Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

balfrob

Reebok 24K stick extension - crackling sound

Hey Guys!
I've recently bought a new stick, but as I'm 6' 7'' I needed to extend it. I've got a wooden extension which had this glue on it, that you heat up and put it in. The problem is that the extension was too thin or the shaft was too wide, it doesn't matter, so it couldn't be used this way. I taped the extension aroudn twice and then heated up the shaft and kinda forced the extension inside. It needed some pounding and repeated heating to get it in, but I managed and this way it seemed to be holding tightly even without glue. And now my concern: The next day I have noticed that whenever I hold the stick by the extension and put some kind of stress on that part, trying to pull it to the sides or sometimes when flexing the stick it makes this crackling sound around the part where the extension is filling the shaft and I am affraid that the shaft would crack. I'm also not sure that the extension doesn't move a bit. I cannot feel any movement when playing with it or holding it, but if I look very closely and try to move it, then it seems like it is moving but only extremely little and also it seems that this is when it makes this sound. So basically the question is. Do you think there is a high risk of breaking or cracking the shaft this way? Should I take it out, use less tape and rather put it back with some glue?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Rob

I've had to do the same several times with Easton stick ends (all my local sells) as they were too narrow for my Warrior and ccm sticks. I only use one layer of tape though. One up one side, one up the other... If that makes sense? A little bit of glue from there and I haven't had any issues from there.

Thanks for all the replies!

@dkmiller3356 - i didn't use any glue after all, but one of my guesses was also the tape inside making the sound. i think that some of the sticky side got revealed by forcing the extension in and it might be the tape sticking and unsticking from the side of the shaft making the sound - even tho that is my least probable guess

@Hockeylifestyle - i was asking about this at the store. they said it should be fine with the wooden extension as well, even tho i would be happier with a composite, but they didn't have any...

I have a wooden extension in my Mako II (6'7" here, too) and it doesn't make any cracking or creaking noises. I just have the cheap A&R plug, didn't need any tape on it to get it to fit.

Pull the extension out and remove a layer of tape and re-do it. Rattle any loose glue out.

Aren't you only supposed to use composite score extensions with composite sticks? I think it moves with the stick to put less pressure on it

You can put a wood extension in a composite stick with no problems, a composite extension would just be lighter.

I have a wooden extension in my Mako II (6'7" here, too) and it doesn't make any cracking or creaking noises. I just have the cheap A&R plug, didn't need any tape on it to get it to fit.

Pull the extension out and remove a layer of tape and re-do it. Rattle any loose glue out.

yeah, I think this is what I will do. Thanks a lot!

I thought I would give you guys a little update, maybe somebody finds this useful in the future. I was just about to take out the extension to remove a layer of tape, but i was like well let's see one more time if it still makes the sound, aaand it's gone. It doesn't do it anymore. So summed up after a week and three games it doesn't crackle anymore, so I guess I'm leaving it this way for now and see what happens next. If I break it within the next two weeks becaue of this I will update the topic :D