Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatestAmericanBeardo

Why Are Sticks at places like Modell's SO much cheaper then online?

ok, so i've been off the ice for a number of years now. At the time i DID play i didn't have a whole lot of cash to go for and buy a $200 toothpick to have it cracked in half. So now i'm getting back into the game, and still need to on a budget for equipment so i can afford ice time, and the occasional bottle of bourbon. so why am i looking at $60 dollar sticks at Brick and Mortar "sports stores"? i assume these are just poorly made sticks as well, but at least i get to hold it in my hands first... Places like HockeyMonkey seem to start at 60 for a stick that gets crap reviews.

...heres the long and the short of it, help me buy GOOD equipment at decent prices

GAB

Models and similar type sports stores are selling special made up sticks for their store. They are not the same as regular retail sticks, usually low, low end sticks.

Jimmy is correct. At retail general sporting goods stores they usually only carry low end sticks, whereas monkey etc. carry all levels as they specialize in hockey. Your are going to find it easier to get good bang for your buck buying close out sticks at hockey specific retailers than you ever will find in a big box store, as those rarely have discounts on their hockey gear and tend not to rotate stock out as quickly, given that hockey is such a small percentage of their bottom line

thanks guys! so where to i go to actually try a quality stick without dropping a ton of cash on something i'll just leave in my garage? i feel like local pro shops will just rip me off, to cover their overhead. maybe i need to take the hour drive out to the brick and mortar HockeyMonkey in Central NJ :/

Talk to the guys you play with. Ask them what they like and don't like about the sticks they are using. Ask them if you can try their sticks or old sticks in warmups. I work in a local pro shop. Ask some questions and you will probably get more info than at the big box hockey stores in NJ.

DarkStar, pretty sure i live right near your pro shop and may just have to pay you a visit. guess i'm just a little intimidated by the local pro shop guys. stems back to the record store days when the "cool guy" at the counter would ask why i would be buying THAT record. and all he had going for him was a separate entrance to his mom's basement

I live about 45 mins away from the new Hockey Giant in Norristown, PA and I'd definitely recommend the drive to see and physically hold the products you're considering. Both times I've been there I've went in looking for one specific product and left with something different because it felt better. Anything other than sharpenings and profile work (those I go to my small LHS for)...I make the 45 minute drive. Just my two cents.

To go on what NickC said, going to a store is so much better. I don't know where you live, but the HockeyGiant right next to the Cherry Hill Mall is HUGE. The first time I walked in there, I was completely overwhelmed. One of HockeyGiant's distribution centers are in Cherry Hill, so they pretty much have every stick, curve, flex etc you can think of. I haven't been to the Norristown store, but if Cherry Hill is somewhat close to you, I highly, highly recommend a trip.

thanks guys! so where to i go to actually try a quality stick without dropping a ton of cash on something i'll just leave in my garage? i feel like local pro shops will just rip me off, to cover their overhead. maybe i need to take the hour drive out to the brick and mortar HockeyMonkey in Central NJ :/

Most local shops do not rip customers off, in fact most have pricing same as the online stores. Our prices have been same as the online stores for 10+ years, in fact we have dozens of models in our store right now that are less than the Monkey store next town over. Also, do you have a problem with stores having to set prices to cover their overhead? You do know it costs more to run a retail showroom than a online warehouse, quite a bit more. Sorry, that's not ripping people off, it's called business.

Most local shops do not rip customers off, in fact most have pricing same as the online stores. Our prices have been same as the online stores for 10+ years, in fact we have dozens of models in our store right now that are less than the Monkey store next town over. Also, do you have a problem with stores having to set prices to cover their overhead? You do know it costs more to run a retail showroom than a online warehouse, quite a bit more. Sorry, that's not ripping people off, it's called business.

relax Jimmy, i've been out of Hockey for a long time now and finally getting the time to get back onto the ice. back when i was playing, the shade dude who ran the pro shop at my now demolished rink (Low Tor, Haverstraw NY) was all about making a buck, and maybe not the right way. there were several times i would buy sticks from them and before the first period was over, it would snap in half. i'm a Wrister, Backhand, toe drag shooter. my slapper was and is s**t. ...so i started going to smaller mom and pop places, one being a small sports shop across the street from my father's butcher shop. back then, i remember my pop bartering steaks for sticks. it wasn't all about the $$ with this guy nor was it for my father. he wanted to make a living, and my dad wanted to see me on the ice. and not they're BOTH out of business because the BIG store came in and cut the customer base (the kicker, places like Fairway and other artisanal shops are doing EXACTLY what my father was doing 35 years ago) oh boy, now you've got me monolog-ing

that said, i work in corporate retail, (because HEY i have to make a living too) i know all too well the ins and outs of a business running a 1000 locations in No. America and abroad. i like helping the little guy out any time i can. i grew up in a small shop, cutting me teeth making deals with the customers and giving them the best deal i possible could. i just wanted some insight into the new equipment and who shops where and why.

see you on the ice,

GAB

OH! and thanks to DarkStar50 for helping me out the other night at the Ice House Pro Shop. i'll be in again soon

Talk to the guys you play with. Ask them what they like and don't like about the sticks they are using. Ask them if you can try their sticks or old sticks in warmups. I work in a local pro shop. Ask some questions and you will probably get more info than at the big box hockey stores in NJ.

isn't asking to use someone else's stick like asking to use there driver? i asked a buddy of mine while out on the linx once to try his driver, he replied, "that's like asking to borrow my wife!! and i rather that"

Puck handling, toss a few passes and maybe a wrister / snap shot or 2 (depends how well you know the owner) is generally fine when trying someone else's stick. Hammering the crap out of it with slappers or scrimmaging, playing or any chance of stick contact / slash is a big no.

DarkStar, pretty sure i live right near your pro shop and may just have to pay you a visit. guess i'm just a little intimidated by the local pro shop guys. stems back to the record store days when the "cool guy" at the counter would ask why i would be buying THAT record. and all he had going for him was a separate entrance to his mom's basement

All great folks working there. I'll stop by and just hang out if I'm early for men's league games.

I think as long as you try out the stick to puck handle and maybe take a couple of wristers are ok. Some people are finicky... I for one, dont mind guys that I know trying out my sticks.