Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shoot_the_goalie

equipment you bought that ended up being "unnecessary"?

Just interested. Anyone buy a piece of equipment that you thought was going to be really useful, and then you ended up "shelving" it cause it wasn't worth using anymore or didn't work the way you thought it would? Not talking about a specific brand or anything, but a type of general class of gear.

i.e. - heated skate blades (Thermablades), blade tape, padded hockey shirt, slash guards, etc...

Elastic shin straps instead of tape, thought I'd use them more

That's a good one. I've seen a bunch of guys use those, only to then stop using them for whatever reason. I've also occasionally seen a velcro strap used around skate ankles...and then abandoned.

It wasn't a general item, really more for my situation, but I bought an extended back protector. I broke 3 vertebra in a game last year, so when I was cleared to play again I felt like I would need more protection in that area. So I got a football "flak jacket" that I wore under my shoulder pads. But it turns out my back has healed stronger than it was before I got hurt, and the extra protection isnt necessary. The doctor also said that the breaks were caused by contraction of my muscles (avulsion fracture) rather than the impact, so the pad wouldn't have made a difference.

Skate tongues. I was able to add thick felt to replace the foam in my 8090 and One95 skates. Maybe I will get to swap the tongues one day.

I would never ever play without elbow pads. Seen enough pics and heard enough stories of shattered elbows from falls.

It wasn't a general item, really more for my situation, but I bought an extended back protector. I broke 3 vertebra in a game last year, so when I was cleared to play again I felt like I would need more protection in that area. So I got a football "flak jacket" that I wore under my shoulder pads. But it turns out my back has healed stronger than it was before I got hurt, and the extra protection isnt necessary. The doctor also said that the breaks were caused by contraction of my muscles (avulsion fracture) rather than the impact, so the pad wouldn't have made a difference.

As an alternative for anyone in a similar situation lacrosse rib pads are protective and fairly low profile.

I had a close call from a hit to the head and it freaked me out so I bought a mouth guard. Played one shift with it and realized when I tried to communicate on the ice everything sounded like "mmmgggmphhhhtttppmm".... anyways after that shift I tossed it in the bag and haven't used it since

Velcro Shin straps and Mouthguard.

mouthguard?

They're only unnecessary until theyre necessary. And by then, you've already started the process of turning your brain into mashed potatoes.

If you consider your mouthguard unnecessary, consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

MLX skates. First couple of skates I thought I loved them. Turns out what I actually loved was just the FBV sharpening they came with, and a service that's very hard to find in Scandinavia. Not that they're bad boots, but they will require a rather extensive home craft project to turn them into a skate that lets me move like in Grafs but with higher tech and slightly less weight. That elaborate replacement project just seems silly when the real thing still exists.

Edit: after following Scott Van Horne's baking instructions, the MLX are actually all I was hoping they would be and more. Very happy with them now, and will definitely get VH custom if I can afford them.

Oh shit.... Neck guards.... The minute I was old enough, that pointless piece of crap went in the bin.

Zednik... Del Zotto... Malarchuk...

Zednik... Del Zotto... Malarchuk...

Don't forget Trent McCleary.

Makes you wonder what the outcome could be in such instances if medical staff weren't present.

I don't think a neck guard would have helped Trent McCleary. As tragic as that injury was to his career.

I definitely agree with shin sleeves. Though they ended up being useful when I started reffing.... Kind of. They WOULD have been, but I never actually reffed a game... Heh.

I don't think a neck guard would have helped Trent McCleary. As tragic as that injury was to his career.

Not the kind we're used to, no. Or, if so, only in the slightest. But it still raises the issue of what exactly a neck guard should protect against.

shoulder and elbow pads..non checking beer league. they just sit in my bag, used like once in 3 years

I get the chills just thinking about playing without elbow pads. That one time.... oh shit.

I forgot them once for a game and just went home. I'd almost rather just play without leg pads.

Landed hard on my elbows without pads at a stick and puck session when someone backwards skated right into me. Luckily no damage but hurt like hell and wouldn't want to experience something like that at a higher speed. One piece of equipment I just don't go without anymore, regardless of how non-contact the league or session is.

It's always interesting how many people think checking is the only reason to wear certain protective equipment...

Once had a coach asking me while getting on the ice with mites why I don't wear a helmet. Said I'm usually not skating or doing anything crazy, hadn't had an incident in 8 years of coaching. 30 seconds later a little kid wiped out behind me and took my legs out from under me. Bounced the back of my head off the ice. I now have a helmet with a visor I wear when coaching on the ice.

Once had a coach asking me while getting on the ice with mites why I don't wear a helmet. Said I'm usually not skating or doing anything crazy, hadn't had an incident in 8 years of coaching. 30 seconds later a little kid wiped out behind me and took my legs out from under me. Bounced the back of my head off the ice. I now have a helmet with a visor I wear when coaching on the ice.

Bingo.