Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bulawa

Skate replacement advice

Dear community,
I find myself in a position to require advice from you.

I'm a Swiss amateur hockey referee, averaging 2-3 games a week, a bit over 20 years old, about 6 feet tall and weigh 83 kg (should be about 180-190 pounds).

I happen to own an MX3 (9D) I totally adore for the feel while skating. But in the last year my foot (the right one especially) grew significantly wider and the skate, already at the beginning a little bit too tightly fitting, can't be baked into shape. In addition, the center of pressure in the skate is well off the blade axis.

So I sought after replacement and slipped into an 1X and was delighted to take it out for a weekend with two games. It was a try out model, half a size too small (8.5D) and unbaked and left quite some pain as it was too narrow and I also cut into my legs outside, where the MX3 has the luxurious comfort edge. According to the guys at my LHS this is well known for the 1X.

At this time I really consider having a pair of 1X skated tailored to my needs and feet, thus featuring the tendon guard, comfort edge and tongue of the MX3, for I hate those fluffy tongues and adore the springboard effect of the stiff insert.
I'll also want to have the lacing of the 1X and awesome balance of the 1X / speedplate combo and if possible a softer version of the CURV.

This is where your opinion is required. Do you think there are other possibilities? Could maybe Graf or VHF handle it? Might it be worth waiting for the 1S? Or does something else come up someone's mind?
With the kindest of regards
Bulawa

Edit: The part of my foot that really widened is the forefoot, so I have quite a V shaped foot. Another thing I'd really like to have are the 280mm Edge holder I have on both my NXG and MX3, as I have a decent set of steels by now.

If you're finding the 9D Supreme is too narrow, and the 9EE is too wide in the heel. I'd suggest you try on the Jetspeed in 8.5D and 8.5EE. You could also try the 8.5EE Supreme. In my experience the Jetspeed sizing is similar to the RBZ, (half-size down from Bauer sizes).

If you're finding the 9D Supreme is too narrow, and the 9EE is too wide in the heel. I'd suggest you try on the Jetspeed in 8.5D and 8.5EE. You could also try the 8.5EE Supreme. In my experience the Jetspeed sizing is similar to the RBZ, (half-size down from Bauer sizes).

This. Personally, I needed a deeper boot and tried on several skates recently. The Jetspeed was a little wider than the Supremes. Too wide for my foot personally but not as wide as the Tacks or Nexus. Additionally, you would want to go a half size down as boo noted. Try those on first. If they still aren't wide enough, you're going to want to try a Nexus or Tacks boot on. Those are the widest offerings. If all else fails, get a customer boot from VH. That would solve your problem.

I'll try 8.5EE MX3 and maybe a 9D Nexus. I have to take quite a journey to get to the CMM retailer, but I'll go there again. I've been there two days ago and the 9D Jetspeed is nice, but not the pure awesomeness, and I would need to fit a Tuuk Endge onto it...

If it's your forefoot (anywhere from behind the toe box to in front of the ankle) then get the boot stretched. Any decent LHS should be able to do it otherwise I can show you how to do it yourself with some c-clamps. I've stretched my MX3's (now my sons) and apx2's by over 1cm outwards and have worked out how to stretch just one side eg the outside only.

Have you tried EE width Mako IIs?

I've tried on all the new Bauer's and none of them were all form fitting and comfortable as Mako's. However, they are a fairly low volume boot compared to most others, so if you have a big beefy foot, they might not work with out some tweaking. Give them a shot though.

Howdy,

If it's your forefoot (anywhere from behind the toe box to in front of the ankle) then get the boot stretched. Any decent LHS should be able to do it otherwise I can show you how to do it yourself with some c-clamps. I've stretched my MX3's (now my sons) and apx2's by over 1cm outwards and have worked out how to stretch just one side eg the outside only.

Interesting!

If you wouldn't mind an explanation / pics / whatever I'd love to see them. My foot seems to be wide in the middle part, between my toes and heel. I have some Vapor X40R inline skates that _kill_ my feet and I'd love to try stretching out this middle portion.

Mark

Howdy,

Interesting!

If you wouldn't mind an explanation / pics / whatever I'd love to see them. My foot seems to be wide in the middle part, between my toes and heel. I have some Nexus X40R inline skates that _kill_ my feet and I'd love to try stretching out this middle portion.

Mark

I fear for you, because, as far as I know, the X40R are not bakable, and cold-stretching them is, for me, a guaranteed way to ruin them

Today I met the pro sales rep. of my LHS and he's getting me a Nexus 8000 9D to try and if I get the opportunity, I'd like to get another shot at a 1X.
I'll also try to get my MX3 rebaked and wait for the 1S somewhen in late April.

He also figured that I basically would need an 8.5E/9E on the right and 9D on the left foot, so I guess I'll get a custom Bauer blend for next season and suffer through the rest of the season.

Easton skates are not in consideration, due tu the fact that the Easton reseller is quite far away and I have sort of a distaste fir Easton gear. CCM isn't completely out of the competition but I'll wait for their testing days in July, given I didn't pick Bauer by then....

I'm still open for discussion, but until I tried the Nx 8k, there isn't much I could do

I have a distaste for most Easton gear, too. But believe me, if you have the right foot, you might love the Mako's. There's no way for them to air mail them to you?? However, if you are being placed in a Nexus boot, you probably need more volume than what a Mako will have.

Good luck though.

Howdy,

I fear for you, because, as far as I know, the X40R are not bakable, and cold-stretching them is, for me, a guaranteed way to ruin them

I'm not sure either. I'm not finding anything with a quick search.

That said, being a low end skate they seem to be basically worthless so I'm not out much if it doesn't work. If I can't get it to work, I'm thinking I'll take the chassis off them and put it on a pair of CCM 2052's I have (another pair of low end skate that's not worth much).

Mark

Howdy,

Interesting!

If you wouldn't mind an explanation / pics / whatever I'd love to see them. My foot seems to be wide in the middle part, between my toes and heel. I have some Vapor X40R inline skates that _kill_ my feet and I'd love to try stretching out this middle portion.

Mark

As Bulawa said, I'd be reluctant to try this on an X40R with either a hot or cold stretch. However if you want to give it a go I will send you some pictures and an explanation of how I do it then it's up to you to try. Anything can be stretched over time but the amount of stretch you get out of the boot before you damage it is the issue.