Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
BRUINS_FAN_74

Bauer Speed Plate

59 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Do I just go to my LHS to reheat the plate or can I do it at home?

Just do it in your oven. Preheat to 180 degrees, turn oven off, bake until  insole mark disappears and they are very soft., usually 3 minutes or so.

I'm baked mine originally following Bauers instructions and no matter how man times I tried to rebake them I could never get a decent fit.

One day I decided to heat them up with a hair dryer and then stand on them just on my lounge room floor while pushing them with my fingers all over to get a proper fit.

worked amazingly and now I've got a perfect fit.

I hope that can help anybody out.

1 hour ago, Wicked3Aussie said:

I'm baked mine originally following Bauers instructions and no matter how man times I tried to rebake them I could never get a decent fit.

One day I decided to heat them up with a hair dryer and then stand on them just on my lounge room floor while pushing them with my fingers all over to get a proper fit.

worked amazingly and now I've got a perfect fit.

I hope that can help anybody out.

problem with that is now they're molded to your feet, but not to the inside of the footbed so there's gaps between the insole and footbed

• Like 1

What i did to get a good fit was heat them up (one at a time), put one footbed in skate immediately after pulling out of oven and immediately stand on it before tying, then tie up as quickly as I could, then repeat for 2nd.  This was the only way I felt like I got a good mold in the arch area, if i tied up before standing on it I feel like it cooled off too much to mold the arch properly by the time the skate was tied.

• Like 1

Just checking before I buy

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't use speedplates in my new 50k skates?

My LSH was more than happy to order me a set but I figured I'd check with the brain trust. 

On 6/9/2017 at 4:03 PM, matix218 said:

Just had mine crack actually :/

Replacements are on the way from hockey monkey but given I have only had them for two months or so I have a feeling this issue will arise again with my new pair...

How long did you have them? How many times on the ice?

I just re-baked mine. I'm huge fan of SF but my speed plates came with my 1X's. I like them. We will see how long they last.

11 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

How long did you have them? How many times on the ice?

I just re-baked mine. I'm huge fan of SF but my speed plates came with my 1X's. I like them. We will see how long they last.

I like your username btw, I am originally from Bucks County PA

As to your question, I had them for just over 60 days and I skate 1-2 times a week on average.  The crack was small (maybe like half an inch long?) and to be honest has not in any way hurt the performance/comfort of the footbeds.  I actually threw some cloth tape over the crack and am still using the old footbeds (Monkey said I could keep them) so now I basically have a brand new pair in reserve if the crack gets worse but I have skated on them cracked 3-4 times and it has not seemed to spread as far as I can tell. 

Edited by matix218
Typo
  • Like 1

As far as I know speed plates can be used in any skate since they are fully thermoformable.  I am using them in old 2009 Bauer x:60s and they work great (yes I know this is still a Bauer brand skate but it was certainly not designed specifically with the speed plate in mind like the 1x).

On 25/06/2017 at 11:37 PM, asgoodasdead said:

problem with that is now they're molded to your feet, but not to the inside of the footbed so there's gaps between the insole and footbed

Theres no problem with that, the problem comes with baking them traditionally.

The way I did it was the only time these speed plates have ever been comfortable and of any benefit to me.

Give it a try and see for yourself, what have you got to lose? 

Edited by Wicked3Aussie
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 8:03 AM, matix218 said:

I like your username btw, I am originally from Bucks County PA

As to your question, I had them for just over 60 days and I skate 1-2 times a week on average.  The crack was small (maybe like half an inch long?) and to be honest has not in any way hurt the performance/comfort of the footbeds.  I actually threw some cloth tape over the crack and am still using the old footbeds (Monkey said I could keep them) so now I basically have a brand new pair in reserve if the crack gets worse but I have skated on them cracked 3-4 times and it has not seemed to spread as far as I can tell. 

Yea, the username is meant to be of the 'tongue and cheek' mantra given that the Flyers haven't won't since 1975 haha. Sad reality. I was born in Philly and live in the corner of Montgomery Co. that is boarded by Berks and Bucks counties.

That is good to hear about the footbeds. I re-heated mine for the first time last night in my toaster oven at 150 F. After about 2 mins, they were ready to go back in my boots. Simple process. I just have to remember to do it before the mold is completely gone. I had pickup hockey this past Saturday morning and to take out the footbeds because they hurt that bad haha. Lesson learned. 

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610
Incomplete sentence fixed.
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 8:52 AM, Wicked3Aussie said:

Theres no problem with that, the problem comes with baking them traditionally.

The way I did it was the only time these speed plates have ever been comfortable and of any benefit to me.

Give it a try and see for yourself, what have you got to lose? 

mine are baked the way they should be and fit perfectly. i have no reason to change them.

On 6/25/2017 at 9:37 AM, asgoodasdead said:

But you haven't tried it so you can't say that it's a problem. Graf Sidas insoles are formed to the feet, not to the skate footbed. Their purpose is to bridge the gaps in the footbed, not fill them. It makes more sense for the insole to hug your foot than your skate. You can't have both unless your foot is exactly the shape of your skate's footbed or unless the speedplate varies its thickness to fill both the gaps in the sole of your foot and gaps in the skates footbed at the same time, which it does not. Wicked3Aussie makes an excellent point.

Edited by Larry54
  • Like 1

so i ended up swapping out my speed plates for the ccm curex insoles that came with my skates. the blistering caused by the rounded edges of the insoles was becoming an issue. i really liked how low and connected to the ground i felt and maybe one day if i go back to supremes i'll give them another go. 

Interesting. I know that as once as the my speed plates start to rattle when I shake my boot, it is time for me to re-bake. For me, they are a little high maintenance for me ha. I'm only using them because they came with my 1Xs. Whenever they are due to be replaced, I'll go back to SuperFeet.

Howdy,

Reading up on speed plates because my wife is thinking she wants something a little more supportive than the stock insoles in her new X600's.

Any updates to address durability for these, or are people still regularly having them crack?

Mark

Edited by marka

Just like anything else, if you take care of it, the rate of failure will go down.

Every cracked SpeedPlate I've seen looked like I had to wear a hazmat suit to handle it.  Remember, they're plastic and it traps moisture inside the skate after use.

Remove them and make sure the boot is dry and you should be good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Reading up on speed plates because my wife is thinking she wants something a little more supportive than the stock insoles in her new X600's.

Any updates to address durability for these, or are people still regularly having them crack?

Mark

I’ve had mine since May last year, I skate typically six hours a week, and there is no sign of any cracking. I take mine out of the skates when I get home as trapped moisture can cause the skate rivets to rust. My understanding is that cracking was an issue with early ones, though I might be mistaken, that said, even if they only lasted a year I’d buy another set, they are just so damned good. 

• Like 1

A few that I have seen crack were also the result of a rivet or rivets that were not sitting flush.  As previously mentioned, all footbeds should be removed from the skate after skating.  It amazes me that the majority of skaters do not take care of their equipment properly. 

• Like 3

After baking, how long do I need to wait to before playing in these? I’ve found all sorts of baking instructions, but nothing about how long to let them set before ripping up and down the ice. 

9 minutes ago, start_today said:

After baking, how long do I need to wait to before playing in these? I’ve found all sorts of baking instructions, but nothing about how long to let them set before ripping up and down the ice. 

About an hour. 

On 2/4/2018 at 2:02 PM, Leif said:

I’ve had mine since May last year, I skate typically six hours a week, and there is no sign of any cracking. I take mine out of the skates when I get home as trapped moisture can cause the skate rivets to rust. My understanding is that cracking was an issue with early ones, though I might be mistaken, that said, even if they only lasted a year I’d buy another set, they are just so damned good. 

We have sold a bunch of the v2 model and haven't had a single issue.