Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

2015-16 Trade Season

Agreed. And I don't think either coach was clear in what role they wanted from him. Bouncing between 3 lines and no consistency make for a difficult environment to succeed. Hopefully both players get on track because they're both fun to watch. Just not so far this season.

Assist on the first goal tonight, he's catching some breaks in Anaheim

Holding Drouin out of game action makes sense considering the high value Tampa wants in return for him.

That usually happens when a deal in imminent. Until then, a team must find a way to showcase the asset for potential suitors.

Leafs managed to unload Phaneuf in 9 player deal:

http://www.tsn.ca/maple-leafs-deal-d-phaneuf-to-senators-in-nine-player-trade-1.435458

The Clarkson and Phaneuf contracts are two I thought the Leafs would have a really hard time trading, but they've managed to unload both of them. As a Habs fan this makes me sad as I think this is a good trade for the Leafs. If I was a Sens fan I'd be very upset.

Greening, Michalek and Cowen aren't exactly lighting it up, but their contracts and cap hits expire at the end of next season. The Sens are now saddled with a declining Phaneuf and a 7 mil per year cap hit until 2020/2021.

Why? Dion is a great player, his salary is high but he is a much better player than what the Senators gave away. Not to mention they aren't a cap team so taking the contract like that isn't as big as an issue.

Leafs got no real good players as a return (we'll see what happens to Tobias Lindberg) and it was clearly a cap dump, in that they can buy out 2 of the contracts that don't end this year for relatively cheap.

Phaneuf and Karlsson on the PP? Yes please.

I don't watch a tonne of Leaf games. I usually only watch them when they play the Habs, but when I do watch them Phaneuf has never impressed me; I do vividly recall Lars Eller making him look quite slow on a few occassions and Lars plays on Montreal's third line.

I also loved the big hit on his teammate

Brent Burns beats Phaneuf to the outside this season. Looks similar to the Eller goal, but he cuts in from the left side instead of the right

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/gotta-see-it-burns-undresses-kadri-embarasses-phaneuf-with-goal/

Good trade for both teams.

Phaneuf is a solid D, just not a #1. He improved greatly under Babcock, partly due to a reduced role. I imagine not having that C on his chest will help even more.

The players in return are nothing special but like others said the Leafs have plenty of room to eat short term contracts. AT WORST this boils down to a second round pick and some tradeable assets.

This is also one of the last remnants of the previous era which I'm personally happy to see going away. It also opens up the captaincy which isn't a bad thing either.

Good trade for both teams IMO.

In the last couple of years they've gotten out from under Kessel, Clarkson, and now Phaneuf. Are they going hog wild on July 1 or will the Leafs finally bite the bullet and realize that they can't just buy their way to being relevant?

Edit: after reading the particulars, the Leafs basically took Phaneuf's salary back via Michalek and Cowen. At least those expire in 2 years instead of 5 but they're still saddled. However, they might not even be close to done and could turn around and deal much of what they acquired since they are easier to swallow contracts.

Are they going hog wild on July 1 or will the Leafs finally bite the bullet and realize that they can't just buy their way to being relevant?

They HAVE realized that. Thats why we have new management and a completely different outlook on how to build a team.

They HAVE realized that. Thats why we have new management and a completely different outlook on how to build a team.

Lou didn't do a great job of building in the last bunch of years in NJ

Lou didn't do a great job of building in the last bunch of years in NJ

No, but a change in scenery helps but I think the bigger key is that I truly don't believe he's actually running the show there. He's there for contacts and respect, not so much for building a team. I think he's there to mentor Dubas more than anything.

Unless they dump some more contracts, we won't know until July 2nd 2017.

Raffi Torres and 2nd round picks in 2017 and 2018 traded for Roman Polak and Nick Spaling.

Really bummed about this one, but the Sharks get an upgrade.

22 hours ago, OptimusReim said:Hell be a huge help. Definitely happy about this one!17 goals, 17 assists and a -10 doesn't paint him as a huge part of the solution this year. He'll likely put up better numbers with Toews and Hossa, but how many guys wouldn't? 

23 hours ago, adam14 said:Andrew Ladd back to the Hawks essentially for Dano, a first and a conditonal. Jets also retain salary Normally, I would say that Chicago gave up way too much, but Q wasn't going to give Dano a top six role and the draft pick would have been stuck in Rockford for years. I guess it isn't going to hurt them to give up that kind of talent for a rental player.  I'd rather see Tuevo with Toews and Hossa and a veteran to help with PK and grinding out one goal leads. 

Well, guess I got the vets to help with the PK and grinding, just hate to see Daneault go the other way. The Hawks aren't going to be able to keep Kruger much longer and they are already having organizational/depth issues. The fact that Q won't play younger guys and let them develop at the NHL level is going to make it harder to fill all of the holes these moves have created for next season. 

That one stings a bit, but I guess if the goal is stripping the team down and getting as much as you can for every asset, it makes sense to trade the goalie that actually has some value. 

Toronto doing a much bigger gut of the team than I thought they would. Guess they are on at least a 5 year plan if not more for contention.

Per Sean Leahy of Yahoo Sports:

In a trio of moves made Saturday afternoon while his team played, Tallon acquired Jiri Hudler from the Calgary Flames for a 2016 second-round pick and a 2018 fourth rounderTeddy Purcell from the Edmonton Oilers for a 2016 third-round pick and Jakub Kindl from the Detroit Red Wings for a 2017 sixth-round pick. Detroit will also retain 15-percent ($360,000) of Kindl's $2.4 million cap hit/salary this season and next, per General Fanager.

Good moves for the Panthers, helps their depth a lot.

As far as personal interest goes, i think its a good move for the Wings and Kindl mutually. Too many young D men waiting/sitting in Grand Rapids, and frees up some cap space. The pick is a bonus.