Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tvaughan4

Base Nasty R questions

Thinking of trying the Nasty R, coming from the original Nasty, and wondered if anyone has tried both for a comparison. How's the puck feel (I know it's subjective) compared to the original Nasty. Also, I know they said the softened up the blade a bit for better toe shooting. Any opinions on how this affects slapshot/one-timer accuracy? if at all? Wondering if the blade isn't as good for the more powerful shots because of the softening up. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't have either the Nasty or the Nasty R in real life.

But when I emailed BASE hockey, they told me:

"The major differences from the Nasty R to the Nasty are as follows;

- 10 grams lighter than the nasty
- Has only the low kick point designed for ease in loading of the stick and quicker release
- plays 10 increments softer than nasty i.e. Nasty R 85 = Nasty 75
- is more of a finesse style players stick than a shooter's style of stick"

The Nasty has dual kick points (for both snapshots and slapshots), but the Nasty R only has the low kick point.

I have both in the RH Malkin curve, but they've been pushed down in the rotation now and don't get used much.

Both are good sticks and seem hold up pretty well. I would compare the Nasty to something like the SE16. The puck feel is more lively and less dampened than the Nasty-R and the kick point feels slightly higher as well. Also the flex rating feels fairly true compared to other low kick sticks. I personally really like the release and feel of the stick a lot.

The Nasty-R's weight feels more inline with other current top tier sticks, where the Nasty is a touch heavier (similar to most second tier sticks). The Nasty-R has a similar feel so something like a MX3 but is a low kick stick, however it does play about 5 flex softer than rated IMO.

Personally I don't really buy into the whole "this stick is better for slap shots and this one is better for wrist shots" marketing as IMO it all comes down to the preference and mechanics of the user.

Have both sticks in the BC28 curve, I actually ordered some Supernaturals in a BC92 just a couple of weeks ago when they had that deal going on.

I've had every Base stick and the Nasty R was probably my least favourite one out of the 4.

The Nasty R, I got that when they we're doing the special ops testing and just found that the shaft lacked the responsiveness that I normally feel with the other base sticks. Might be cause of the softer flex rating that caused that issue. The puck feel and weight of the stick is nice, I felt the puck feel was more dampened compared to the Nasty. I do find that the blade does give your shots some more pop when it fires off the blade. As for accuracy, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary that had a negative impact on where shots were going. Just didn't find the stick had a lot of pop.

I liked my Nasty, I compare to a Bauer x60 with a puck feel that's not as pingy and lively. It's a good stick but not quite my favourite. It's a bit heavier than the Nasty R but the difference isn't too big and the Nasty is still light. I liked the pop on it and it's overall a nice stick. The puck feel is more lively than the Nasty R but it's not pingy like a CCM RBZ or Easton RS.

My favourite stick is the Base Supernatural though, just love the feel, the stiff blade, the kickpoint its the perfect stick for me. It's been the stick I have liked the most out of every stick I've used and has a ton of pop. I just like it the best and have 2 more coming on the way.

Thanks for the replies, exactly the feedback I was looking for. I think I'll stick with the Nasty for the time being. I like stiff blades too, so maybe I'll give the supernatural a shot one of these days when there's another deal going around.

Thanks for the replies, exactly the feedback I was looking for. I think I'll stick with the Nasty for the time being. I like stiff blades too, so maybe I'll give the supernatural a shot one of these days when there's another deal going around.

Yeah you're welcome, usually they have a deal around Christmas time where you can buy 2 sticks and the 2nd is 40% off. My 2 intermediate Supernaturals were only 139.99 each so a good deal for sure.

i currently have the Super Natural senior 90 flex, i am looking to purchase the Nasty R
i love my Super Natural, but i also like the low kick point on the Nasty R

i tried the original Nasty during the special ops testing period, and i ordered an 85 flex.
i noticed that the Nasty 85 flex was way too soft, it felt like a 70-75

is the Nasty R softer than the original Nasty?
what flex should i get in order to have the same flex feel as my Super Natural 90 flex?

On 1/18/2017 at 0:19 PM, Riceonice said:

i currently have the Super Natural senior 90 flex, i am looking to purchase the Nasty R
i love my Super Natural, but i also like the low kick point on the Nasty R

i tried the original Nasty during the special ops testing period, and i ordered an 85 flex.
i noticed that the Nasty 85 flex was way too soft, it felt like a 70-75

is the Nasty R softer than the original Nasty?
what flex should i get in order to have the same flex feel as my Super Natural 90 flex?

I'm loving the Nasty R, it's great.

In terms of flex, I've had a different experience than you, but it's all about personal feel.  For me, mid-kicks tend to feel softer than low-kicks in the same flex.  I originally had a Nasty and Supernatural in both 85 flex.  To me, the Nasty felt a bit stiffer than the Supernatural, I'd say about 5 or so.  But I'd say the Nasty R is softer than both.  I dropped down to an 80 flex on the Nasty R because of a wrist injury and old age.  The 80 flex Nasty R feels about 10 softer than the Supernatural at 85, but it's a bit hard to say because of the different flex profile.  The Nasty R is so much nicer to load on wristers and snappers, but slappers are still good, reminds me a lot of the SE16 :biggrin:  Needless to say I'm waiting for another discount sale to get more...

just an update. i got my Nasty R sticks last week. the 95 flex feels slightly softer than my 90 supernatual flex. more like a 87 bauer flex.

after two games, i am very impressed with the Nasty R. it feels sooooooooo good to shoot with. with little effort, my snap shots and wristers are flying off my stick.

this is what they really mean by 'shooting fire' lol. im definitely very impressed with the Nasty R and i'm super pleased with it.

On 2017-02-15 at 9:37 AM, Riceonice said:

just an update. i got my Nasty R sticks last week. the 95 flex feels slightly softer than my 90 supernatual flex. more like a 87 bauer flex.

after two games, i am very impressed with the Nasty R. it feels sooooooooo good to shoot with. with little effort, my snap shots and wristers are flying off my stick.

this is what they really mean by 'shooting fire' lol. im definitely very impressed with the Nasty R and i'm super pleased with it.

Glad to hear it! The Nasty R with an Extra Stiff blade is my personal favourite. What are the specs on your new twig? Curve, blade stiffness, shaft and blade coating, etc?

On 2/19/2017 at 11:23 AM, MrData said:

Glad to hear it! The Nasty R with an Extra Stiff blade is my personal favourite. What are the specs on your new twig? Curve, blade stiffness, shaft and blade coating, etc?

sorry for the late reply, yea i got the Nasty R with the Extra Stiff blade.
BC88 Kane curve
Extra Stiff Blade
Clear Coat (i like it nice and clean)
blade coat i think for extra stiff i could only get the sharkskin.