Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikeWhy

Stick flex (Flex when shooting vs. everything else)

So I normally always used a 77 flex(or 75 if i used non bauer) and when i cut it, it goes to roughly a 92-96ish flex. Well a buddy of mine recommended me trying out a higher flex and I did. I went to a 87 flex 1x. I feel like receiving passes has improved and battling for pucks has improved slightly. The main thing is definitely the catching of passes. However I feel like the flex for shooting just doesnt let me get all I possible can out of it. I'm 5'6, 150ish and when i cut down the 87 its roughly a 106 flex. So what would be the best solution for this? Go back to a 77/75 and just work more on my technique receiving passes or work on pushing down on the stick more? My next stick will most likely either be a ccm reckoner or a 1N if that dictates whether it will play softer or stiffer

Edit: I feel like maybe the stiffer flex thing was in my head because my buddy said how even when you cut the stick, the bottom part is still built in a way that is still a 77 flex. For example no matter how short I cut it, the bottom of the shaft and blade are unaffected. Is it possible it was just in my head that I noticed a difference on receiving passes and puck battling?

If you're 5'6, 150 I definitely dont think you should be using a stick that when cut is over 100 flex. I'm 5"10/165 and ive been using 82 flex the last couple years. Why dont you try and 82 flex, if not go back to 77?

The standard saying is the flex should be about half your weight when cut.

I'm 5'8" 165. I usually use Warrior Int 70 flex and CCM RBZs from when they had them at shorter heights at 75 flex at 58". The Reckoner, I believe is now at 59."

When I first dropped down to 70 flex. It took me a while to adjust, when it came to stickhandling, shooting, and receiving passes. About 2 months. My mechanics changed a lot, but I feel I have to do less to get off a quality shot.

Generally, people in the 5'6"-5'9" range have a difficult time with stick heights. I can't say enough great things about borrowing sticks at a stick time or purchasing used sticks to experiment.

I'm not too keen on purchasing a top end twig when you are trying to change things, but if you have the disposable income, by all means...

I'm 5'6".

You can use any flex sticks. This is true. There is no "correct". If you want to use stiffer stick, yes you should use such stick. Your hockey will be decided by your choice.

But our height is not enough. Tall men can flex and shoot easier than us. So I had used 85flex stick with cutting at eye like Martin St.Louis for long time. It continued until I graduated university. Then now I've been using 65flex stick with cutting at chin like Phil Kessel. Maybe within this month I will get new a dozen sticks which was produced 55flex. The 2 theories are both great. They have good/bad points each other. There is no "correct", just only your choice.

Please note,

If you changed your stick flex lower, you should change your blade angle more deeper.

5'7", 145lbs. Just wanted to say it's rough being in the in-between intermediate/senior height and weight. I also use 77's and cut them down into the 90's. My favorite so far has been the Nexus 1000. Maybe some day I'll try the 1N.

I am 6'3" and use a 75 flex uncut 60" stick.

it sits right under my jaw while I am on skates. It is much easier to load up for a quick wrist/snapshot which I personally like. Slapshots are still pretty powerful, but I take it easy on those because I don't want to break the stick/hurt someone.

Stickhandling and passing are fantastic as well.

All personal preference though. I have used all 60" sticks from 100-75 flex and settled on 75 for right now.

I am currently looking for my next stick to be 63-64" and leaving that uncut so it comes up to my nose-ish area while on skates with an 85-95 flex since I currently play defense and my 60" stick can be a little short at times.

So I normally always used a 77 flex(or 75 if i used non bauer) and when i cut it, it goes to roughly a 92-96ish flex. Well a buddy of mine recommended me trying out a higher flex and I did. I went to a 87 flex 1x. I feel like receiving passes has improved and battling for pucks has improved slightly. The main thing is definitely the catching of passes. However I feel like the flex for shooting just doesnt let me get all I possible can out of it. I'm 5'6, 150ish and when i cut down the 87 its roughly a 106 flex. So what would be the best solution for this? Go back to a 77/75 and just work more on my technique receiving passes or work on pushing down on the stick more? My next stick will most likely either be a ccm reckoner or a 1N if that dictates whether it will play softer or stiffer

Edit: I feel like maybe the stiffer flex thing was in my head because my buddy said how even when you cut the stick, the bottom part is still built in a way that is still a 77 flex. For example no matter how short I cut it, the bottom of the shaft and blade are unaffected. Is it possible it was just in my head that I noticed a difference on receiving passes and puck battling?

Your buddy clearly doesn't understand physics. While the shaft doesn't physically get any stiffer when you cut it, you have a shorter lever to apply force. Thus it takes more strength to bend the shorter shaft the same 1 inch.

I'm 5'10 and 180lbs. I currently use a 92 flex cut to be right under my chin on skates. It's probably stiffer than what would be "recommended" based on weight but I like the feel of it and to me feel is most important. I rarely take slap shots, I'm more of a wrist, snap shot player and don't like the feel of a whippy stick. It's all preference really.

Unfortunately, it's a series of compromises when it comes to sticks. What works best for wrist shots isn't going to work best for slapshots and neither is going to work best for stick handling or puck battles. You could make a case for going with whatever combination makes up for your greatest weakness or enhances your biggest strength or even going with something in the middle that isn't ideal for anything but is a good middle ground for everything.

Well what would you guys suggest I do if I want an 85ish flex at about 55inches? Cause i feel like intermediates are too soft and i hardly need to cut them. Are there any pro stocks that are that short? I cant see there being any.

You might be able to look at some models that have a 'middle ground". I managed to find some pro stock sticks in the past that were 80 flex, and found that they were the best all round performance. For me the 75 flex is too soft, the 85 is too stiff... Its finding Goldilocks to suit your style of play and your own shooting mechanics.

mybauer makes an int 75 flex total one. that's as close as you'll probably get at somewhat retail or base hockey can put some together for ya.

Well what would you guys suggest I do if I want an 85ish flex at about 55inches? Cause i feel like intermediates are too soft and i hardly need to cut them. Are there any pro stocks that are that short? I cant see there being any.

I just shopped sticks the past few days. Alot of the CCM sticks would cut to about that flex. They have a 75 flex Ribcore Reckoner, Tacks, and Speedburner that would cut to approx 80 flex at 56 inches I believe. You taking it an inch or two shorter might be a sweet spot!

I just shopped sticks the past few days. Alot of the CCM sticks would cut to about that flex. They have a 75 flex Ribcore Reckoner, Tacks, and Speedburner that would cut to approx 80 flex at 56 inches I believe. You taking it an inch or two shorter might be a sweet spot!

This is nudging me towards my choice to go with ccm aha

Unfortunately, it's a series of compromises when it comes to sticks. What works best for wrist shots isn't going to work best for slapshots and neither is going to work best for stick handling or puck battles. You could make a case for going with whatever combination makes up for your greatest weakness or enhances your biggest strength or even going with something in the middle that isn't ideal for anything but is a good middle ground for everything.

Agree with much of this statement. In golf you get a bag full of clubs highly specialized for each situation you may encounter. That coupled with the fact that in golf you can take all kinds of practice swings. You have to realize that actual hockey game situations are full of compromises. What I always look for is a swiss army knife of hockey sticks. Something that works damn good in a number of situations. This is why I prefer a good mid flex stick. You can receive pretty hard passes with softer flexes.. It's just a matter of softening up your mitts and learning to reach out and real the pass in ( or cradle as it comes in ). It does take a bit more skill, but with practice it can be done. I find the benefits of softer flexes far outweigh the negatives.