Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reddevilpara

CCM Jetspeed Skates

Ok, normally I'd just go down to my local Hockey Retailer and try them on, but living in Doha, Qatar I don't have that luxury. Been in Bauers since

1987 but wore Ultra Tacks prior. Always been a 6 Bauer. Since it's been a while can't remember what size I wore in CCM.

Anyone have any idea how the Jet Speeds fit compared to the Bauer fit? Pretty interested in them. Might just wait till I go back to the states in March to try them on.

Thanks

Not exactly the same, but the closest thing would be Supreme. Sizing is supposed to be back to normal, as opposed to the crazy RBZ sizing. However, having tried them on, I really think they still fit a little on the bigger side.

I would agree they are still a bit large on the sizing scale. I wear a 6.5 in bauers and thought the 6 was a hair larger than a Bauer 6.5. obviously try them on but you will most likely be a 5.5 in the jet

speed

Agreed. Usually an 8.5, ended up with a 8 D in the Jetspeeds. Fit is similar to the Supremes, but I think they're a bit roomier.

Thanks guys, I think I'll just wait and try them on when I'm back in the States. I'll get thru with my MX3s till then.

Tried these on today. Felt very similar to my mx3 fit. Did have to go down a half size in them. Normally wear an 8 in supreme and 7.5 in Jetspeed.

I usually fit in a 7.5 in Bauer/ 8 in Grafs but I am in 6.5 with the Jetspeeds. They definitely fit large. FWIW I really like them. They fit my feet well. I have a wide forefoot/high arches and a regular heel width

I think if I'm not mistaken, the CCM compares to Bauer like this.

Vapor - Ribcore

Supreme - JetSpeed

Nexus - Tacks

I demoed the CCM JetSpeed and absolutely loved the the skate, the ones I wore in the demo were probably only worn about 5 times and they felt better than any other skate I've ever worn right out of the box. I'm currently in Vapor X7.0's and made the jump to CCM JetSpeed's. I've skated in the JetSpeeds about 8 times now, twice before baking and 6 after baking. Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to return the JetSpeeds because they fit no where near like the ones I demoed. The heel lock / ankle padding is so tight and rests right on the top of and on the sides of my heel that they make my heel go numb. I tried them with the standard footbeds, the CCM Medium arch footbeds and the Superfeet that I use in my Vapors and they all make the bottom of my heel go numb. I seem to sit a whole lot more shallow in the JetSpeeds that I have compared to the ones that I demoed.

So Jetspeed in CCM is close Supream in Bauer?

Jetspeed = Supreme

Ribcore = Nexus

Tacks = Vapour

???

I think if I'm not mistaken, the CCM compares to Bauer like this.

Vapor - Ribcore

Supreme - JetSpeed

Nexus - Tacks

I demoed the CCM JetSpeed and absolutely loved the the skate, the ones I wore in the demo were probably only worn about 5 times and they felt better than any other skate I've ever worn right out of the box. I'm currently in Vapor X7.0's and made the jump to CCM JetSpeed's. I've skated in the JetSpeeds about 8 times now, twice before baking and 6 after baking. Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to return the JetSpeeds because they fit no where near like the ones I demoed. The heel lock / ankle padding is so tight and rests right on the top of and on the sides of my heel that they make my heel go numb. I tried them with the standard footbeds, the CCM Medium arch footbeds and the Superfeet that I use in my Vapors and they all make the bottom of my heel go numb. I seem to sit a whole lot more shallow in the JetSpeeds that I have compared to the ones that I demoed.

So rebake them.

I have twice now with the same issue. I think we all can agree that some discomfort is normal with new skates but numbness is not normal. I only have 30 days to decide if they are going to work or not and I'm getting close to that.

So rebake them.

From experience these are the worst skates I have ever worn and here's why:

I've had the skate for around 6 weeks and cannot stand them, thankfully they were free from a warranty replacement in my tacks. The boot itself I find provides no ankle support and have noticed it hindering my ability to make transitions and keep up with play. Also I've had to replace most of the eyelets as they have become bent and broken just from tying the skate up. They are giving me a Bauer bump on the outside of my foot above the ankle bone and even after heat moulding them 4 times it is still there. I went with superfeet and experienced terrible cramping on the arch and thinking it was the insole I tried the stock insole but that proved no help.

Before these I was in tacks (only skates they had in a size 12) and before those I was wearing an apx2

Just thought I'd let you guys know what I feel of them haha

Also forgot to mention that the tendon guard is already soft as can be

It's great to hear all kinds of feedback on products, both positive and negative, to get the full picture. With that said, Jetspeeds, Tacks and Vapor APX2 skates all fit differently - some probably fit your foot better than others. If the Jetspeed doesn't fit you that well that could be the cause of some of your problems with the skates (likely the Bauer bump and cramping). Fit should trump everything - materials, concepts, technology, release date, name, branding ect. Finding a skate that fits all areas well (forefoot width, depth, heel lock ect.) can be problematic for some people, but there are a lot of options out there to try.

Why did you decide to move from Tacks to the Jetspeeds when you had the Tacks replaced under warranty? Did the Tacks not fit well and the Jetspeeds fit better in the store? Or were you just tempted to try the latest and greatest product?

Well I was in apx2's for most of the season and they were working great until the plastic eyelets broke and having tryouts the next day I had to get skates. This was in late March so most stores didn't have much in stock and the only size 12 I could find was a tacks. It fit horribly and was way to wide (I have a narrow foot) but took it anyways. 40 days in the attack frame was broken and the boot was providing no support so I took it back to the store and asked what they could do. They said that we can give you the jetspeeds now or you'll have to wait for our next shipment of tacks to come. So I took the jetspeeds without really thinking. They fit my foot way better than the tacks and to me it feels exactly like the apx2 which I love but just with no ankle support for some reason.

Yes, if you have a narrow foot then the Tacks wouldn't be the right fit. I believe the Ribcor is the skate in the CCM line that's the narrowest and shallowest and would be closest to the APX. The Jetspeeds are their Supreme equivalent.

With a narrow foot the three retail lines that would be worth trying are the Ribcors, Vapors and the Easton Makos in a D width. I see in the other thread that you ordered some VH skates - as long as whoever took the measurements did a good job then those should fit perfectly. If in the future you decide or need to grab some retail skates then Makos, Ribcors and Vapors are probably your three best options (there are narrow Graf models, but they're less readily available and I'm not that familiar with Graf so don't know which ones are the narrow ones).

Also forgot to mention that the tendon guard is already soft as can be

I also agree with this, the tendon guard on the JetSpeeds that I have now are not rigid. The one on the left skate can be bent backwards with little effort. So soft that I would've warrantied these skates even if they felt great. What was disappointing is the fact that the demos felt amazing and after playing in them for 2 hours during the demo night, there was absolutely no foot discomfort and I was ready to buy them on the spot but this was 3 weeks prior to them being released. I guess it's back to Vapor's and I'll be getting the 1X's since I'm in Vapor's now and they fit great other than I could stand to drop half a size.

I was going to get the 1x but for the same price I thought why not customs

I have strongly toyed with the thought of getting a pair of VH customs but 2 things have held me back. One, they appear to be very similar to Easton Mako's as far as aesthetics and probably fit and I've never skated in anything like the Mako's. My biggest fear is getting a pair made and not liking the way the boot fits or the way it skates. Which leads me to number two, if I needed them adjusted or had warranty issues, I would have to send them all the way back to Winnipeg which could be costly and time without the skates.

I have strongly toyed with the thought of getting a pair of VH customs but 2 things have held me back. One, they appear to be very similar to Easton Mako's as far as aesthetics and probably fit and I've never skated in anything like the Mako's. My biggest fear is getting a pair made and not liking the way the boot fits or the way it skates. Which leads me to number two, if I needed them adjusted or had warranty issues, I would have to send them all the way back to Winnipeg which could be costly and time without the skates.

Sorry I just made an account and am struggling with the quoting system and those are good points you make I'm just hoping that they will fit and I'll like them haha

Can anyone else comment on the fit? I haven't been able to try them on yet. My buddy had size 7.5 RBZ, and was size 8 like normal in Jetspeeds.

I was wearing a size 12 apx2 and had too move to a size 11 jet speed if that helps

Been skating in my VHs for over a year and half and here's my take on retail vs VH...

1. The boot will fit like a shoe with very little negative space. I tried going back to retail recently, but I found that it just didn't quite have the same wrap/fit. A retail boot fit more like a "U" shape (had some bits of space in a few areas, especially in the toecap height), versus the VH "O" oval shape. Not to knock on anything retail, but it reminds me of a box-like fit, where it has rigid sidewalls with bendable flaps, and some negative space due to placing an organic shape into a somewhat symmetrical box shape.

I'd say the biggest advantage to the VH boot over retail is that it's highly form-able. So if there's a problem area, you can take a heat gun, and punch it out. Whereas, with retail skates, I found that if you had to punch out an area, especially near the outsole, you'll be playing a dangerous game (glue/materials separating and/or outsole separation).

2. Every warranty, no matter what manufacturer, is going to take time to replace/fix. In fact, it took about 2-3 weeks to get a pair of 1Xs warrantied, which is about the same time it took for me to send my skates back to VH for a few alterations and to have them sent back.

With that said, if you want to try out a VH fit without fully committing, then try out a Mako skate. It's the closest thing to retail that comes close to the fit. It's a great fitting boot out of the box. The one caveat I've found is that, when compared other high-end skates, the Makos felt a little on the softer side.

Wrap comparison (I realize the CCM skate is unbaked, but from my experience, a retail skate still retains somewhat of a box-type shape)

TESoy8e.jpg

Which jetspeeds for me.......

I'm a rec league player

Play 2-3 times a week (usually 2 vs 3)

5'8 200 lbs

Was previously in mako 2's. Thinking about the 300 or 290. Leaning toward 290. Pros cons? Is the fit the same between these? I know some skates vary a little as you go down the line. The ankle lock, depth and over all fit is what I like about these most.