Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

taz_g

Lace bite problems again, please help.

Hey guys, I´m having lace bite problems again, I thought that with the new skates (alkali rpd team ), the problem would be solved, but unfortunately it´s not, Im using gel pads, bandages, and changed the lacing pattern, but still my tendon hurts after each game, and cannot play more than once , maybe twice a week . It seems that y ankle/tendon is just too big for the boot, here are some pics of the pencil test

IMG_20150827_112258481.jpgIMG_20150827_112157762.jpgIMG_20150827_112229675.jpg

Those were took sitting with all the weels on te floor and my leg straigt, If I flex, things get worse

IMG_20150827_112542393.jpg

I bought the alkalis after reading some posts and some recomendations, I think the skate size is ok , my thumb rub the cup if stand straight, or with the skates unlaced, and dont while in hockey stance, They could be 1/2 size bigger (wich is weird cos acording to the chart I should be using an 8 size, and these are 8.5) but I´m not sure it will help that much, actually I have a pair of bauers that are 2 sizes bigger and they still hurt, the only advantage is that the have one more eyelet on the top, and that helps aliviating the preassure in the lower ones, but its really hard to skate with them , the boot is too loose, This is how they fit :

IMG_20150827_114200926.jpgIMG_20150827_114210764.jpg

I thought of buying 1/2 size bigger alakalis, but not sure if that will add that much volume to the boot, . Mission boot seems similar to alkali´s no sure if it´ll help ... Is there any other brand with a deeper boot ? , unfortunately theres no real hockey store where I live, only skate shops that just have a few bauer and mission models and ussually not all sizes, so I cannot go and try.

Any other Ideas ? I´d really apreciate your coments

Thanks !

Those boots don't look deep enough. It depends how much money you're willing to spend on the problem. Probably the best but most expensive route would be custom boots. But there are cheaper things you can try first.

The first thing you can try is to create a channel for the tendon and redistribute the pressure of the tongue. Get some closed cell foam weatherstripping tape and place it on either side of where the tendon touches the tongue like in this picture:

bite.jpg

You can also try lacing your skates out-to-in on at least the 3 or 4 top eyelets.

Rbk or CCM boots are the deepest, if you want to try a new boot. Otherwise a custom boot is the only other answer if you want a boot that fits you properly. To fix your current problem with the boots you have you need padding around the tendon, gel pads don't really help long term as the pressure is still there on the tendon, here are some options:

- glue another tongue onto the boot

- option B laces

- Flex 55 extensions

- forsberg pads

I use forsberg pads - cheap, easy to make and work long term.

Thanks for your replies ! the forsberg pads look pretty much the same concept as Larry posted, i´ll probably try that, Option B might work , but what really got my attention is the extensions, looks like that will add more volume to the boot, so if that works no other pad or lace change would be required, and it will give more forward flex than putting a pad in the current boot, which sounds great cos my tendon usually hurt more when skating backwards as you need a lot of flex there. I searched the forums an there a couple of good experiences , so I´m going to give that a try.

Thanks again ! its been very helpful !!

As Larry54 said, try lacing outside then in. This method of tying my skates have made a difference in the way my skates fit. I've purchased over 12 pair of different manufacturer boots (Bauer, CCM, RBK, Mission and Alakali) in the past 7 years, have done conversions from Ice to Roller. I've also purchased extra tongues, Bunga pads and G-Form Lace Bite pads. Although the extra tongues were good they began to break down and form the crease that would eventually create the pressure point which in turn begins the lace bite again. The G-Form pads are great but I've lost 2 pair (4 gel pads) in my travels, they do have a sticky/tacky surface that are made to stick to the felt side of tongue but at least in my case have fallen off in my bag and just disappear. Best purchase that I've had now for over 8 years are the Bunga Pads, the gel is intact and the shelve material is still in excellent condition (considering the years of use).

I got a great deal for Alakali skates and went my traditional lacing style (inside out) had issues with lace bite, but once I've changed the lacing style to outside in; there have been no issues. I don't even need to use my Bunga pads although I do prefer to use them as I like to have the extra protection/comfort when digging extra deep in my strides. Before buying the extension, really give the lacing style a try and see how that feels, you may be able to save yourself some money that could go into other needs.

Note: I've never been able to pass the pencil test, even with the Alakali skates I'm in now.