Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mimizk

Anybody knows a sharpening machine like this?

w5Volc4.jpg

I've found a nice sharpening machine on this video.
This video was took by Quikblade and they use this machine for contouring/profiling of the blades. So I don't know really this machine is sharpener or not. Perhaps this is just a contouring machine and can't sharpen edges.

I've been own SPB850 for home sharpening. Contouring my blades at near shop.
Currently we can choose a sharpening machine which have an ability to sharpen with no profiling changing, for example Sparcx. It's so good but I like analog machine.
It's hard to provide such this service on local shops that to make metal molds for everyone. But just for me... I don't want to break contoured shape.

Can I find such this machine on current market?

w5Volc4.jpg

My work used to own one of these machines before they "upgraded" us to a hand-me-down Blademaster BR903XF. The machine picture above is pretty old (ours was 20-30+ years old) and the model is no longer in production. From experience, this thing was a pile of crap. Very difficult to get a straight cut because the mounting system was kinked, ours didn't have the tracer wheel as in the video, and the wheel had some movement left-to-right. Ours was primarily used for sharpening rental skates and not personal use ones. This machine is a sharpener that is being used for contouring.

Fm... I had thought as so too that perhaps it loses accuracy to sharpen. The same thing can be said for old hinge move type sharpener like Fleming Gray.

I'm still thinking an ideal home use sharpener for me. I want to sharpen with original metal profiling bar.

And I remembered this. This is Dupliskate.

I can't stop dropping tears for that this machine's assessment :facepalm:

Then I conceived an idea to sharpen with personal profile bar on traditional sharpening machines. I will try it.

That sharpener shown in the photo is a QUICKblade unit. it's an older model, for sure. They can do a decent job of profiling steels. However, they are a POOR choice for actually 'sharpening' skates.

If you watch the video, you will see the operator passing the machine in two (2) directions over the steel. Front to rear.....and rear to front.....REPEATEDLY !!! This is NOT the way to sharpen skates. Skates should pass over a grinding wheel in ONE (1) direction only. That direction should be 'with' the rotating direction of the rotating grinding wheel......not against the direction of the rotation.

I 'shudder' when I see the amount of SPARK (steel) flying off of skate sharpening demonstration, or instructional videos, or watching most 'Skate Techs' working on skates.

In many instances, 'high tech' machines are NOT the answer. In Canada there is a HUGE retail store that specializes ONLY in hockey. A store opened up in my city this summer. Their stores ALL across Canada use a completely 'automatic', very expensive, profile machine (made in Sweden) that does NOT require the operator to touch the machine once they load the skate into the machine and set the profile and pitch. Sounds wonderful !!!

So, why do I get calls every week from competitive hockey players to 'FIX' the profiles on their skates when they can't skate worth a damn after having this new store do profiles on skates bought at that store. MOST of the problems I see are that the steels have a 'reverse' pitch. AMAZING that this specialty store, with very expensive, state of the art equipment can't perform this procedure correctly.

I have seen very few persons who buy their own 'machines' who can sharpen their own skates with success It sounds like a GREAT idea. Money saving and certainly convenient. However, unless a hockey family lives miles and miles from a sharpening service, or the service in your area is totally incompetent, the family is in most cases, better off not sharpening their own skates.

In my opinion, the OLD Fleming Gray 'swing arm' sharpeners (made in the 1960's-1970's) are STILL among the best machines out there. That includes the three (3) headed, Blademaster and Blackstone table top machines that retail for over $20,000 for a new unit.

There is nothing 'smoother' than a properly maintained Fleming Gray 'swing arm. The 'feel' when working one of these 'antiques' (LOL) is FAR superior to using table top units. Of course, 90% of people out there sharpening skates have never seen one of these FINE machines, let alone worked with one.

I use two (2) of these old units (B-3.....with cam dressers) in my skate shop, along with my Blademaster machine. I have tried and used various models of the machines of six (6) manufacturers over the past 40 years and will NEVER sell the old Fleming Gray machines !!!

I've seen the Fleming Grey (well maintained) and one of Sid's machines side by side. Not much between them but I'd prefer Sid's set up, hard to justify other than personal preference and feel.

Point here is either of these machines, imho, in the hands of a competent person consistently produce better results than these so called newer "better" automated machines will give.

In one of my local shop, Fleming Gray's swing arm sharpener was used until about 10 years ago, I think. And the sharpener's condition was bad. Its hinge was little worn away, so my sharpened skate edges were leaned at back area. When I had used the shop, I was about 15 and not well known about sharpening. The shop manager often used blade straightener when I ask him about the leaned sharpening mark. But now I can understand. It was caused by hinge wear or his sharpening skill miss for example as perhaps he applied his weight so the swing arm little dropped down.

But for another reason, I don't/can't choose swing arm sharpener. Or Sparx either. I've been using FBV sharpening. Its dressing needs tabel top. Sparx have a few spinners of FBV but not perfect.

20151024130615_001.jpg

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this type of sharpener. I sold mine in 2003, it was a 1985 DSS-E1 machine and it sharpened and radiused perfectly in manual mode. Don't judge the machine, rather the sharpener. Doesn't matter what brand machine, a bad sharpener will do a bad job regardless, and an old worn out machine will sharpen poorly as well. This is why it's very important to maintain a machine over the years. In addition there is nothing wrong with sharpening in a back and forth motion if the sharpener knows what they are doing. Going against the wheel rotation can take off more steel if not done properly, but if done right, perfect results can be obtained. On some runners, a more aggressive grind might be needed. I've seen a lot of heel to toe method type of sharpening really mess up a runner as well. It's bad technique, not the machine. Lastly there is also nothing wrong with Swedish Profilers. They do the exact job they are intended to do, put a flat spot at a point along the blade. They do not indiscriminately put a reverse pitch on a runner, if they do, it's operator error, not the machine. There are many skaters who prefer the CAG type radius to conventional template radius.

Totally agree. Operator training on new and old machines is very important. Everyone has their own methods and hopefully has developed their own standardized operating procedure. Maintaining all moving parts of machines is a must.

Using any skate work equipment requires proper training. The most expensive, automated machines out there are useless in the hands of a poorly trained operator. The skater's performance and SAFETY is in the hands of the 'Skate Tech' every time those skates are touched.