Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mapenasty

Hockey Wraparound Blade Protector

Has anyone used this product before? I play inline on a painted concrete surface and I go through so many sticks. The damage to the stick is typically from the floor contact where the heel or toe starts splitting apart. It seems like a very interesting product and I'm inclined to give it a try. If anyone has any experience with it, please let me know.

http://www.hockeywraparound.com/

There was a thread about this product in the ice hockey forum, but I think it was called a different name. I tried to search, but could not find the thread. It was earlier this year I believe.

I'd highly recommend it (even for games) and have used it a lot. IMO, it's way better than using a two piece stick with an ABS blade. I used the first gen, which is now the 2.0 and still took slap shots without it breaking. I'd probably go for the PRO version now though.

Yes, you tape over it. It adds some weight and you'll have a pingy blade feel but like I said, totally worth it IMO.

Here's a few pics from when we first took it out:

http://blog.icewarehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/DSC_1628-559x1024.jpg

http://blog.icewarehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/DSC_1657.jpg

http://blog.icewarehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/DSC_1658.jpg

Decent product. My first one just died after a month of two 3 hour sessions a week. Not sure if I'll buy another one or not, May just get a two piece set up for outdoor practice.

IMAG0579_zpskcvumwjy.jpg

i noticed they only have a single product now, noted as the ONE. not sure if this can handle some gameplay or not. anyone know about the new model?

2 hours ago, Stewie said:

i noticed they only have a single product now, noted as the ONE. not sure if this can handle some gameplay or not. anyone know about the new model?

The model I posted about is the ONE. it could probably handle some game use in the beginning, it's pretty solid. But having it on the ground continuously in a game scenario would probably wear it down even faster. I was never worried about it just snapping or bending out of control like they warn about the older versions, but the bottom wore through pretty quickly.

It's about the same price as an ABS blade, so if you already have a two piece set up it probably isn't worth risking it wearing through during a game and irrevocably damaging a $150 one piece composite.

2 hours ago, kmfdm86 said:

The model I posted about is the ONE. it could probably handle some game use in the beginning, it's pretty solid. But having it on the ground continuously in a game scenario would probably wear it down even faster. I was never worried about it just snapping or bending out of control like they warn about the older versions, but the bottom wore through pretty quickly.

It's about the same price as an ABS blade, so if you already have a two piece set up it probably isn't worth risking it wearing through during a game and irrevocably damaging a $150 one piece composite.

thanks for the input! id likely be using it on an already well used OPS for some play on smooth cement if i were to go that route. I am currently using shaft and ABS combo, and it is working ok, but would like another setup. Could very well just get another shaft and ABS soon, guess i will have to decide.

Well if you're looking at it vs a whole new two piece set I'd say it's worth a try. Only a $25 investment. 

One thing to note, when I first put it on my regular game stick, the metal teeth kind of dug into the blade at the toe and gouged it a few places.

After that I always put tape on the blade before putting it on the stick, then wrapping over it enough to hold it in place.