Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JONES199

Skate "Pitch"?

Are all skates "pitched" the same? I notice that most of the forwards on my kids team skate in Vapors and most of the D skate in Supremes. Is this a coincidence or is there a difference in the way the skates make you stand?

There is a slight difference in the "cant" of the boot, or basically how the back of the boot and tendon guard position you. The Vapor puts you leaning forward a little bit more naturally, while the Supreme is more neutral/straight up and down. In my opinion, the overall fit of the boot (narrow for Vapor and average for Supreme) is a far more important consideration when buying skates. Put another way, if I were a D-man with a narrow foot, I'd get a Vapor, if I were a forward with a slightly wider foot, I'd get a Supreme. You can adjust the setup with profiling and shimming after the fact.

CCM for example has three different settings: ribcor 10 degrees, Jetspeed 13, Tacks 16 degrees forward flex in the boot.

Pitch makes a huge difference to me. I tried Grafs which have an aggressive forward pitch and I hated them (and I was mostly playing forward). I went back to Bauer Supreme which has a neutral pitch and skated so much better. It's usually recommended that forwards want a little more forward pitch and defenseman want a little more neutral pitch. The reason is that defensemen skate backwards, so a more neutral pitch is better for them.

Pitch does make a huge difference, and if you have a foot that can fit multiple lines of skates, you can absolutely pick one based on what you think you need for your game. However, it's a LOT harder to change the overall fit of a boot around your foot with a sometimes months-long process of baking, punching, and stretching, than it is to change the pitch, which can be pretty easily and inexpensively done with shimming and profiling.

CCM for example has three different settings: ribcor 10 degrees, Jetspeed 13, Tacks 16 degrees forward flex in the boot.

Interesting; source?

Interesting; source?

I am sure its from a trusted source - hard to remember right now from where I got it, think I saw a video from the CCM product manager. But should be no problem to get this confirmed by CCM itself.

What pitch is NXG skates anyone? Sorry for jumping in on the post.

I don't have the exact degrees like markush, but the NXG (and for that matter the entire Supreme line) is neutral. The tendon guard is more or less straight up and down and there is the least amount of forward-pitched/profiling on the steel/holder/outsole of any major brand skate out at the moment.

Maybe someone from CCM could clarify the degree of forward flex. I just recently read somewhere that the JetSpeed's were 10 degrees, Ribcore 13 degrees, Tacks 16 degrees.

Maybe someone from CCM could clarify the degree of forward flex. I just recently read somewhere that the JetSpeed's were 10 degrees, Ribcore 13 degrees, Tacks 16 degrees.

Just got a reply from CCM. Jetspeed's and Ribcore are both 13 degrees forward flex and Tacks are 16 degrees.

Just got a reply from CCM. Jetspeed's and Ribcore are both 13 degrees forward flex and Tacks are 16 degrees.

Do you have any informations about the forward flex of Bauer Vapor/Supreme skates too?

For anyone that likes a neutral profile, or a flatter more balanced stance, which if I'm not mistaken, the older Tuuk models offer, has anyone taken a little bit off of the back of the blade? Kind of like a -1 pitch.

This is in regard to the new style of holders that reebok, Easton, and I think the tuuk's as well offer, in that they all seem to claim to be 3-4 mm higher for a better angle of attack. I'm wondering if this new height has ever thrown anyone's balance off, and opposed to dealing with it and adapting, has anyone done a minor reverse pitch?

For anyone that likes a neutral profile, or a flatter more balanced stance, which if I'm not mistaken, the older Tuuk models offer, has anyone taken a little bit off of the back of the blade? Kind of like a -1 pitch.

This is in regard to the new style of holders that reebok, Easton, and I think the tuuk's as well offer, in that they all seem to claim to be 3-4 mm higher for a better angle of attack. I'm wondering if this new height has ever thrown anyone's balance off, and opposed to dealing with it and adapting, has anyone done a minor reverse pitch?

The CXN Easton holder has an increased pitch but the Bauer edge and the CCM +4 have increased the height at the toe and heel so haven't really increased the pitch. Someone else could comment on this as well to make sure I am correct on this.

Do you have any informations about the forward flex of Bauer Vapor/Supreme skates too?

I don't actually have the degree of forward flex for the Supreme/Vapor skates. I could check with Bauer. Does anyone know that answer?

Let me ask it another way, since I thought of it a different way.

It feels as if the flat spot that you skate on is in line with the front of my ankle. Makes it feel like I'm skating on the back portion of the skate. I'm on a neutral profile, 9' radius, size 6.

I feel like I want to be balanced midway between the ball of my foot and the middle of my foot. Have I lost my mind in thinking that I'd need a reverse pitch then? Meaning doing a -1 or -2 pitch?

If I went to a bigger radius, say 10' or 11' I think that would only exacerbate the current feeling of lots of steel in the heel area. Though it would put more steel at the front too, and maybe I'd like that?

Can't think straight today.