Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bunnyman666

Skate Gurus: What size Reebok cowling on a size 8 Graf skate?

I already don't think I am going to like the Graf cowling by virtue of how the blade attaches, but also by the width of the Graf cowling. I wear a size 7.5 ccm and Reebok skate. I want to use the Reebok cowling and am hoping I can get the Graf boot into a size 7 Reebok Customlite cowling. If not, I am perfectly happy buying a properly-sized Reebok Customlite cowling.

I would only be doing this IF the Graf skate fits. Yes, I bought through the internet.

Thanks, beedee.

I did a Google search, and saw that basically one answer said to try several shells with Graf boots; there is more room than it looks to be according to noicing sports in a forum reply. I am not going to lie- I have a couple of hundred in Step blades that fit a size 7 Reebok Customlite shell; but if that won't go, I will cut my losses and get a modern cowling that I can get Step Steel to fit. The Graf cowlings look so wide compared to the skate.

I am having a love/hate relationship with Reebok boots at the moment. With my documented foot problems, I need alternatives yesterday!!!! I understand that for the most part that Graf boots are easy on the feet, which is why I am trying them.

Just figured it out- The Graf run 1/2 small. It will be a tight fit, and I may even have to cut the cowling to fit. I may have to add some material back for the arch-side shots, but that's okay.

It's scary how huge the sidewall of the cowlings are! Graf are very wide in the cowling itself (doesn't allow for quite as drastic of attack angle). The only place that may be a squeeze is the heel, which may result in the cutting down of the heel area and maybe part of the sidewall. If I lose protection, there is always West Systems epoxy and fibreglass fabric.

Where I figured out that I have a prayer of the Graf boot fitting into the 1/2 size smaller cowling is that an 8.5 Graf skate doesn't go into a 9 Graf cowling; you always go 1/2 size down if it is, for example, a size 8.5 Graf skate goes into an 8 cowling. I made that mistake with Reebok skates, shoving a size 7.5 skate into a 7 cowling. It worked on the 16K skate (barely), but took a little Dremel work to shove the 7.5 CCM boot into the 7 cowling. I think we could be okay without cutting!

Thanks, beedee for looking!

A size 7 CCM/Reebok cowling can have a size 8 Graf boot shoved in to fit. I am probably going to give some relief in fitting by cutting some of the rear cowling, but the boot does fit with a little modification. I generally like a shorter blade so that it skates more like a player skate. Offhand, I think a size 7 goalie runner is between 30-50mm longer when compared to the runner I use on a size 7 skate.

A size 7 CCM/Reebok cowling can have a size 8 Graf boot shoved in to fit. I am probably going to give some relief in fitting by cutting some of the rear cowling, but the boot does fit with a little modification. I generally like a shorter blade so that it skates more like a player skate. Offhand, I think a size 7 goalie runner is between 30-50mm longer when compared to the runner I use on a size 7 skate.

To touch more on that. When I switched out the Graf cowlings for the Bauer I noticed right away that I was dragging my toe, more like catching my toe with the Bauer cowlings and steel. They are slightly longer than the Graf, it definitely took some getting used to when initiating a slide.

To touch more on that. When I switched out the Graf cowlings for the Bauer I noticed right away that I was dragging my toe, more like catching my toe with the Bauer cowlings and steel. They are slightly longer than the Graf, it definitely took some getting used to when initiating a slide.

Some like a "longer wheelbase", as for some, it (longer blade) actually digs in and helps your pushes if you can get used to it. Again, I like th shorter blade, and I can do some serious tricks on my goal skates! I took lessons from a coach who is primarily a figure skater, and properly executing Cosby turns, mohawk turns, and 3 turns were part of my schtick. It was much easier to get used to the short blades, and Overdrive blades prevent slip outs AND help me move from side-to-side.

The weird part about Graf runners is that they are already banana'd. Weird...