Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bunnyman666

Why retro tan may not be a great idea for pads

I took a look at some two year old Vaughn pads in retro tan. This is that Brian's style "bucky" type of material, also known as matte, definitely not the shiny Jenpro that wears well. The backing shows through on high wear areas. Despite needing some work, I fell in love with these and will be restoring these.

Your best bet is if you are considering retro tan matte material, you need to spec black robocop for the trim areas around the boot and the top of the pad. I would also inquire about black smooth or robocop on the knee and shin flaps, as well as request some black robocop on the boot where it touches the ice. The binding on the ice side of the pad is also worn abnormally, which I attribute to cheap binding material.

I may even patch the boot area with genuine leather. Whatever doesn't get replaced or patched will get Sno-Seal and will hopefully wear a bit more gracefully.

Factory Mad has a much better retro tan, but Dennis doesn't feel particularly good about using it on any areas that contact the ice. After seeing what happens to "bucky" type of material, I see why Dennis isn't keen on using it in high wear areas.

I will link my Instagram (if allowed by mods) to get pix of this new project.

I don't disagree, Hills.

Duh- just re-read your post. I depends on whether or not your builder has California Tan. If they do, then get that. Apparently, California Tan is not all that easy for the small builder to get. It's all down to availability.

Some people who really like the matte material (Brian's does it in both tan and black) would be bitterly disappointed with it is what I'm trying to say.

Brian's does matte in a bunch of colours, off the top of my head red, white, black, grey, blue, navy and brown.

The California Tan that Vaughn uses is bad, but it isn't bucky. I have a feeling the one you saw was California Tan. The retro Tan CCM and Simmons uses is much nicer and I believe more durable than the Cal Tan and Bucky that Vaughn and Brian's use respectively.

This set of Vaughns uses the same "bucky" matte material. It's totally different than the tan shiny jenpro I have normally seen. This is on a set of senior Vaughns. Like I said- it has worn through on certain parts. I think it is fine for anything that isn't suuposed to slide.

I think I have made my decision on what colour my first set of custom pads is going to be, and it isn't going to be the tan unless I get Simmons. I will just get a set of plain black with black robocop in the high wear areas.