Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eagle206

Big Skates

Hello All.

I have been searching for a pair of skates for a while now.

I am 6 foot 6, about 350 lbs, I would love to say that Its all muscle, but its not. lol. I wear a size 15 shoe usually, though currently in a pair of size 16 vans as this style seems to run small. Im 35. I played a couple of seasons of Adult league about 8 years ago, I was never very good, but I enjoyed it and miss it.

I started off with a pair of Reebok 3k's I think... And I have a Bauer Vapors I think now, Im not at home. They are rather narrow on my foot however and hurt.

I have been looking, and talking to the LHS, and they can't find anyone who is even manufacturing anything at the moment in my size. I managed to find some Grafs and Tacks that I thought would work for me on ebay. The CCM were Tacks 13d 3052, and were a touch small... if they had been 13.5 they would have been great, but well they werent. The grafs were Super103 size 13.5 and were way too small, my toes were majorly curled in the box. They felt like had they fit they would have been good skates.

So It appears from the LHS that I will need to custom order them. They tell me that I can probably custom order a pair of tacks 4052 for 450 or so or 6052 for 700 or 800. The other choice is a pair of VH's for 800? Are there any other options out there? Any suggestions for which choice might work well? is there any reason NOT to do one of those choices? Any other thoughts/clarifying questions?

Thank you

You say that the Tacks were "a touch too small", were they just snug or actually painful? If they are very close, they may break in a bit and give you the room that you need. Wearing an extremely thin sock (or none at all), as opposed to a "normal" tube sock, can make a quarter size difference as well. If those really aren't an option, I would consider ordering a pair of the Tacks in the 13.5, as it sounds like they would have otherwise worked out for you and you already know how they are going to fit. As far as the two different models, I would leave that to your budget and how much you think that you will use them.

they were right there on that line, with no socks at all... where I could put them on, but skating in them? I think that would have been painful. my pinky toe and the next toe were starting to curl in them, and my big toe wasn't curled but was definitely brushing the toe cap.

Thank you for the thoughts.

You have Bauer Vapours and they fit length wise? If so get them stretched width wise to help with the fit, your local LHS should be able to do this. Are they a D width or EE? If a D width then try and find an EE width as that will give you a little bit more length (the last of an EE is slightly longer than a D).

If you only need a 1mm - 2mm of extra length then you might want to consider getting the toe box stretched out. Its risky as it can pull the toe box right out of the skate but I know a few players who have had this done with retail boots to get a fit when their feet are different sizes. It's also hard to find an LHS who will do this, you will have to ask around.

I have about the same size, you might be a hair larger. I just got a pair of vapor x:60 13EE they are too wide for me but feel much longer then the 13c AA other pair I have. I assume because of the wider heel my foot goes all the way back and the toe cap is much larger. Turns out these are actually a little wide for me causing some slippage. Only wore them twice. My search continues.

I have about the same size, you might be a hair larger. I just got a pair of vapor x:60 13EE they are too wide for me but feel much longer then the 13c AA other pair I have. I assume because of the wider heel my foot goes all the way back and the toe cap is much larger. Turns out these are actually a little wide for me causing some slippage. Only wore them twice. My search continues.

I meant x80 not x:60