Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

walkerdb7

Brian's C/A

Looking to buy a new C/A. Will either be the new Premier or a Brian's. I'm coming from a Koho 590.

Questions:

1. Is the SZ or GNetik the more "bulletproof" of the two units?

2. For Brian's C/A is the GNetik 2 or SZ3 due out this fall?

I'd go Premier over Brian's (as a Brian's fanboy). But if you want the best either go Passau or Brown. I just ordered my new Passau :)

If you have the 590 and like it, you may be best off with the new Premier as it will be the closest to what you know.

With that being said,

1. I haven't ever heard of either having problems with protection. They are both bulletproof and mobile (unlike some other manufacturers who have a "tank" unit and a "mobile" unit). The only difference between the two is the shape and fit. The SZ is more round and the Gnetik is more square. Without having both to try on and compare, I'd say the Subzero is closer to a 590 or Premier in terms of shape and fit.

2. I'm almost positive that the protective is a year behind the pads. So this fall you will have the SZ3 pads and the Gnetik2 c/a. There's a SZ2 c/a already, but no Gnetik2 so it would seem to be what is due next.

There is already a Gnetik 2 chest. It is the exact same as the Gnetik 1 chest but with "II" added to the end of the word mark.

Where have you seen one? I don't see that anywhere. The Brian's website lists the original Gnetik c/a under the Gnetik 2 collection, but it's still just the 1.

Goalie Monkey, Goalie Crease, Total Goalie, three of the biggest Brian's retailers, all only list the Gnetik 1.

Awesome feedback sulion

I work in manufacturing and prefer to support companies who manufacture in developed countries when I can. That's why I'm looking Brian's.

I tried on Vaughn at my local total hockey and hated both models. I was disappointed because I thought Vaughn had a reputation for building a good unit. My main issue is the side pad. It cuts too low around the ribs and I felt exposed. The Premier, expectedly because of my old unit, felt great.

They are bringing in an SZ2 for me to try on and I'm hoping that works for me. If not, I'll be supporting China! Other than the country of origin, my only complaint on the premier was weight. It's not heavy, but it is heavier than the P1 style. It's odd to me a next gen pad weighs more than the predecessor.

Is there any difference between the SZ1 and SZ2 other than looks?

I think there were some minor changes. They changed the shape of the floaters a little. I think they changed some of the material composition and protection configuration - modified the rib protection and the arm floaters and cuff. But it's not a completely different unit.

btw - from Chris at Brian's, the SZ3 c/a will be available early 2016. Still waiting on word of the Gnetik2 and any differences it might have.

Brians' didn't change anything between the Gnetik 1 and 2 besides the logo so no website updated their images accordingly. I know this because I was going to buy a fully custom set with crazy colours until I was told by 2 stores that the only difference is the logo.

I had to dig for this but found what you can see being the new logo with the "II" at the end of "Pro" on the elbow floater. It is tough but you can see a difference in the font and I really don't feel like going to a store and taking a photo of it.

Gnetik 1

brians-goalie-chest-protector-gnetik-pro

brians-goalie-chest-protector-gnetik-pro

Gnetik 2

10421566_10153065398258250_3147005970120

That is actually why I was asking about when a new unit was going to be released

I was under the impression that Brian's does not drastically change their unit and I found a SZ1 in my size at Peranis for a very good price...

Also from Chris at Brian's, the Gnetik is a carryover model.

So you are right, if it says Gnetik Pro II, it's just a label change. The floater shape does look a little different too. But that is on the Goalie Crease site, and they have special spec gear made just for them - like that retro unit you posted. So I wonder if they are the only ones that have a Pro II label on their c/as.

They aren't. The shoulders are the same it is just how the chest is propped up in the Goalie Creases version, the retro is just custom colours which any person can get.

Every store I have been to that has the Gnetik has the II at the end of the name. So far I have seen the II at 5 different stores across Ontario and the US.

That's the problem with living in Florida! I don't think I even have 5 different stores to go into! lol I only have online places, and we know that they aren't always accurate.

I'd go Premier over Brian's (as a Brian's fanboy). But if you want the best either go Passau or Brown. I just ordered my new Passau :)

How do you like the Passau and what off the shelf CA does it fit most like?

The Passau is a Vaughn Epic 8800 clone. It's more protective and better made.

But it's really not that different. Honestly, I don't get the love for Passau. My friend has a custom Passau Pro c/a that cost nearly $700, I believe. He gets stingers all the time. I was excited to see it when he got it because I heard all of the good things. I was really disappointed with it. I had a 8800, and the Passau was the same thing. He's getting stingers in the same places as I did. Imo, it's one of the biggest wastes of money out there. I'd buy the Premier or either Brian's unit (or even another Ritual or the new carbon reinforced Vaughn) before i spent that kind of money on a Passau.

Sorry to burst your bubble, OR. It's just my opinion after getting my hands on one. A lot of people love them so maybe I'm the outlier.

The Passau is a Vaughn Epic 8800 clone. It's more protective and better made.

But it's really not that different. Honestly, I don't get the love for Passau. My friend has a custom Passau Pro c/a that cost nearly $700, I believe. He gets stingers all the time. I was excited to see it when he got it because I heard all of the good things. I was really disappointed with it. I had a 8800, and the Passau was the same thing. He's getting stingers in the same places as I did. Imo, it's one of the biggest wastes of money out there. I'd buy the Premier or either Brian's unit (or even another Ritual or the new carbon reinforced Vaughn) before i spent that kind of money on a Passau.

Sorry to burst your bubble, OR. It's just my opinion after getting my hands on one. A lot of people love them so maybe I'm the outlier.

Those carbon reinforced chests have pathetically thin stock arms where my local store won't sell the stock version anymore because it is far too thin and they had too many complains.

Those carbon reinforced chests have pathetically thin stock arms where my local store won't sell the stock version anymore because it is far too thin and they had too many complains.

So they haven't even changed them from the 8800's then, except for adding carbon plates? That was the problem with the 8800, really thin arms and shoulders. Even the "beefed" version only brought it to on par with other stock units.

I think C/As are the most personal piece of gear? I'm shocked anyone likes a Vaughn and they're a top seller

I agree with you. I've never seen a piece of Vaughn gear, any piece, that I was impressed with. I have no idea why so many people like it.

Hah! I actually just saw their cup at Total Hockey and thought it was a great unit

Hah! I actually just saw their cup at Total Hockey and thought it was a great unit

I had the old double cup. It was ok. Protection was good, but it was very bulky and rigid. Might be the best piece from them I've seen. But the Bauer Supreme and Warrior are both better than the Vaughn now.

The Velo 6 isn't a double cup? It looks exactly the same as my old one did. You couldn't bend at all in it. Even tying your skates was a problem. The abdominal pad was so big and inflexible.

The Bauer and Warrior aren't doubles either. The Bauer is a regular with an air bladder. That's what I use and it's really comfortable and can take bombs. The Warrior is a cup and outer soft foam "shield" that gets really good reviews also.

I heard the warrior fit weird in pants? Of anything I've seen, it looks like a tank

I still have a Koho 500 pro and keep thinking it's due for an upgrade...

Sulion, what do you like for a neck guard / bib?

I use the Reebok shirt now and was thinking that might need to be replaced depending how it fits with my new C/A