Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badger_14

Boston (Revere) Black Friday Mini-Tournament 11/27

FMC Ice Sports, which operates many of the state-owned rinks here in Massachusetts, is hosting mini-tournament at the Cronin Arena in Revere on Friday, November 27th starting at 5:30pm. I believe it will be half-ice, 3v3 with goalies. They are primarily trying to draw from their own beginner programs, but it's open to all novice players.

$50/player, $0/goalies

See more info here

Trying to get the word out as much as possible so enough people sign up for this to actually happen (because I, personally, would like to play).

ETA: Sadly, FMC decided to cancel this tournament for lack of sign-ups, but sent out a notice saying they will try again in the spring for another in a similar format.

FMC Ice Sports, which operates many of the state-owned rinks here in Massachusetts,

MOST???? yikes, they have 2 dozen locations! i cant believe you would have other rinks that could compete. i don't think we have 2 dozen public rinks in all of NJ. (i kid i kid, i'm sure we do) Still, that a lot of locations for one company, can you say monopoly?

BTW: your link goes to a 404 error :/

I should edit - FMC unfortunately decided to cancel the tournament for lack of interest. :sad: But would like to try again in the spring. :smile:

Two dozen is hardly a fraction of all the rinks in the state. There are still many privately owned and operated rinks, many of which are available to the public for ice rental.

FMC is contracted to the state of Massachusetts Department of Conversation & Recreation. The DCR (or the agencies that preceded it) built many rinks. It still owns virtually all of them (they may have sold one or two properties - according to the DCR webpage, they own 41 rinks, including the ones operated FMC). FMC leases certain rinks for a nominal sum (it's literally like $1/year) from the state, in exchange for operating and maintaining them. Some of the other state rinks are leased by cities or towns, and at least one is operated by a partnership with a local private school. There are certain stipulations made by the state, including giving non-profit organizations priority, and offering a lower ice rate for non-profit youth organizations, and the DCR is ultimately responsible for capital maintenance as they would be with, say, a state park.

(I sound a bit like an advertiser for FMC and the DCR. I'm not, I just have too much time and curiosity on my hands. At one time I attempted to make a list of how many rinks there are in Massachusetts and failed.)