Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

True XCore - hollowicked

Id like to start this post with a huge thank you to JR, True Hockey and MSH for the pleasure of testing and reviewing this stick. I am extremely excited to use a True stick for the first time.

Product: True Xcore 9

Curve : TC2 ( P92, P3, W03, P19)

Flex: 85

Grip: Yes

The stick is the latest and greatest offering from True, with a unique urethane insert in the blade that claims to increase puck spin producing a more accurate shot along with great puck feel.

About Me:

Height : 5'11"

Weight : 215

31 years old

Position : Play mostly center but wings as well

I am a B league Beer league Playing with about 20+ years of experience. I have played competitively at a high level and in my current game I try to capitalize with speed and stick-handling. My shot break down during a game is mostly wrist and snap shots with the occasional big wind up. I try to optimize and load my stick as much as possible producing a hard quick release. I prefer to let the stick do the work whenever possible ( could be Im lazy).

Recent sticks : I have mostly been a mid kick guy the NXG, nexus 1000, Tacks stick of recent. I have however tried out a few low kick options very recently ( QR1 and Apx2) Generally I tend to lean toward non grip sticks because I do not like an overly tacky rubber feeling stick but it is getting harder and harder of late finding non grip sticks.

First Impression :

Appearance : The stick looks fantastic in my opinion. The clean color scheme of the black and sliver with blue highlights look great. The attention to detail is superb with the True logo placed in the carbon weave.

Grip: I personally do not care much for grip sticks because the majority of them are way to tacky for me. I normally go for a non grip with a candy cane ( I know horrible for my gloves) but this grip was surprisingly done very well. I have not used it on the ice yet but just holding the stick with my gloves on my hands moved free when I needed them too but at the same time had that connection with the stick.

Weight : The stick feel light and right on par with other top of the line offerings. Overall lighter then my NXG but only a few grams heavier then the QR1. I am not one to worry about grams here or there the balance and feel of a stick are much more important to me.

Balance: I loved it. I was worried of it being blade heavy with the urethane insert but it definitely was not. Very well balanced stick

Overall : I am extremely impressed with the Xcore 9 fit and finish out of the box. I cannot wait to get it on the ice for some True testing. Currently I am in between seasons with our next one starting in a week or so but I will hit a stick and pick session Friday as well as a shinny style pickup game this Sat morning with some buddies.

Stay tuned.

Update : I had the chance to take the stick out roughly 6 six times. The initial session was very interesting and took some time to get used too. I say this because I am coming from sticks with super stiff blades that lack in the feel department. Starting with the shaft I thought it was great.The boxy shape with concave walls had great whip to it and felt slightly softer then the 85 flex rating. The main star of this stick is in fact the blade. I was skeptical at first in thinking how could a little insert really bring back the wood like feel I have been in search of for years. I will say the blade deliverers as advertised. Puck feel is one of the best I have had in years. The puck just seems to stick to the blade when receiving passing and stick handling. You know where the puck is at all times. The blade is still stiff though where it needs to be and does not open up at all during shooting. While shooting you feel like you catch all the puck more times then not. Just has a great large sweet spot. Durability has been great as well no chips or cracks, just a small nick in the toe but its very minor. I look forward to keep putting this stick through its paces.

I really want to apologize for the gap in my reviews but I have been busy with traveling for work. I will say the stick is still being as my primary stick during each game / shinny session I am attending. The durability has been great. No cracks or breakage just the normal wear and tear of chips in the blade and on the lower shaft. I often play center so my sticks can get beat up during face offs. I did notice the stick softening up a tad in the terms of flex, nothing to get alarmed about but noticeable. The blade has remained the star of this stick. The feel is just amazing the puck is glued to the blade at all times. I will continue to update this review look forward to using more true products from here on out, rock solid stick.