Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey All,

took a spill the other night playing pickup, and a bruised my coccyx. (tailbone). Didn't think anything of it until I finished my shift and sat on the bench. Two days later its a little tender, but feeling better since the morning after. I'm not super concerned I broke anything, but I don't want it to happen again. I'm currently skating in Graf G700 Sr. Ice Hockey Pants (i picked them up for 20 bucks). There doesn't seem to be too much protection in the hindquarters. Is there any other padding I can add to what I have now, or should I just bite the bullet and get a pair with more protection "back there"

my other option I guess would be to NOT fall?

gab

You could always add protection from another pair of pants and stitch them in, a few people here have done so. I've added the tailbone padding from an old Bauer inline girdle to some Easton pants, feels like I imagine diapers would when sitting on the bench, but excellent protection.

My first suggestion would be to get a more protective pant, but you could also supplement what you have with a minimalist inline girdle or a pair of impact shorts (I think that's what they're called; they are essentially a pair of compression shorts with foam padding in the hips and tailbone) I have a pair of impact shorts by Shock Doctor that I wear for rec inline, but Nike and other companies make them for football, soccer, etc.

Regardless, you'll be feeling that one for awhile. When I was about 14, I was skating backward through the neutral zone at a good rate of speed, lost an edge at center ice, flew up in the air about three feet very cartoonishly in something similar to a sitting position, and dropped straight down on my tailbone. In hindsight, I was lucky I only bruised it, but man did that hurt. I couldn't sit down on the bench for the rest the game and I think I cried just bending to change out of my clothes... Fond memories.

yeah, you're lucky it's just bruised. I broke mine a few years ago and it was close to 2 years before I could sit for any period of time without wanting to cry. if it's bothering you head to a medical supply shop and buy one of those special cushions. I used to take mine almost everywhere. it was the only thing that made life bearable.

oh, and learn to fall to the side a little bit..... :)

Ive done this before, it sucks. It hurt to sit for a couple weeks after. I was using some low level pants at the time, so I went to the store and looked at everything to try and find something with a really beefy ass guard.

What I discovered is that while some models are a little better than others, even the best ones weren't really that different from the pants I already had. The top end models did seem to have some more hard plastic or denser foams there, but most things inbetween price wise were more or less the same. I didn't want to spend the money for a top end pant and didn't really think the protection they offered (aside from the minimal difference to the tail bone) was necessary for me. I just stayed with my old pants for a while, but I did finally just buy the CCM Tacks 4052, mostly just because my old ones were getting holes in the sides. Your experience might be different, but I think the best option is to add some more protection yourself.

I think the fit might have been a factor for me too as my old pants fit basically like baggy shorts all around, so the pads probably didn't stay where they were supposed to very well. The new Tacks pants fit me much more snuggly up top which should help.

oh, and learn to fall to the side a little bit..... :)

yeah i usually do, i kinda got up-ended this time. i was more concerned with smashing my head into the boards since i was flying backwards at the time.

i think i've found my solution... just look for the guy on the ice with his thumb in the air, that will be me :laugh:

http://img1.wantitall.co.za/prodimages/Junior-Bohn-ButtSaver-Butt-amp-Tailbone-Protector__41ipydNsdpL.jpg

If you choose to upgrade the pants check out the CCM RBZ or look for a pair of CL on clearance, Easton Pro 15. They are all top end pants and have a great amount of padding, the Eastons have the most I've found in a while. I've heard in the past Tackla offered a great amount of tail bone protection in their top end pants but maybe a little harder to find as I don't think they are as popular any more.

I did this and had already broken my tailbone a few years before (it's hell). I would definitely upgrade pants if you have the means to do so.

ok, so here's my update. i ordered a pair of CCM RBX 110 pants. they arrive tomorrow, we'll see how the azz is in them and i'll move forward from there. i may cannibalize my old pants for something i can sew into the back end of the CCMs.

its been a week since the crash landing, and the backend is still a little tender at spots. the biggest problem i had last night playing was getting over the boards at that "straddle point" and the bench felt a little hard last night. but then again, it was 10 degrees out, and we're playing in a "semi-open" rink.

ok, so here's my update. i ordered a pair of CCM RBX 110 pants. they arrive tomorrow, we'll see how the azz is in them and i'll move forward from there. i may cannibalize my old pants for something i can sew into the back end of the CCMs.

its been a week since the crash landing, and the backend is still a little tender at spots. the biggest problem i had last night playing was getting over the boards at that "straddle point" and the bench felt a little hard last night. but then again, it was 10 degrees out, and we're playing in a "semi-open" rink.

Where do you play, Secaucus? A co-worker skated there last night.

I had the same thing a few years ago where i landed on my tailbone and it took months before it felt ok. I couldn't extend my legs when skating without this very weird pain. Not fun. I started wearing Crashpads under my APX girdle and they have helped a ton.The crashpads are a padded pair of mesh shorts that seem to have a great balance between thick enough to do something but thin and flexible enough to move without me ever knowing they are there. I looked at a lot of the roller hockey compression shorts/girdles the padding was too small or too thin to really absorb any impact. The crashpads have a really nice sized triangle that covers the tailbone, and these longer pads that go from the side diagonally down the front covering the hips and thigh. I am a pretty new ice skater, so I lose my edges, or fall backwards a decent amount, and I have not had any pain at all.

try not to straddle right down the middle. get up on the boards and lean on one...uh...cheek. that's what I did.