Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

Bauer Experience store in Burlington, MA

Is that the same Apple Store model that gets the new ipone in Sept, but the Verizon and ATT stores get them in January?

Actually, Verizon and AT&T corporate stores get iPhone on launch day. The independents are the ones that don't.

I understand there are all kinds of costs associated with operating a business, but as a consumer I generally don’t concern myself with that. Those issues you bring up are between you as a retailer and the manufacturer. I as a consumer have no part in that. I want what I want and when I make the trek out to the shop, the last thing I want to hear is “we don’t have it, but you can order it from our website”. If I wanted to order it or buy it online why would I drive to the store. The whole point of the trip to the store was the immediate gratification of the purchase. Maybe when I go online I find a better price.

Consumers like me are being forced to shop online even when they have no intention of buying online. We head to our local shop with the best of intentions (maybe they did your skates in a pinch and you feel like tossing them some bigger business) only to be told to go home and order it from their website. Hell, maybe I just go to the next shop and see if they have it. Shopping online can be such a friggen hassle. I know some chains don’t allow online purchases to be exchanged or returned at their stores.

Apple releasing new iPhones to Verizon and AT&T before their own stores is news to me. If true I’d argue it makes a whole lot of sense seeing how those places offer a service critical to the operation of those devices. My point was simply, Apple has been able to coexist with a variety of other stores that carry their products, why can't Bauer do the same… After all, we're talking one location, possibly two at best.

How about we give it time and see what happens.

I think what JR means is that the corporately owned Verizon and ATT stores get iPhones the same day as Apple stores carry them, where as independent "authorized retailers" associated with Verizon and ATT do not

Actually, Verizon and AT&T corporate stores get iPhone on launch day. The independents are the ones that don't.

We must not have any ATT corporate stores in my area then, all including the big ones in all the malls did not get their phones till january. I doubt every ATT store is an independent. But, doesn't change the fact that this will be eventually what the Bauer stores do, when you have stockholders, they want profits, and that's is a serious way to make a profit.

I think what JR means is that the corporately owned Verizon and ATT stores get iPhones the same day as Apple stores carry them, where as independent "authorized retailers" associated with Verizon and ATT do not

Exactly. I walked into an AT&T store last September on iPhone Launch day and walked out with an iPhone 6, without any preorder. iPhone 6 Plus that weren't preordered didn't hit stores until January. The only product that they did a staggered launch was Apple Watch (kept in Apple Store until pretty much now.)

This could very well happen - that Bauer and the top retailers get high end product on launch day and smaller independents have to wait a few months.

Perhaps, but there are 3 corporate ATT stores in my area, none of them had any iphones at launch. I was told they were not getting any till Jan. I had to get mine at Apple Store. I find it amusing that sheeple believe Bauer has good intentions. They have to answer to shareholders and any method to increase profits is going to be explored and implemented. Tell. me, in the Boston area, were there not enough stores selling Bauer products? If the experience store was meant to be an experience, they wouldn't be selling the product, rather just showcasing it like they use to do with summer road shows. Stealing sales from their dealers IS their plan.

I find it amusing that sheeple believe Bauer has good intentions. They have to answer to shareholders and any method to increase profits is going to be explored and implemented. Tell. me, in the Boston area, were there not enough stores selling Bauer products? If the experience store was meant to be an experience, they wouldn't be selling the product, rather just showcasing it like they use to do with summer road shows. Stealing sales from their dealers IS their plan.

Amen, well said. Sure, the average retail shopper thinks it's neat to walk in the Bauer store and see a lot of stuff, but Bauer is burning bridges with a lot of great First Line, LOYAL dealers. They better be prepared to make one hell of an apology if these retail experiences go pear-shaped. As soon as one of these stores affect the dollar signs at one of the big online chains, we will see how long of a life span they have.

As a guy who rarely buys anything Bauer (until I've tried everything - they are by no means my default mfgr) I just don't see the entire concept as being useful. Okay, so I go check out the latest and greatest Bauer stuff at the Bauer store, but then I have to go to a retailer to check out everything else and then make a decision. I don't see it ever happening the other way around (going to the retailer first, settling on a Bauer product, and then buying it from the Bauer store.

Sure they'll make sales from plenty of people, there's no question. I just don't think it's going to do as well as they're expecting.

To me it's NOT like Apple. When I goto an Apple Store I've already decided I'm buying an apple device, the question is simply which size/colour. On the other hand, the chances of me settling on Bauer before I even leave the house is very slim.

But I don't know squat about retail or economics... This is just how I personally feel. Hopefully that all made sense in text like it did in my head!

Wow, people certainly are cynical. It's one store, one, and people are acting like its the end of the world. FWIW, every store is in business to make money, don't fault Bauer for the doing the same.

I don't think they'll have the impact everyone thinks they will.

For me, it's just another option. I stopped being loyal when PureHockey got bought out. I shop at three stores, this makes it four. Since I can only get Bauer gear there, I doubt it becomes my primary location.

Sorry but it's not one, not one forever. The Minnesota OTM store is due to open this month. Bauer's original press release stated "Bauer Hockey will open its first "Own The Moment" retail experience in the Boston suburb of Burlington, Mass., in late summer and its second location in the Minneapolis area in the fall. Future phases are currently expected to include the opening of an additional 6-8 BAUER retail experiences over the next several years in key hockey markets across the U.S. and Canada." This is directly from the press release. The next 6 - 8? Chicago, metro Detroit, NYC (Messier's Kingsbridge rinks where Bauer has dropped $4mil directly), Philadelphia, Los Angeles, maybe Pittsburgh or St. Louis are logical US locations. Canada: Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver look primed for OTM. When companies like Bauer spend 24-36 months out on preparing a skate line or protective with R D & D, you have to know that OTM has been given the same treatment. There is no other way to do this logistically. It's really not about where the next 6 - 8 locations open up, but when.

This thread is dynamic because there are multiple points of view here from players/gearheads with their wallets in the game and dealers with their career businesses in the game. The second group has a lot more skin in the game.

As a guy who rarely buys anything Bauer (until I've tried everything - they are by no means my default mfgr) I just don't see the entire concept as being useful. Okay, so I go check out the latest and greatest Bauer stuff at the Bauer store, but then I have to go to a retailer to check out everything else and then make a decision. I don't see it ever happening the other way around (going to the retailer first, settling on a Bauer product, and then buying it from the Bauer store.

Sure they'll make sales from plenty of people, there's no question. I just don't think it's going to do as well as they're expecting.

To me it's NOT like Apple. When I goto an Apple Store I've already decided I'm buying an apple device, the question is simply which size/colour. On the other hand, the chances of me settling on Bauer before I even leave the house is very slim.

But I don't know squat about retail or economics... This is just how I personally feel. Hopefully that all made sense in text like it did in my head!

Their hope and expectation is that they will be able to provide such a good experience with fitting and trying that once they've got you in the door then they've sold you. I expect there will be a hair of car dealership feel, "What do we have to do to get you to buy one of our skates today?"

Their hope and expectation is that they will be able to provide such a good experience with fitting and trying that once they've got you in the door then they've sold you. I expect there will be a hair of car dealership feel, "What do we have to do to get you to buy one of our skates today?"

We will throw in a set of "all weather" soakers :wink:

Heh, yea that sounds about right.

Wow, people certainly are cynical. It's one store, one, and people are acting like its the end of the world. FWIW, every store is in business to make money, don't fault Bauer for the doing the same.

I don't think they'll have the impact everyone thinks they will.

For me, it's just another option. I stopped being loyal when PureHockey got bought out. I shop at three stores, this makes it four. Since I can only get Bauer gear there, I doubt it becomes my primary location.

I am a retail shop owner, and while I may be cynical, I am not stupid. Bauer answers to shareholders, who want a higher return on their investment. If one store has success, there will be more. They didn't open these stores to make you the customer happy, they opened these stores to make their pocketbooks happy. As a retailer, this store, and any that follow are just one big middle finger from Bauer.

My greatest fear is that this retail experience has short term success and puts a good, reputable shop out of business, then closes it's doors in five years after the concept fails.

Not to mention Bauer and its Reps are becoming more and more of a PITA to work with. CCM has my business right now because CCM and its reps treat us wonderfully (and actually give us the time of day)

Amen, well said. Sure, the average retail shopper thinks it's neat to walk in the Bauer store and see a lot of stuff, but Bauer is burning bridges with a lot of great First Line, LOYAL dealers. They better be prepared to make one hell of an apology if these retail experiences go pear-shaped. As soon as one of these stores affect the dollar signs at one of the big online chains, we will see how long of a life span they have.

I can't wait till that average retail shopper who is wowed by the "experience" and the free balloons and other gimmicks likes it when they have to drive 45 minutes to get their skates sharpened because all the local stores were driven out of business. What's bauer going to do hire, more teens to sharpen skates like Monkey does?

Speaking of OTM services, how much do they charge for sharpening skates? Extra charge for goalie skates? How much for 1st time sharpening for skates bought online and brought in to be sharpened? Finally, how much for baking skates bought online and brought in for baking? How does their pricing on these services compare to Boston area shops? Just curious, thanks.

It’s $8 for a Blackstone FBV, which is on par with what I am used to paying.
I can't wait till that average retail shopper who is wowed by the "experience" and the free balloons and other gimmicks likes it when they have to drive 45 minutes to get their skates sharpened because all the local stores were driven out of business. What's bauer going to do hire, more teens to sharpen skates like Monkey does?

In short, no. They got the right guy for the job. I trust him.

Thinking about making the switch from RBK skates to Bauer's. 

Would this store be a good place to demo? I'd rather demo there and buy from my LHS.

That should be fine right? I'm guessing the store is more about branding and advertising rather than actual sales there???

10 minutes ago, thehomez said:

Would this store be a good place to demo? I'd rather demo there and buy from my LHS.

That should be fine right? I'm guessing the store is more about branding and advertising rather than actual sales there???

Bauer claims that's what the stores should encourage :unsure: Right

The staff there was very knowledgeable and I had the opportunity to demo a lot of stuff when it was clear I wasn't going to be able to buy (intercontinental flight with horrible extra luggage pricing). So if you ask politely I'm sure they will give you the chance to try skates & sticks even if they won't make a sale that day.