Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

houk

Lace bite help/advice

Hey guys. I'm currently wearing Graf G5's and I broke the left blade on it. I had it replaced with Stepsteel because the local shops around here don't carry Cobra runners anymore. The last 2 times when I skated, I have severe lacebite on my left skate. I've owned the graf's for 6 years now and never had any problems. Do you guys think that the stepsteel blade is causing this issue or do you think the skate tongue is broken down?

Ken

Can't comment on the holder change. But try switching to non-waxed, thick laces and get a bunga pad. It helped me recover pretty quickly without taking time off like I have in the past.

Your tongue is breaking down. It won't go away unless you do something about it. I've battled with it for many years and tried many things to manage it. You have many options but the only 2 guaranteed fixes for lace bite that I know of are either the custom boot path or a flex 55 type of arrangement. I could not wear my apx2's until I made my own flex 55, simple enough to do out of 3mm leather and a trip to the shoe repairer for the eyelets.

Hey guys. I'm currently wearing Graf G5's and I broke the left blade on it. I had it replaced with Stepsteel because the local shops around here don't carry Cobra runners anymore. The last 2 times when I skated, I have severe lacebite on my left skate. I've owned the graf's for 6 years now and never had any problems. Do you guys think that the stepsteel blade is causing this issue or do you think the skate tongue is broken down?

Ken

Are you skating with one new STEP runner and one old Cobra? Your post isn't quite clear. If you are, stop now and put Step in both holders.

I use a pair of those weight-lifting hand pads that you can get for $5 at any gym. Cut one in half, stuck a half under each tongue, and I've gotten a few hundred hours out of just one pad; and I crank my laces as tight as anybody. Not a hint of lace-bite. Without them, my instep is a bloody mess after a few hours of ice time.

Get these... fixed my lace bit problem immediately. They stick to the tongue with a velcro like backing and you don't have to remember to keep them floating around in your bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Hockey-Lace-Bite-Gel/dp/B00VEEVV2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450431278&sr=8-1&keywords=elite+lace+bite+gel+pad

+1

The tongue on my Supreme 180's broke down almost as soon as I got on the ice the first time and I had horrible lace bite. Stuck these in and haven't had the problem since.

Is there a different profile on the Cobras than on the STEP runners?

Give your feet a week or two to heal. Lacebite is tendinitis. The inflammation needs to go away.

Then try skipping the 2nd eyelet down and report back.

Get these... fixed my lace bit problem immediately. They stick to the tongue with a velcro like backing and you don't have to remember to keep them floating around in your bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Hockey-Lace-Bite-Gel/dp/B00VEEVV2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450431278&sr=8-1&keywords=elite+lace+bite+gel+pad

I haven't tried those (haven't needed to), but I've had multiple local people say they've been the key to treat and prevent their lacebite.

These put the tongue/lace pressure on the outside pads and let the tendon ride in the middle without any pressure.

How do you make the flex 55 yourself?

I used 3mm thick leather, cut it into 2 square shaped pieces, punched 6 x 5mm holes in each piece, visited the shoe repair shop to get 12 eyelets put in, tied them to the boots using old laces (the center hole was threaded twice so I could easily tie the lace off) and then thread the inner eyelets as usual when lacing up.

The 3mm thick leather I got from a leather shop as offcuts, they use this thickness of leather to make belts from. If you don't have a leather punch a shoe repair shop should have one and be able to do it for you.

I've posted a couple of photos

http://i1198.photobu...0926_110330.jpg

http://i1198.photobu...0926_173313.jpg

Happy to send you measurements and more photos if you want. Could even knock a base pair up for if you want, no eyelets fitted, as I still have some spare leather lying around. Total cost was around $15, most of that was spent with the shoe repair man. Worth every dollar I spent on it and having made them and used them I would now spend any amount to keep these in place. You could say I am one of those more on the extreme side of lace bite, small feet but a lot of volume and a sensitive tendon. I tried everything - lace bite pads, another tongue, leather strips, gel pads etc etc and eventually settled on a forsberg pad made from 1/2" pipe insulation and these kept me in my skates, just. Pita to tape up for every skate and when I forgot them I couldn't skate and when I was in my skates for too long or to often the tendon would often ache. Since I've fitted these home made eyelet extensions I have never given lace bite another thought..

I just got new Bauer 1X skates, and I get lacebite depending on the type of socks I wear. It sounds crazy, but I've definitely confirmed it. The skate sock that works best for me is the Bauer NG Premium socks (sell for like $20 on amazon). They are a little pricey, but when I wear them, I don't get lacebite. When I wear any other sock, I get lacebite.