Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

walkerdb7

Brian's C/A

All This is Tim McCarthy. I am the head of online sales and marketing for Passau Hockey. I'd like to address the statement that "The Passau is a Vaughn Epic 8800 clone." I'm sure that even our friends at Vaughn Custom Sports would agree that this statement is grossly on accurate many levels. Vaughn makes great products, so the very abbreviated list below is meant only to draw distinctions, not to say that our product is superior per se (I'm not in the business of bashing other companies). The immediate and obvious differences between our chest protectors and the 8800 are:

Arm construction - The forearm and bicep protection on our chest protector is a solid piece, not segmented. Our extra wide elbows are incased completely and use airknit mesh to help reduce weight. The wrist areas have a nash lining and nylon buckle (versus the nylon hook on Vaughn). The overall coverage of our arms are meant to wrap around the arm more fully.
Shoulders - We use a unique floater and cup system for our shoulder area and offer 8 different custom shoulder profiles for our customers which are highly adjustable. We keep extra space between the floater and the torso for added impact protection
Neckline - The height of the entire unit can be adjusted with 2 small Velcro tabs that can be moved up and down. The adjustability is recognized throughout the industry as among the easiest and most significant.
Sizing - We size our arms and torsos completely independently. So when you get a Passau chest protector we take multiple measurments (like getting a custom suit) and produce the unit with X sized torso and Y sized arms.
Rib Attachment - We use a wide elastic and Velcro system versus Vaughns elastic and buckle system.
Options - In addition to the above, we offer multiple options including (but not limited to) custom colors, additional protection in select areas or multiple beef up levels throughout the entire unit, name embroidery on back plate, team logo embroidery, tempered foam or Maltese gel heart guards.

Our units are full custom for each individual client. Everything we make is made in Canada and pro grade; Stingers are exceedingly rare. In our 1st gen unit, a small percentage of customers complained of some stingers in the inner biceps and wrists, which is why we completely redesigned for the 2nd gen. Our Pro Pack version has literally been tested with Shea Weber slapshots and with stood these tests without issue. In addition, our prices are very competitive at $500 to $700 CAD depending on options. We stand behind our products completely before and well after the sale. If someone is having an issue, we want to hear about it so we can resolve it for the client and use this data for future iterations.

Tim McCarthy
Passau Hockey

Hi Tim, thanks for your reply and it's cool that you participate on the forum

One side note, I think sometimes as customers we use "clone" to freely and maybe "style" would be a better word choice?

Although there are clearly some differences between your unit and the Vaughn, I think the point was that your unit is more similar to an Epic / Ventus unit than it is a Velocity or P1. Without having had seen your unit before, I was asking the question to get some bearing of what it is similar to.

Hi Tim, thanks for your reply and it's cool that you participate on the forum

One side note, I think sometimes as customers we use "clone" to freely and maybe "style" would be a better word choice?

Although there are clearly some differences between your unit and the Vaughn, I think the point was that your unit is more similar to an Epic / Ventus unit than it is a Velocity or P1. Without having had seen your unit before, I was asking the question to get some bearing of what it is similar

Understood. And if people are strictly speaking asthetics, then I may be able to see their point. But from a true design perspective, they're very different. Most people, myself included, feel that our Gen 2 chest protectors are similar to P1 in terms of protection with better mobility in the arms. But as I mentioned, all of our gear is bespoke so it will ultimately be built to meet the client's specific needs in terms of padding, sizing, colors, options, etc.

I tried on the Brian's today. Loved the build of the unit and the Xstatic material on the inside, but it didn't have the rib protection that is standard on the CCM. I think I will be a premier guy

What part of rib protection are you talking about? When I tried on the Gnetik I thought it had great coverage on the sides of my body.

The premier (and older Koho / Reebok) models before it come right up to your armpit basically. I tried on the SZ and the rib protection did not go as high as the Premier. It was leaps and bounds above the Vaughn units though

Interesting as I have a Koho 700 (which is a copy of the 590/Reebok P1) and the rib protection is ridiculously lacking.

Does the Sub have height adjustments? I found the rib protection in my Ritual to not fit right. But it is ridiculously adjustable, so I was able to get everything to be where it should.

Hills - define lacking? I'm not commenting on the type of the padding, but more the cut / height of the pad?

PSul - There was some adjustment, but I didn't go nuts with it on the store. That is a valid point I completely overlooked

Well, in that case the padding is non-existent below my armpit but there is a thin flap of material there.

Well, after speaking with TGC, I ordered the GNetik. I'm excited and a bit nervous at the time! Can't wait to try it on.

It appears the GNetik is cut slightly higher in the ribs than the SZ, so I am hoping it's the perfect blend. . .

I almost ordered a custom with the taller rib padding, but it was a 3 month wait!