Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

907rx7

Leg Pad modifications/add-ons

So I don't know how to phrase this without saying I'm getting lazy but I'm tired of how long it take to put my leg pads on. I wear TPS Summit pads I've owned since 2009 and I love them even though they are second hand and too big for me. It started with 6 leather staps, then I stripped it down to 4. Now I overhaulling them with the following.

1. New Elastic where needed

2. Converting to quick release buckles like some youth pads

3. Diagonal strapping below the knee

4. Get rid of toe ties

So here is where I'm at. I'm still trying to fine tune the toe strapping system. Any suggestions or advise on this while it is still a work in progress?20151011_175514_zpsna3os0su.jpg20151011_175819_zps8sicktiu.jpg20151011_180155_zpssizltral.jpg20151011_180227_zpsxpogl59o.jpg

Move to the Brian's Smart Toe Ties. They're amazing.

I've been considering those, have you had any issues with the velcro coming unhooked while playing? That is the only negative I have heard but then again I can always add more velcro if it is needed.

I tape my Brian's Smart Toe Ties down. Yes, it negates the quick aspect, but it also prevents the potential for the straps to come loose (as mine have during a game). I have often thought of re-engineering mine to use quick release buckles or something else. I actually like these for the fact that they re-centre so nicely and are excellent for when using no boot strap. I can seal the bottom of the post in a more natural foot position (I have the flexibility of a 50 year old oak tree) and the pad snaps back quickly. I am also fine with the fact that I will replace these probably once per year. I ended up cutting one with a skate. Yes, laces are cheaper, but these are worth it for me.

If that is a sliding toe bridge, the smart toe system WILL NOT WORK. Trust me- I tried that.

I tried the no toe tie thing. At least on my Vortek pads, it really didn't work for me. But ridding myself of the boot strap changed my life.

Never had an issue with mine coming undone. And yes if you're using sliding toe bridges you'll need to replace them with regular bridges.

Is that JoAnn Fabrics elastic?

I think you will be disappointed with long-term durability/stretch with that stuff.

If its better quality stuff, please disregard.

It is JoAnn Fabrics elastic, I've used it with football gear before without issue, but I mainly got it because it is cheap for experimenting with different setups. Once it gives it will be replaced, any suggestions on a high grade elastic?

I tape my Brian's Smart Toe Ties down. Yes, it negates the quick aspect, but it also prevents the potential for the straps to come loose (as mine have during a game). I have often thought of re-engineering mine to use quick release buckles or something else. I actually like these for the fact that they re-centre so nicely and are excellent for when using no boot strap. I can seal the bottom of the post in a more natural foot position (I have the flexibility of a 50 year old oak tree) and the pad snaps back quickly. I am also fine with the fact that I will replace these probably once per year. I ended up cutting one with a skate. Yes, laces are cheaper, but these are worth it for me.

If that is a sliding toe bridge, the smart toe system WILL NOT WORK. Trust me- I tried that.

I tried the no toe tie thing. At least on my Vortek pads, it really didn't work for me. But ridding myself of the boot strap changed my life.

Never had an issue with mine coming undone. And yes if you're using sliding toe bridges you'll need to replace them with regular bridges.

It is a sliding toe bridge, I'll probably replace it when that elactic gives up the ghost. I also run my toe bridge backwards, I always have. It compensates for the oversize pads by putting them lower to the ice and more out in front of my skates.

It is JoAnn Fabrics elastic, I've used it with football gear before without issue, but I mainly got it because it is cheap for experimenting with different setups. Once it gives it will be replaced, any suggestions on a high grade elastic?

I get a lot of my specialty stuff from RCT:

https://www.fabricline.com/searchResults.php?CATTYPEDDM=NO053

So I skated with this setup last night, still needs some fine tuning but overall I loved it. I had my right leg pad fully converted and my left leg pad mostly but I left the toe tie and boot strap intact. The new set up felt way better. I think the only thing I'm going to change is add an additional 3 inch elastic strap at the top of my calf wrap. At times I felt a little too "free".

Also attaching the elastic to my skate so it only pulls to the outside of my leg pad seemed to do the trick in correcting the "outward roll" my leg pads used to have when standing after a butterfly. Now they return to their proper forward facing position quite nicely.