Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Bauer Supreme 1S OD1N Goal Pads

Garrett Sparks posted these to FB the other day. These are apparently production OD1N goalie pads, "Supreme 1S", based on the photos. Lundqvist has been wearing them for a while now.

I don't know too much about them besides that, though.

Q5MWX3s.jpg

JqsmQKi.jpg

piTCCur.jpg

5Wglcxk.jpg

NXxhNXm.jpg

F0IwUaT.jpg

jmCmBcc.jpg

Ueqt0KL.jpg

Made in China it looks like? As for the strapping it looks like velcro is the way to go. I don't know how I feel about that boot strap though.

Wasn't OD1N a line of gear that was made as a sort of 'showcase' thing? They made a full line of gear, specifically for a few of their top pros, to wear at the Sochi Olympics. Unfortunately only a few players used any of the gear, and none of it was gear that was visible. I believe Toews and Backstrom use full body OD1N suits, and then Lundqvist uses the goalie pads.

Here is a thread on it - http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/65096-bauer-od1n-project

I got to see a pair in person this week, these are so light. I can only imagine being a goalie and using them.

My initial thoughts so far.

Not a fan of the back attachments/wraps. Lack of strapping, although I see the slots for straps to be inserted. Maybe just omitted for pics? Choice of using nylon or leather?

37.5 lining, and curve composite, very nice. No Poron XRD? Using Curv in the gloves should lend well to heat molding them in skate ovens and hopefully lessen break in time.

The sizing though, looks like they're doing Sm, Med, Lg? Perhaps more? Kind of an off shoot from current sizing standards. Hope they have enough options to accommodate everyone.

Toe Ties... not sure why they didn't go with their version of the Brian's Smart Strap that they've been putting on their youth models.

I think the back strapping is one of the best parts. But that's also coming from somebody who loves the smart straps.

The toe tie is a bit of a mystery though I guess the pros still use old school toe ties for some reason.

Love the idea of heat molding for gloves!

For people with normal sized legs, sure. Probably are very nice. But thinkin about us, plumpier, goalies with bigger than average legs lol

Very nice of you to suggest I'm not a fatass :)

But seriously, they almost work better because the straps sit in just the right place so one strap sits on top of the calf muscle and one below it. Holds everything perfectly.

I just like that I can have the straps tight so the pads hug my legs but because of the stretch they still move well.

But still, to each their own. I'm all for forward thinking tech. The stuff Brian's, Warrior and now Bauer are doing I think are great.

I'm kind of digging that boot strap, actually. Seems like it would mesh nicely with my hatred of toe ties and my desire for flexibility.

Made in China it looks like? As for the strapping it looks like velcro is the way to go. I don't know how I feel about that boot strap though.

I don't see JRZ markings, disappointing, I think you may be right

I'm kind of digging that boot strap, actually. Seems like it would mesh nicely with my hatred of toe ties and my desire for flexibility.

Its very similar to the Brian's boot strap, though the Brian's one looks a bit better. I hate toe ties as well; I was never able to get them feeling right. After switching to the smart toe strap I don't even notice anymore. All the mobility I could want while still being connected. I'm really happy to see Bauer doing some of the same things, though it's not surprising to see them with the traditional tie since the pros still very much cling to traditional strapping for the most part.

Good eye. Interesting. Wonder if that's going to continue down the rest of the line, or if it's just the 1S only. Be interesting to see what they bring down the line this year, and from here on out.

Manufacturing tags with Chinese writing and company names on them as well. I wonder if the pro/customs will be made off-shore as well?

I know when Reebok/CCM's top end Premier pads moved off shore people would rather go custom and get a Canadian-made pad instead.

Wasn't OD1N a line of gear that was made as a sort of 'showcase' thing? They made a full line of gear, specifically for a few of their top pros, to wear at the Sochi Olympics. Unfortunately only a few players used any of the gear, and none of it was gear that was visible. I believe Toews and Backstrom use full body OD1N suits, and then Lundqvist uses the goalie pads.

Here is a thread on it - http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/65096-bauer-od1n-project

It was, but more of the player gear than the goalie. Henrik and a few others had been using the OD1N leg pads before the Olympics. Henrik went as far back as the 13/14 season. His Yankee pinstripe pads were OD1N's.

My initial thoughts so far.

Not a fan of the back attachments/wraps. Lack of strapping, although I see the slots for straps to be inserted. Maybe just omitted for pics? Choice of using nylon or leather?

37.5 lining, and curve composite, very nice. No Poron XRD? Using Curv in the gloves should lend well to heat molding them in skate ovens and hopefully lessen break in time.

The sizing though, looks like they're doing Sm, Med, Lg? Perhaps more? Kind of an off shoot from current sizing standards. Hope they have enough options to accommodate everyone.

Toe Ties... not sure why they didn't go with their version of the Brian's Smart Strap that they've been putting on their youth models.

It looks like they are going S, M, L (XL?) with an adjustable knee. I think you're going to see all manufacturers go to some variant of this because there are such large differences in sizing between manufacturers and how pro's measure their pads. Brian's has been doing something similar in that 34" and 35" pads have the same length shin and knee. The difference is in the thigh. A 34+2 is the exact same pad as 35+1. They are able to fit a larger range of sizes this way. The new Bauer sizing will do the same thing.

On the stolen pics of Cam Talbot's OD1N's (yes he is testing them despite his huge CCM promo last week), they had shock cord toe ties, so they did think of an elastic option. I don't like the execution of the Brian's system. The double straps slide off each other and move around. The elastic is still infintely superior to regular lace ties, but I preferred my bungee cord system I jerry rigged over the clean premade Brian's ones.

I'm also surprised that they didn't put the Poron XRD in the landing gear. They spent all that money to buy G-force and have made this push to put in everything, why not in their new pads where it makes the most sense?

I think the back strapping is one of the best parts. But that's also coming from somebody who loves the smart straps.

The toe tie is a bit of a mystery though I guess the pros still use old school toe ties for some reason.

Love the idea of heat molding for gloves!

Very nice of you to suggest I'm not a fatass :)

But seriously, they almost work better because the straps sit in just the right place so one strap sits on top of the calf muscle and one below it. Holds everything perfectly.

I just like that I can have the straps tight so the pads hug my legs but because of the stretch they still move well.

But still, to each their own. I'm all for forward thinking tech. The stuff Brian's, Warrior and now Bauer are doing I think are great.

You're also going to see all manufacturers go to this, with the exception of probably the CCM version of the RBK Premier line (people who like that open back don't want the wrap). They are trying to remove as much as possible from the pads to cut weight, and also allow better customization. The elastic allows you to have the strap wherever you want, and remain tight to provide control while stretching to achieve the same function as having loose pads at the same time. You'll be able to add leather straps if you want, but they are going to be moving away from that direction. Brian's used to include them in the Gnetik's, now I don't think they do in the Gnetik 2's. I actually think the Bauer version of this will work better because of the neoprene. You're going to get a better wrap and support than just the elastic of the Brian's system. I think that something like this would be incredible in the knee lock.

For people with normal sized legs, sure. Probably are very nice. But thinkin about us, plumpier, goalies with bigger than average legs lol

I have smaller legs and have to leave easily 3" of extra strap on the inside of my Brian's. The strap is much longer than you think it is, it should be no problem fitting on any leg. I can't speak for the Bauer version though. Their strap looks different, less adustable. And I don't know whats up with the double strap thing. I think a hybrid version of the Bauer/Brian's system would be the best. Set up of the Brian's with neoprene sections.

I don't like the execution of the Brian's system. The double straps slide off each other and move around. The elastic is still infintely superior to regular lace ties, but I preferred my bungee cord system I jerry rigged over the clean premade Brian's ones.

Really? The Brians straps work extremely well. I haven't had any of this moving around issue you mentioned.

Brian's used to include them in the Gnetik's, now I don't think they do in the Gnetik 2's.

They do. You have to buy a strap kit but all the connectors are there.

I actually think the Bauer version of this will work better because of the neoprene. You're going to get a better wrap and support than just the elastic of the Brian's system.

I disagree because of how little stretch neoprene has compared to elastic. The best part of the elastic smart straps is that because they are elastic you can wear your pads pretty tight to your leg and still have the full range of motion you'd have if they were loosely strapped on with leather straps. Maybe the neoprene would be somewhere in the middle of those two extremes?

I have smaller legs and have to leave easily 3" of extra strap on the inside of my Brian's.

Why not just tighten the straps?

Really? The Brians straps work extremely well. I haven't had any of this moving around issue you mentioned.

Yeah, the two sections of the straps end up spreading out and slide. It's not really noticable on the ice because the elastic still stretches. But they aren't always in the same place at the end as where they started.
They do. You have to buy a strap kit but all the connectors are there.
So they don't. They included both kinds of straps with the Gnetik 1's. Now you have to pay extra for the leather.
I disagree because of how little stretch neoprene has compared to elastic. The best part of the elastic smart straps is that because they are elastic you can wear your pads pretty tight to your leg and still have the full range of motion you'd have if they were loosely strapped on with leather straps. Maybe the neoprene would be somewhere in the middle of those two extremes?
That's what I'm saying. Not a full neoprene strap, but like maybe the first 4-5" closest to the velcro that would be over the calf, then the same elastic after that. You'd get the same stretch and ability to put that strap whever you want by adjusting the length, but you'd get a better wrap and support over the calf from the neoprene. Even a sleeve over the elastic strap like they are using on some shin guards would work.
Why not just tighten the straps?
No, I mean I have them tightened down with like 3" left over at the end. So you could make them at least 3" longer if you needed.

So they don't. They included both kinds of straps with the Gnetik 1's. Now you have to pay extra for the leather.

I assumed you meant they don't even provide the option. Who cares if they're actually included? I'd prefer they not be so I don't have to store a pack of straps I'll never use.

Anyway, back on topic :)

I assumed you meant they don't even provide the option. Who cares if they're actually included? I'd prefer they not be so I don't have to store a pack of straps I'll never use.

Anyway, back on topic :)

I got ya. The point was that Brian's is trying to push away from leather straps. First they went elastic, but included the leather for the people that pushed back. Now, they go further with the implementation of the elastic, and will make you buy the leather if you still want to push back. My guess is that Gnetik 3's will not include a traditional option. I think as people actually try the elastic and realize how superior it is, particularly for the butterfy, you'll see traditional strapping go away.

I got ya. The point was that Brian's is trying to push away from leather straps. First they went elastic, but included the leather for the people that pushed back. Now, they go further with the implementation of the elastic, and will make you buy the leather if you still want to push back. My guess is that Gnetik 3's will not include a traditional option. I think as people actually try the elastic and realize how superior it is, particularly for the butterfy, you'll see traditional strapping go away.

Agreed, which is why it's nice to see other companies like Warrior and now Bauer doing some innovation and pushing forward towards the future as well.

(I'm sure some of the older guys are rolling their eyes at this conversation)