Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

907rx7

Goalie Skate Grinds

I am curious who here has tried any sort of asymetrical grind(I'm not sure if that is the proper terminology). I work at a rink so I can constantly tinker with my skates on the sharpener. I've skated with everything from 1" to 1/4". I love the push I got from the 1/4" but it had too much bite standing up, especially shuffling. I settled for 3/8" for the longest time but recently I tried something different and I love it. After cross grinding my skates flat I offset the grinding wheel slightly to my inside edge. I sharpen them to 1/4" leaving the outside edge flat. Standing and shuffling feels like 3/8" but pushes in butterfly have the bite I want.

Has anyone else had anything done to their skates like this?

Love A-Trap. Of course A-trap is a Blackstone thing and there is a proper dressing wheel for the stone. But apparently, the asymmetrical grind has been around for a fair bit. I can even skate at a public session well on an asymmetrical grind. I will never go back.

I tried A-trap but at a fairly mild setting. I had no problems but also didn't notice any improvements.

However, the pro shop at my rink doesn't do it so I'm just sticking to a standard cut.

I'm normally 1/2 but I'm thinking of trying 3/8.

Funny you bring up things like asymmetrical skate sharpenings, as I saw (on another forum) a guy who was a Eddie Belfour artifact collector. You think Tim Thomas was a gear tinkerer and/or gear whore? I think the Eagle has Timmy beat in spades. On the bottom of his cowlings would have what that particular skate had as it's hollow. Of course that was before removable runners, as well. Of course the amount of Cordura on his pads as well as the thin foams in his pads could be it's own topic...

I never knew that some goalies did cross-cut, no hollow until reading about hollows some place (I think the overdrive blade page; not certain). The goalie skate and the blade sharpenings certainly will be a fluid topic for some time.