For me at least.

Lastly I would like to say that the lining, although 1 year old and thoroughly used, was a huge plus for this glove.  I dry my gear like clockwork after every ice time. That being said, the Ultra Tacks still dont smell as one might think. Not to mention that they stayed relatively dry for most of any ice time I had and never made me feel like they were getting heavier through out. All while keeping me cool.

Conclusion...... 9.5/10

I would highly recommend these gloves to near anyone wether they were a tapered fit glove person or not.

They only lose the perfect score  for the problem I had with my elbow pads. (Warrior AX1's) By way of pinching my arm between the glove and elbow pad. Making me switch to a shorter set of elbows(Easton Mako's). Beyond that, an elite glove all in all. CCM is done proud.

Would like to thank JR again for letting me in on LTR's as I am most fortunate to get these opportunities. And CCM for allowing the Mod Squad family access to new gear for honest feedback.

Cheers