Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gummer12

STX Stallion 500 Shinpads - Vulcan7905

I'd like to start off with a huge Thank you to JR and STX for letting me review this product! I was very excited to see it at WF and now to hold and use is great!

Background: 5'11" ; 390 lbs ; Play C League and Beginner League.

Product: STX Stallion 500 Shinpad

Previous Shins: CCM Fit03

Time frame: Two Skates so far

Initial Impression:

At first glance, I love the look at these pads and the idea of a Kevlar cut resistant sock built in. It's a great theory and I have yet to have it tested on me. But when the time comes and something like that might happen, I'll be so glad it's there. They look amazing and feel quite light. The biggest thing I love is the 360 Strap. All the shin pads I have owned, I have had to cut off the straps as they just dont fit my leg at all. These fit so great and I can get them as tight as possible. My only worry is the durability of a strap like that.

20150627_075439_zpsnflehvgr.jpg

20150627_075356_zpshpjnherr.jpg

20150627_075409_zpswb68glf2.jpg

20150627_075421_zps7pevxext.jpg

Fit:

The fit of these shins are good. Maybe it's because I'm so use to my CCM Fit03, that I have to take a different approach to these. They are a bit bulky as I can barely get my sock above the knee part now.

Mobility:

The mobility for me is some what limited. Between my CCM Fit03 and these, I had better mobility with my CCM Fits

Protection:

Took a couple off the shins and didnt even notice thats how much it softens a shot. The protection is great and with the Cut resistant sock, it has A LOT of protection to them!

Weight:

Just a tad heavier then my CCM Fit03, but still light for a Shin pad.

Durability:

So far two skates in them. Will tell more when I have more skates in them!

Got two skates in with these. For some reason, I feel as if they are bulkier than a lot of pads I have used. They are extremely protective though. I took a slap shot off one and felt nothing, usually, I would have a bruise next day and had nothing at all. The only thing I would say is, if you wear a 15 shin, get a size down. I feel as if the 15 is way to long for me and i feel like i should have went with a 14 in all honesty.

After a couple months I can review them better now.

I still think they are too big for me. I use to wear a 15 in a CCM. These however, I think I need to go down to a 14. They dig in pretty bad and that's when I even have them raised a little bit. Still, extremely protective and I have taken many a shots off of them. Not sure I said it before but, when you do go down its still a pain trying to get up on one knee as you just wobble back and forth.

So, My old CCM's have finally cracked. I had to have a friend cut these a little bit as they dug into my ankles so badly. With them being cut now, They are freaking fantastic. I have been hit with the puck quite a bit with these from slap shots to wrist shots and they bounce right off and I dont feel a thing. The wickening is also great as well. I love how I can take them off and just wipe the sweat with a towel.