Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jratcl13

Tourist in the US

So, im coming over from the UK to Boston for the winter classic, and spending a few days in Boston before going to New York for a few days.

Catching a few games whilst im over, BOS v OTT on 28th, BOS vs MTL Winter Classic 1st, and NYR v DAL in New York on the the 5th of Jan.

Never been to the us before, so looking at a few tips on things that are really worth doing while im in Boston and New York, be it hockey shops, places to eat / drink or whatever.

cheers guys!!!

For Boston eats the North End is where it is at, easy walking distance from the Garden. Find one of the smaller places and avoid some of the Hanover Street tourist traps.

If you like nature (and of course, dependent on weather) there are some great parks to visit. The Forest Hills Cemetery is a good stroll, as is the Boston Nature Center (run by the Audubon Society).

Naturally, seafood is the big New England thing as far as local goes. There's a restaurant in Cambridge called the East Coast Grill that is infamous for spicy things. Roast Beast in Boston is a tiny, but tasty spot - their pulled pork sandwich is possibly an act of God.

I'm guessing you're not bringing skates (or maybe you are). The Frog Pond rink on the Boston Common (not an actual pond) is always packed, but the Larz Anderson rink in Brookline is less so, and sits on top of a hill just to the southwest of the city.

I recommend the Museum of Fine Arts (Boston), and the Harvard Museum of Natural History (in Cambridge).

My favorite local hockey shop is Sports Etc. in Arlington, about 15-20 minutes outside the city (it is a 20 minute bus ride from Harvard Square, and my sense of time is skewed to public transit). Smallish, but good people, and they have a life-sized Bruins goalie carved from a tree, I kid you not. Also, they have a display with sticks from every team in the 1992-93 NHL season, all of which are signed by most if not all the team members.

New York City has the best pizza on the planet- just get "a slice" (or 2, or 3, or a pie). No toppings necessary (unless you insist on pepperoni or extra cheese or something).

The best recommendation I can give for NYC is skip Times Square.

agreed, TSQ is a Sh!t Show. no need to spend any (or very little time) there. AND with you being here right around NYE it will be even worse. one titbit about TSQ, its in your lease rider that you MUST emit a certain about of light from your store front at ALL TIMES. so even in the dead of night it looks like day time. (the corporation i work for has a Flagship store there) the Barkley's Center (islanders new barn) is also a good place for a game, if they're in town, i haven't had time to look. lots of level with bars and food all over it.

...if this weather holds out for you, go to the HIGHLINE. def something you'd only see in NYC.

Herald Square (also right near MSG) Macy's Holiday windows will be up, (as well as all the other large dept stores)

if you have time, wander around Grand Central and look up.

places to eat:

La Birreria. LOTS of good beer and good food, if you sit at a table you have to order a meal tho

https://www.eataly.com/us_en/nyc-la-birreria/

Penn6 right near MSG and packed before a game.

http://www.pennsylvania6nyc.com/

or if you need a dive bar near MSG try the Blarney ROCK. its a good watering hole.

http://blarneyrockpub.com/

Jr's Cheesecake

https://www.juniorscheesecake.com/

the original shake shack

https://www.shakeshack.com/location/madison-square-park/

and while you're down there, try Hill Country Chicken

http://www.hillcountrychicken.com/

Legends is a good watering hole (with good food) and its across the street from the Empire State Building.

http://www.legends33.com/index_nm.html

IF you go up to the Empire State Building, DO NOT buy your tickets from the guys in the orange coats. wait on the line and buy them in the building. they're cheaper and get you to the top at the same time.

take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry (just don't get off. turn around and go right back to Manhattan.

downtown, the west village, and Tribeca are always places to roll through and people watch.

i work right around the corner from MSG, so feel free to PM me if you're stuck looking to do something (just don't ask for Bail money)

just do me a favor, when you stop to "look up", please don't do it in the middle of the sidewalk, or at the top of the subway stairs. there'a a ton of us trying to get to work and /or home.

GAB

I grew up in New York City and went to college in Boston. More than anything I recommend walking in both cities. Boston even more so than NYC. You can walk just about all of the touristy parts of that city in a day, maybe two. New York is great for walking too, but also use the subway. It's part of the experience and covers the city so well. Don't bother with taxis unless you really have to (the exception being to/from the airport).

New York Attractions

Take the Circle Line, it's a boat tour that circles the island of Manhattan. It's narrated, great, really informative, lets you see and learn a lot from a very interesting perspective.

Right next to the Circle Line terminal pier is the Intrepid aricraft carrier museum, which houses a ton of decommissioned military aircraft, if that's your thing (it's not mine so I don't know much about it, but it's right there).

The Staten Island Ferry is a fantastic very cheap option to get a pretty good close look at the Statue of Liberty and New York harbor without spending the time and money to go on the island and see the museum. (Just noticed that Beardo mentioned this too... spot on)

The museums are world-class. Natural History, the Met, Guggenheim, Museum of Modern Art, The Cloisters (an overlooked destination that I highly recommend - it's a museum made of a number of medieval abbeys and monasteries that were purchased by... one of the Rockefellers, disassembled, shipped to NY, and reassembled on this spot in northern Manhattan. They're better in the spring when the gardens are in bloom, but still great. But if you don't like museums, don't bother. The thing with NY is if you have an interest, you can find a way to completely fulfill it. And, you could spend your entire time in the city just getting to know Central Park.

Coney Island used to be great and well worth the long subway ride, but I haven't been there in a long time and I think some of it has shut down. Maybe still worth a trip if you have time.

Boston Attractions

As I said before, you can really walk the bulk of the city in a day or two. Walking along the Charles River is nice. Walking down Newbury St. or Boylston St. (this is one of the main shopping drags) and ending up at Boston Common and the Public Garden is definitely recommended. Massachusetts Avenue across the Charles River and through Cambridge to Harvard Square is also a great walk. Faneuil Hall/Old North Church/Freedom Trail if you want to get your American history on, but if you're not married to that, they can be skipped.

A trip out to Walden Pond if you've ever read Thoreau. A trip out to Salem if witch-burning is your thing. - These are both trips out of town and so would require car rental or bus trip or somethiing like that, but both are fun destinations.

FOOD

I have lots of recommendations for food on a budget (I mean really budget - I was young when I lived in these cities) in both, so if that piques your interest, let me know and I can expound, but I'll keep it to a few of my top recommendations to start.

New York

2nd Avenue Deli. Pastrami sandwich.

Pizza just about anywhere, by the slice. Don't go to Sbarro (it's a terrible chain that dots midtown and it's mediocre at best).

If you like middle eastern food, check out Mahmoun's Falafel near Washington Square Park. Cheap, delicious, perfect fuel for a walk around Greenwich Village.

As iconic as the New York "dirty water dog" from a cart is, if you're going to get a hot dog, go to Grey's Papaya at 72nd and Broadway. Cheaper and so much better. Or maybe the original Nathan's at Coney Island if you go there.

Boston

North End for Italian food. As has been mentioned, lots of great seafood around.

One place that is out of the way but a great place for a nice big gut-busting American breakfast/brunch is Mike's City Diner in the South End. http://www.mikescitydiner.com

Anna's Tacqueria for amazing quick-serve (but really not "fast food") Mexican.

Don't bother with taxis unless you really have to (the exception being to/from the airport).

New York Attractions

Take the Circle Line, it's a boat tour that circles the island of Manhattan. It's narrated, great, really informative, lets you see and learn a lot from a very interesting perspective.

Right next to the Circle Line terminal pier is the Intrepid aricraft carrier museum, which houses a ton of decommissioned military aircraft, if that's your thing (it's not mine so I don't know much about it, but it's right there).

The museums are world-class. Natural History, the Met, Guggenheim, Museum of Modern Art, The Cloisters (an overlooked destination that I highly recommend - it's a museum made of a number of medieval abbeys and monasteries that were purchased by... one of the Rockefellers, disassembled, shipped to NY, and reassembled on this spot in northern Manhattan. They're better in the spring when the gardens are in bloom, but still great. But if you don't like museums, don't bother. The thing with NY is if you have an interest, you can find a way to completely fulfill it. And, you could spend your entire time in the city just getting to know Central Park.

Pizza just about anywhere, by the slice. Don't go to Sbarro (it's a terrible chain that dots midtown and it's mediocre at best).

i can vouch for all of the above, cloisters is AWESOME but the weather needs to be kinda mild. i've been there on a raw fall day, it was not all that fun.

other pizza to stay away from is the dollar slice. its that cheap for a reason. that said, there are a FEW good dollar slices to be found in the city,

as an art major you'd think i'd say something about the museums. yeah theres a Sh!t ton of them. and if you want culture try getting twofers to just about anything on B-way at TKTS: https://www.tdf.org/nyc/8/Locations-Hours

if you take the subway make sure you swipe your metrocard the right way the first time. or just don't try it during rush hour

oh and always keep your eye out for the hookers ;)

Salem, Mass. is actually a quick (25-30 minute) train ride from North Station/Boston Garden. It'll put you right in the heart of downtown Salem.

So, im coming over from the UK to Boston for the winter classic, and spending a few days in Boston before going to New York for a few days.

Catching a few games whilst im over, BOS v OTT on 28th, BOS vs MTL Winter Classic 1st, and NYR v DAL in New York on the the 5th of Jan.

Never been to the us before, so looking at a few tips on things that are really worth doing while im in Boston and New York, be it hockey shops, places to eat / drink or whatever.

cheers guys!!!

SO... how was the trip???

SO... how was the trip???

It was amazing, ended up watching 5 games. Caught a last minute NYI v DAL game the barclays center. Bit of a shame Boston didn't really turn up for the winter classic, but still had an amazing day.

Ended up eating at Penn 6 and the original shake shack among loads of other placed in NYC so thanks for the recommendations.

Also rented a car in Boston and spend a decent amount of my spending money in hockey monkey, Norwood.

All in all, weather was good..Didnt really have a bad meal the whole time i was in the US, everyone i met or delt with was friendly as helpful... Literally cant complain about a thing, which is great!